IGNORED

My wife got a Switch for Christmas...

x=usr(1536)

Any recommendations for games to check out?

She's already picked up Super Mario Odyssey (which I'm looking forward to clocking some time on) and is also planning on getting The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. I'm not much of an RPGer, so that's one's all her :)

Been going through the store and was pleasantly surprised to see both Doom and L.A. Noire in there. But is there anything a bit off the beaten track that's worth looking into, or other major titles we should pay attention to?

• Like 1

Stardew Valley is pretty good if you like Harvest Moon type games.

I've heard Golf Story is really good, and it's some sorta of golf-RPG thing. It's supposed to be pretty funny and entertaining.

I've enjoyed Cave Story (always good!), Master Blaster Zero (remake of original), and Mighty Gunvolt Burst (Mega Man-esque clone) as well.

There's also something called Oceanhorn that's sort of a 3D isometric Zelda-style game. I played a demo and liked it, but haven't bought it because I've got so much on my plate.

Mario Kart 8 is the big obvious one for major titles. But as far as off-the-beaten-path, I'm kind of looking into Blossom Tales on the Nintendo Shop, as it's a Zelda 2D clone, which I like. :P

Mario Kart 8 is on the to-acquire list, definitely. Blossom Tales looks interesting; I'll point her towards it. Definitely more her sort of thing than mine, but that's cool - it's her Nintendo ;)

Many of the Neo Geo titles in the eShop are great.

I've heard that they're really well done. Probably going to skip them, though, since we've got a MAME cabinet for the arcade stuff. Should have mentioned that at the outset.

Stardew Valley is pretty good if you like Harvest Moon type games.

I've heard Golf Story is really good, and it's some sorta of golf-RPG thing. It's supposed to be pretty funny and entertaining.

I've enjoyed Cave Story (always good!), Master Blaster Zero (remake of original), and Mighty Gunvolt Burst (Mega Man-esque clone) as well.

There's also something called Oceanhorn that's sort of a 3D isometric Zelda-style game. I played a demo and liked it, but haven't bought it because I've got so much on my plate.

Thanks! I'll have her check into those.

Well if LA Noire and Doom amused you, there's Skyrim now and in a matter of weeks or so is Wolfenstein II using the same engine (and design team for conversion that) as Doom uses. It means going into gamestop unfortunately but if you like pinball there's the Stern Pinball Collection which has some of their modern and a few of their older tables on it. It's a bit cute but quite fun and engaging but Lego City Undercover is a solid outing too.

Well if LA Noire and Doom amused you, there's Skyrim now and in a matter of weeks or so is Wolfenstein II using the same engine (and design team for conversion that) as Doom uses. It means going into gamestop unfortunately but if you like pinball there's the Stern Pinball Collection which has some of their modern and a few of their older tables on it. It's a bit cute but quite fun and engaging but Lego City Undercover is a solid outing too.

L.A. Noire and Doom we've already got elsewhere, so will probably skip those. Haven't given Skyrim a shot yet, so that's certainly a candidate along with the Stern Pinball stuff. Somehow missed those on the first run, but could definitely go for them.

I got myself a Switch for Christmas, the damn thing is half the size of my devkit, which also sounds like a small turbine.

I remember the PS3 devkits - they were something ridiculous like a 4U rackmount (and f***ing heavy), whereas the testkits were exactly the same as the retail units, just with a firmware swap. Doing the devkits as a rackmount always stuck me as being particularly idiotic, because no dev in their right mind would want to be stuck in a datacenter or IDF just to get their work done; all of them ended up taking up way too much real estate on their desks.

Not admitting to anything, but a dead PS3 devkit may or may not have once been opened up out of curiosity by a person or persons within an IT department before it was shipped back to Sony. Theoretically, that person or persons may have been really anal about tracking which screw came out of which hole and reassembling it with them all in the correct locations, and Sony may or may not have been really pissed when they received it back, much to the confusion that did or did not ensue on the IT department's behalf when Sony's ire was or was not made very clear to their executive management.

• Like 1

Haha, most people had the PS3 kits under the desk, as far as possible. :lol:

We actually tried that. The problem was that with a devkit under the desk on, say, a filing cabinet, there wasn't enough room at the desk for a dev, their backpack, the devkit, and a wastebasket (and the fan noise transmitted into the filing cabinet from the devkit was f***ing obnoxious). So we tried directly-mounting them to the underside of the desk. Then we discovered that the company that made the desks used the cheapest, shittiest, least-load-bearing MDF known to man in the assembly of the desks our devs were sitting at. You could thread screws into them... For a while, anyway.

I can neither confirm nor deny that this may (or may not) have led to a PS3 devkit ripping itself out of the underside of the desk under its own weight, leading (or not) to its demise and subsequent disassembly (which may not have happened) when it crashed (or not) to the floor, violently (or gently), and with (or without) tremendous clatter (or gentle, mellifluous sounds) ;)

Kinda hard to do with a handheld. It literally is twice as thick as the retail unit and has a loud fan in it, then again it has ethernet and several other ports.

For that, I'd suggest a light bench vise to hold the sucker. Just make sure the devs don't over-tighten it :D

Edited by x=usr(1536)

I mostly use my devkit on a bigscreen, but because of the CPU & GPU frequency switching (docking procedure), I need both. Especially because I am the one writing all the low level ARM code. :) It actually kicks in the fan a lot more, when it is "docked". My NEO is pretty loud too, they should all come with noise cancelling headphones.

I mostly use my devkit on a bigscreen, but because of the CPU & GPU frequency switching (docking procedure), I need both. Especially because I am the one writing all the low level ARM code. :) It actually kicks in the fan a lot more, when it is "docked". My NEO is pretty loud too, they should all come with noise cancelling headphones.

Ah, gotcha.

Have to admit that my experience with the handhelds is nil - we only worked on titles for the retail console. This would have been from very shortly after the PS3's retail launch to a couple of years into its lifecycle; I moved on after that.