IGNORED

Bad Apple

CyranoJ

This right here. This is AWESOME. I cant tell you how long I have waited to see this on Jaguar. WE NEEDED THIS! I am also certain that all of the many Jaguar owners who are into anime can really appreciate this kind of release as well! I know Nick Persijn wanted to see it happen. Truly amazing ground breaking stuff CJ. You are the best ;)

Good Job. Keep up the amaaaaaaazing work.

This right here. This is AWESOME. I cant tell you how long I have waited to see this on Jaguar. WE NEEDED THIS! I am also certain that all of the many Jaguar owners who are into anime can really appreciate this kind of release as well! I know Nick Persijn wanted to see it happen. Truly amazing ground breaking stuff CJ. You are the best ;)

Good Job. Keep up the amaaaaaaazing work.

This is a free download, what is your problem? You profit off selling shitty, broken games using CJ's code.

• Like 2

Well, the results of today are:

NRV2E on the raw (320x224) 4bbp images beats delta compression, delta compressed individually NRV2E packed frames, and NRV2E packed filestream.

I then tried 320x224 monochrome and monochrome dithered, and while they both fit into the 6Mb space, I couldn't look at them after the 4bpp v5.

All that's left is to try 2bpp. But I suspect it'll look worse than the 4bpp one.

On the plus side: I now have a nice delta frame compressor :)

Happy new year, everyone!

• Like 4

When I was doing the A8 version, interframe+interline delta was actually way less effective than interline only. If you think of it, you are storing the 'outline' of the picture .. if you use interframe delta, every outline is there twice. Instead of single outline in every frame, you see outline of previous frame too. Which brings the extra data into stream. It would be speed effective, if you used single buffer, and if you could only change the parts where the data changed. But memory wise, it's not.

My final solution was interline delta, encoded by columns (ie. the delta was simply between consecutive bytes). I used forced control byte on column change, for a cost of just a few % of data I could significantly simplify the depacking routine - I knew I will never run of buffer space. I also marked empty columns for every frame. Just how many columns from left and right and what color are they. IIRC it was like 10% data saving.

But note I was doing pure 1bpp with no dithering at all.

Edited by R0ger

Interframe delta. Yes, I see it would be storing 2 outlines. Hmmm. Even 10% isn't going to get the size smaller though. NRV2E is really good!

You can get this down to 640x480x30fps with much nicer sound in 4mb, but no matter how many sausages I shove in the cartridge port it still can't get fast enough to play MP4 streams.

I tried the V5 on my Slunkboard and I have a gap in the sound about 45 seconds after the start of the video, just before the girl throws the knife. The gap last for about 1 second

I loaded it on the Skunkboard just once.

You have the old Skunkboard BIOS and the wrong JCP. You need the updated ones to support 6mb ROMs.

• Like 1

as I said, I have the latest version of the BIOS, but I'm using SkunkGUI ... which was using JCP version 2.03.01, 2009
So I replaced with the last (?) Version
​now i have :
jcp v02.04.02 built on Jul 10 2016 Boot version 03.00.02, Serial 1234
and now there is no gap anymore !
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Color one looks nice but for me I prefer the black and white version. I like the 8bit version of this which is just notes and no lyrics - maybe Im a bit too old school :)

I know what you mean - the colour one was just for experimenting, the black and white one is much cleaner.

Color one looks nice but for me I prefer the black and white version. I like the 8bit version of this which is just notes and no lyrics - maybe Im a bit too old school :)

I like the original black and white one too. Hoping there will be carts of both final versions.

Would love to see either playing on my kiosk in an infinite loop.