IGNORED

Altirra 3.00 released

phaeron

SIlly question that I sort of know the reaction will be..

Why isn't NTSC artifacting on by default when an NTSC video mode is used?

There's nothing default about artifacting on an NTSC CRT. It all how depends on what type of connection you use.

• Like 4

Isn't this neatly catered for by Tools->First Time Setup? Without actually stepping through the wizard here, I'm assuming "Authentic Experience" turns on the artifacting.

I swaer it didn't do it before..ack, feel like a complete newbie now...

Thanks for clearing up my mistake Jon...

Off to hide...

• Like 1

I blame my stuff on virtual demntia...Or just stupidity...Worse still, I know Avery dislikes repeated requests and yet I still manage to somehow do it...Its not deliberate Avery..

Excuse the idiot, I have a village to go back to :)

Feature Tweak Request:

I noticed the serial noise drowns out the drive mechanics sounds. Maybe the serial noise should have a hi-lo selector or volume slider, or something like that. I don't recall the serial noise ever being that loud in real life. In fact I'm not sure I ever recall hearing it in the first place.

This emulator is so awesome for debugging. Been absent for quite some time ( I used 2.50 I think the last time) but I am back in now :)

I am really happy to read about the trace-breakpoints - they will be very useful to me!

One request, which I might have thrown your way years ago (and forgot your answer to it):

Being able to change the speed with a keystroke (toggle would be enough). So I can play the first part of my game until I come to the point where I need the slow-mo.

Of course it would be absolutely fantastic to trigger the speed with a breakpoint :P

• Like 1

Ok, this seems to be a bug in Altirra, both the current one and 2.99. Using Basic XE with the extensions with any OS ROM other than the Altirra OS causes a random lockup with the following code:

150 K=12
151 I=200
160 ? "STARTING LOOP"
170 Local K
171 While I>0
180 For K=1 To 20:Next K:I=I-1
181 ? I;" "
190 Endwhile
200 Stop

It will randomly lock, sometimes after 20 passes, sometimes more than 100. If you select the Altirra XL OS, it always works. Debugger shows it's at $C0C8. Fails with 65816, 6502, different OS, etc. Only the Altirra OS always works. I suspect it must be some issue with swapping out the OS rom, maybe with an interrupt occurring, who knows.

Edit: ok, maybe it's not Altirra. BXE 4.1 doesn't have the issue, just the 4.2 043M. Seems odd though why the Altirra OS works and nothing else does.

Edited by Alfred

Ok, it seems to be the While/Endwhile statement. What a mess. BXE 4.1 For/Next and everything fails when you use Extended mode, otherwise is fine. 4.2 works in extended, but randomly locks using features that reside under the OS rom, unless it's the Altirra OS. Whether the code is in a bank or not doesn't seem to matter with 4.2, but 4.1 you can use While as long as you aren't in Extended. I give up at this point I think.

Edited by Alfred

Is there a way to stop VBXE video taking on the NTSC "hue" (which it doesn't on real hardware) in the emulator without forcing use of the same palette for PAL/NTSC regardless of whether VBXE is enabled?

Currently, no, it always takes the base palette since I can't just drop it laoo.pal. I suppose I could hardcode it to a similar PAL palette. I hate the "everything is PAL" mentality though. :thumbsdown:

Why isn't NTSC artifacting on by default when an NTSC video mode is used?

There are a few reasons:

• Artifacting takes some performance to do, particularly high artifacting. It's less of an issue now that the emulator requires SSE2, but it is a factor on lower-end machines. It'll be a lot worse if sRGB correction becomes the default, as that actually takes more host CPU than the base emulation.
  • The artifacting setting only makes sense with specific video standards. NTSC artifacting with PAL or PAL artifacting with NTSC is unrealistic. The emulator doesn't support anything for SECAM. This means that if you switch the video standard, you end up with a nonsensical configuration. I don't want to put in a setting per standard, though.
  • Artifacting doesn't happen at all on a real machine if you have an S-Video connection. It's not inherent to the core computer itself, but the video connection. People aren't even necessarily aware of this, particularly if they have never used the actual computer (which is why they keep displaying NTSC graphics in PAL with the wrong frame rate and aspect ratio!!).
  • Artifacting does make the display a bit harder to read, which is why there is a sharp non-artifacted default for productivity.
  • PAL high artifacting needs a bit more work than NTSC high artifacting. I need to figure out a way to get rid of the checkerboard patterns that are coming from chroma aliasing.

Long story short, artifacting isn't perfect and isn't always wanted.

For a future versión of Altirra I would like to see an emulation of the Sophia board. Specifically, 16 greyscales selectable in antic modes, independently programmable text color in graphics 0, and no pixel shift in Graphics 10.

I'd like to see Sophia stabilize a bit more first, given how a lot of this stuff has been added ad-hoc in various revisions. I'm not aware of a single document describing the programming interface, just a bunch of scattered forum posts, which means I can't even tell which revisions have which features.

Ok, it seems to be the While/Endwhile statement. What a mess. BXE 4.1 For/Next and everything fails when you use Extended mode, otherwise is fine. 4.2 works in extended, but randomly locks using features that reside under the OS rom, unless it's the Altirra OS. Whether the code is in a bank or not doesn't seem to matter with 4.2, but 4.1 you can use While as long as you aren't in Extended. I give up at this point I think.

I'm not able to reproduce this. Check which Basic XE extensions disk you are using -- IIRC, the 4.1 extensions disk causes some problems with 4.2 and I wouldn't trust the 4.2 extensions disk if you have one. The 4.2 case is particularly suspicious as I can't get 4.2 to work at all with the 4.1 extensions disk -- besides getting stuck on the splash screen, which can be cleared with GR.0, the extended commands don't actually work and fail with Error 33.

The reason for AltirraOS making a difference is that Basic XE is running off the rails and into the OS code, so the behavior depends on what's in the low ROM. Chances are that AltirraOS just happens to have code that lets the CPU hobble back into the interpreter, so it happens to work. But clearly something is a bit borked in the configuration.

• Like 5

Being able to change the speed with a keystroke (toggle would be enough). So I can play the first part of my game until I come to the point where I need the slow-mo.

Well, you can't control the slowdown factor, but you can slow to half speed by binding the command System.ToggleSlowMotion to a key.

I'd also recommend the new tracer, if you just need to examine an execution trace. It'll easily capture enough of the trace to see what happened at a particular point in your program, without you having to nail the timing exactly.

• Like 2

Currently, no, it always takes the base palette since I can't just drop it laoo.pal. I suppose I could hardcode it to a similar PAL palette. I hate the "everything is PAL" mentality though.

The thing is, with RGB (which is what you are looking at with VBXE), most PAL/NTSC differences aside from the frame rate and scan line count (thus AR) are gone, and on every display I've used with VBXE, a 60fps RGB display shows up with the identical laoo colour palette to that seen at 50fps. Often the only visual indicator the machine is not PAL is the AR, and even then I have a 1084S which displays RGB from an NTSC VBXE machine in the PAL 1:1 AR. :)

There are sliders for "Drive Volume" and "Volume" in the audio options dialog with which you can do exactly that.

Yes of course. So many emulators, so many features..!

---

How well does Altirra handle upgrading it's .ini file (or registry) between versions, like when going from 2.90 to 3.0 to 3.1?

Does it re-write the whole file with only the necessary information and erase defunct entries? Or does it eventually make a mess of itself and continue to grow the file? Also, and I haven't experimented with it yet, does it store all profiles and configs in one .ini file?

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 1

I'm not able to reproduce this. Check which Basic XE extensions disk you are using -- IIRC, the 4.1 extensions disk causes some problems with 4.2 and I wouldn't trust the 4.2 extensions disk if you have one. The 4.2 case is particularly suspicious as I can't get 4.2 to work at all with the 4.1 extensions disk -- besides getting stuck on the splash screen, which can be cleared with GR.0, the extended commands don't actually work and fail with Error 33.

Alright, after some sleep, BXE 4.1 with the 4.0 extensions, yes, the While/Endwhile does in fact seem to work. 4.2 also randomly locks under A800Win, so it must be a code issue, not an Altirra one.

Not sure what I did to have it fail.

How well does Altirra handle upgrading it's .ini file (or registry) between versions, like when going from 2.90 to 3.0 to 3.1?

Does it re-write the whole file with only the necessary information and erase defunct entries? Or does it eventually make a mess of itself and continue to grow the file? Also, and I haven't experimented with it yet, does it store all profiles and configs in one .ini file?

Basically, each version tries to read settings from older versions and tries not to write settings that would crash older versions. When reasonable, newer versions will migrate older settings, but if things have changed they may not read correctly in older versions. For instance, if you add VBXE in 3.00 and try to run 2.90, it won't be there because in 3.00 VBXE was moved from a specific setting to a device. I don't try to write compatible settings on settings changes as that way lies madness. This unfortunately means that running newer versions can "break" profiles in older versions by removing the items that were changed.

A bit of debris can accumulate when newer versions save settings differently than older versions -- the old and new settings will exist side by side. All profiles do end up in the one INI file, if you are in portable mode.

• Like 2

Hi Avery or anyone that can solve the issue..

One of the Gamebase community called .mad has asked me about this tape included, I keep getting an error 143 (checksum error) but the instructions semi work in Atari800Win but Altirra see's it as a self booting tape that needs basic, the end result is the same, an error 143..

Here's the instructions for load and tape from Atarimania

Loading instructions:
- insert tape file in your emulator / APE
- if you are using an emulator, turn off virtual disk drive and make sure you are in BASIC mode (Atari users: everything must be off)
- press SHIFT+F5 for a cold start if you are using Atari800Win PLus (Atari users: turn on computer while pressing START)
- press RETURN at the buzz
- type CLOAD and press RETURN when READY appears after the title screen
- type RUN and press RETURN at the second prompt to start the game.

Bad tape?

Tried it loads of ways...Same end..

Cubomagique.zip

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 1

I get a feeling that there's only screen shots of the initial load screen because no one ever saw the main real screen due to the tape being duff.

Atari Frog, have you been supplying broken stuff!!!

:)

Edited by Mclaneinc