IGNORED

Altirra 3.00 released

phaeron

Paul, use this:

c1 - c6 cartridges = Williams 64 mapping.
c2 & d8 cartridges = turbosoft 64 mapping.
x2 & prisma cartridges = Williams 64 mapping.
other cartridges, use turbosoft 128 mapping.

in the *.car image, the mapper is not properly defined.

Edited by serj

Hi Avery,

I'm in the process of updating The!Cart Studio and the related cartridge database based on Kr0tki's works.

In the course of that I learned that 4 new type IDs (67-70) have been assigned.

https://sourceforge.net/p/atari800/source/ci/master/tree/DOC/cart.txt

Would be of great help for my test if Altirra supported them.

The mapping logic looks rather standard.

Thanks, Peter.

• Like 2

Hi Peter, have you got any examples of 67 and 68, I have the two Arabic items that are so far unsupported, just interested in what the titles are?

Paul..

I don't have any sample ROMs. Only the reference in the last few lines of the list in

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/161828-hooked-on-8-bit-carts/?p=4013783

and the official scheme spec linked above. There you can followthe links to the downloads.

As part of The!Cart Studio I have a sample generator that creates diagnostic.BIN/.CAR files for each supported type.

And to make sure my sample generator is correct, I usually test it against the complemenatry implementation in the emulators.

67 seems an odd late addition. Same as 13 except using higher number bank number to select? Surely this would have been picked up a long time ago if anything was using it? Also, more of an emulation issue rather than cart type? (Sure I must be missing something here?)

*edit*

Ah, ok, so the description of it and 13 being compatible is not really true. The 8k banks would have to be stored in a different order?

@JAC!: Links to SourceForge are obsolete, Atari800 has now migrated to GitHub. This is the correct link.

Regarding Type 67: Some 64KB XEGS cartridges address their banks differently, specifically they use $F8-$FF as bank numbers instead of the more straightforward $00-$07. IIRC Lode Runner is one of them.

Analysis of PCB photos @Jindroush's site proved that there are two XEGS SuperCart PCB variants that work differently - one of them unmaps all banks when bit 3 of the bank number is set. Lode Runner and a few other titles were programmed to be compatible with this PCB.

It was undetected for years because the other PCB variant is backwards compatible - is ignores bit 3, so all ROMs created for the former PCB work correctly on the other as well. It is not true the other way - ROMs that address banks with $0-$7 work only on the latter PCB variant.

So, this is actually new cartidge type, existing since the 80s.

Examples of Type 68 are uploaded at AtariOnline, specifically the ones without the [h decoded] tag (the others are Type 17).

All three known examples of Type 69 are posted here. Since the Arabic PCBs also support 64KB PROMs, I went future-proof and added support for the larger variant as well (Type 70). No actual ROM examples of this type exist. A kind-of-example can be created manually, by stitching two copies of a 32KB Type 69 ROM together.

• Like 2

Tiny bug:

I have to select <ALT> F K 2 times otherwise I can't call up the disk dialog. Same thing if I try clicking on File> Disk Drives or doing <ALT> D.

Gotta do it all 2 times at first. Subsequent openings respond the first time. This on WinXP.

Edited by Keatah

Just fired up my XP test machine, not seeing it there either.

Regarding the new carts: hope you guys realize that there are issues with implementing functionality based on another project's in progress source code repository. I think Atari800 4.0.0 is out now, though, so the updated cart.txt file has now been released.

Tiny bug:

I have to select <ALT> F K 2 times otherwise I can't call up the disk dialog. Same thing if I try clicking on File> Disk Drives or doing <ALT> D.

Gotta do it all 2 times at first. Subsequent openings respond the first time. This on WinXP.

I can't reproduce this. I'm running XP32 SP3 with current updates.

Hi Avery or any other person willing to look...

Trying this Hobbytronic disk like a few others, its weird, it does not seem to be anything to do with emulation as others are trying it on real hardware but maybe someone can explain the odd behaviour..

When it boots disk a it gets to the loader menu and you press START, sometimes it loads in the Megaballs part and plays normally but sometimes after a reset or coldboot it screws up doing the same thing, you get flashes on the screen instead of the balls and it won't advance to any of the other 2 parts..

Tried mem config, diff OS variations, r/w and I also noticed there's a scratch noise at the boot of the disk, the sort of noise when its looking for a Happy or other device?

Any idea's why its so odd in booting..

http://atariage.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=572528

Edited by Mclaneinc

Tiny bug: I have to select <ALT> F K 2 times otherwise I can't call up the disk dialog. Same thing if I try clicking on File> Disk Drives or doing <ALT> D. Gotta do it all 2 times at first. Subsequent openings respond the first time. This on WinXP.

My bad. I had used an .ini file, in portable mode, from a couple of pre-releases ago.. I verified I broke it and fixed it, back and forth. Sorry about the false alert.

Note to the boss: Is it possible to have Altirra write its version number in the .ini file? And maybe throw up an alert if the versions don't match for any reason.

Blaming the tools eh ;)

We all screw up, as they say "to err is human to forgive is divine" without getting all religious etc...

As for the ini, they are supposed to be self compatible via Altirra I believe, I must admit have have deleted / reset the settings a few times, sometimes it just seems to fix little issues BUT I probably introduced these issues when playing about with profiles and altered them by accident..(wish they were locked and highlighted a change before it was final).but the niggles are part of the ongoing Profiles work..(I hope :) )

The same idea applies to all the commands in the debugger, .help <command> will give a more detailed breakdown of its use and switches..

.help on its own lists all the commands..

Edit:

Just thought I'd add 2 more links to help folk...

1, for the acid test suite

Acid800 is a test suite designed to stress 8-bit Atari emulators. It tests a wide variety of program-visible hardware behaviors and reports any deviations from actual hardware behavior, such as missing features or incorrect timing. Acid800 can be run either as a full suite or as standalone tests, with symbols and source included. Also included are the Acid5200 test suite for the 5200 SuperSystem and the AcidSAP suite for SAP players.

http://www.virtualdub.org/downloads/Acid800-1.1.7z

And the stunningly good ALtirra programmers reference guide by Avery, very handy for programmers and hardware enthusiasts

http://www.virtualdub.org/downloads/Altirra%20Hardware%20Reference%20Manual.pdf..

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 1

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-3.10-test25.zip

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-3.10-test25-src.zip

• Selecting color presets now resets the color matching mode.
  • Fix XEGS/SXEGS sub-emulation in The!Cart emulation -- fixed and variable banks were swapped.
  • Add some new verifier modes: loads from absolute address 0, disk I/O reads over active display list, OS calling convention violations (calling SIOV with I=1).
  • Support for cartridge types: Blizzard 32K (60), XEGS 64K alternate (67), Atrax 128K in raw ordering (68), aDawliah 32K (69), aDawliah 64K (70).
  • There is now a checkbox on the mapper dialog to override the detection if you really need to force a mapper that is not showing up (such as if the init vectors are garbage).
  • Compiler updated from VS2017 15.4.2 to 15.7.1. (What could possibly go wrong?)
  • Like 7

I took the meaning from what was said that some things that use 13 will work with 67 and everything that uses 67 works with 13 anyway. They're not even dumped in a different order. (You always wanted to be able to emulate the incorrect bank switching that happens when those roms are put into a 67, right? ;) ) As Kr0tki said it's an emulation accuracy thing. Hope I'm wrong that's the only thing it will allow, and have misunderstood something.

Hopefully Sheddy, I'm just going the route of accuracy in rom dumps listing..

The items that use those newer mappers will probably be something I never touch but its still worth noting..

Not sure of why a separate rom mapper would be listed for a dump that already works under another mapper but I'm not techy as such so there must be a reason, maybe the newer ones can use different banks hence the mapper?

As said, I'm to tech what 99% of politicians are to honesty...(hopefully I'm better than those cretins)

• Like 1