IGNORED

IDE, SCSI Controller Count

Swim

IDE, SCSI Controller Owner Count  

12 members have voted

1. 1. How many users own a working IDE and/or SCSI controller?

• IDE Controller
    • WHT SCSI Version "E" Controller
    • WHT SCSI Version "F" Controller
    • WHT SCSI Version "G" Controller
    • SNUG ASCSI Controller

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

This poll is created to get an accounting of users with these Controllers for the purpose of setting priority for upgrades/Firmware/Software.

Just wanted to say I saw the poll, but since there's no none/neither I wanted to register my response. It would be nice to have either.

• Like 1

Polls need to be multiple choice in general... unless you can prefix the question with: "If you can only choose one..."

It is sad that the default when building a poll is the opposite of our typical questions.

I would infer from this forum's history that a good chunk of the people that have any of those items also have more than one. That seems to be how the hardware ownership polls always go.

-M@

• Like 1

Polls need to be multiple choice in general... unless you can prefix the question with: "If you can only choose one..."

It is sad that the default when building a poll is the opposite of our typical questions.

I would infer from this forum's history that a good chunk of the people that have any of those items also have more than one. That seems to be how the hardware ownership polls always go.

-M@

Yeah, I had no idea how limited the poll would be for multiples. I'll have to monitor the individual posts to get a better total or delete this thread and post a new one without the poll to confuse people I guess.

I own all but a SNUG ASCSI. I keep different revisions of these and other cards for software and hardware testing, a practice continued from my days developing software and maintaining MDOS. Oh, and Heatwave has been running on a WHT rev F card nonstop since late 2016. ;)

I've always considered the "F" with 1.6 upgrade to be the most dependable of the WHT series of SCSI controllers. The "G" with it's 84 pin Lattice chip was the thoroughbred of the series but the most vulnerable to static discharge/spikes/rocking in the P-Box damage that would wipe out the Lattice 84 pin.

Not sure what version my WHT is either. It's Harold Mayo's old card.

Also didn't see an option for MFM... HFDC!

If it's Harold Mayo's SCSI with a little daughter board on it it's a WHT "F" that I upgraded to version 1.6 a little over a decade ago.

Hey Rich.

I registered a vote for the IDE but I also have a scuzzy F and G (could only vote for one.) I would most like to see a fixed scuzzy DSR for the wht cards but will go with the flow.

Good to see you back.

Marcus

I also have 2 x WHT SCSI "F", 1 "G". I voted "G" as both "F" units have issues. I also use to have 2 x IDE cards. Sent both out for repair for the cost of one and parts for two blank cards, once the first card was fixed and returned. It has not shown up, yet.

Yea that IDE card is a bitch. Bad choice to use SM components in a cottage, hobby. A bitch to work on much less fix. Most just need to be punted. Really bad decision (in my opinion) on TN's part to go that route. I would hate to be the guy that volunteered to wade into that mess (IDE card repairs) and get ripped for doing it. Sounds like a no win to me, Bill.

Edited by marc.hull

I'm slowly working on resolving the surface-mount issue with IDE cards by doing a through-hole layout for it, but it is a very slow slog between the other projects I've been working on (and random health/family/work issues haven't helped much this year when it came to my available hobby time either).

At least I now have about 95% of it documented on a single schematic, a task I expect to finish in the next week or so.

Edited by Ksarul
  • Like 3

Yea that IDE card is a bitch. Bad choice to use SM components in a cottage, hobby. A bitch to work on much less fix. Most just need to be punted. Really bad decision (in my opinion) on TN's part to go that route. I would hate to be the guy that volunteered to wade into that mess (IDE card repairs) and get ripped for doing it. Sounds like a no win to me, Bill.

I assembled both cards myself. They worked well for many months then one by one they started getting flaky; but just about the same time, I also experienced an event that caused my blood pressure to"go through the roof" (maybe due to my two IDE cards going "belly up?). Any way it took me a couple of years to come back to my hobby, and not long afterwards to discover that I could no longer "touch type", and that my finger control was so bad that I was destroying PEB cards that needed repair. That's why I sent the IDE cards to someone else for repair. They were the only SMT units I ever assembled, and I knew they were the last I would ever do. I can still do software development even though I have to "hunt and Peck". i have purchased and installed two F18A VDP and two USB keyboard adapters in two of my TI consoles. I don't know how I will get the SCSI cards fixed or numerous RS232 cards and many FDC cards. As all 3 of my RGB monitors disappeared from the garage, it will be a long time before I get back to my two Geneves and one TI-99/4P. Therefore I'm concentrating all my efforts on the two TI consoles using either the CF7A, NanoPEB V1 or NanoPEB F18 V1, but not the NanoPEB V2, as the serial port doesn't work. I could rant some more, but I've got to get back dealing with my LAN issues.

Bill

This is particularly a pity when I think of that SCSI2SD device that I bought, which neatly connects to a SCSI controller and replaces the big hard drive with a small SD card.

I guess I was similarly surprised to learn that most people still have single density controllers when I polled it some years ago.

I apologize if this was already answered, I'm just breezing through this thread cuz time is tight, but very interested in the topic.

I suspect the low count is due to non-availability and price. Last time I looked into it (years ago now) it was always $200+ to even think about mass storage devices. Has that changed?

I settled on HDX mod, because it just kicks butt, and I have virtually UNLIMITED space. And the speed of being able to download something from the internet and get it to the TI, to test or play with, made the HDX a no brainer. Dump the file in the HDX folder, go to TI, launch said program, done! No floppies to mess with, etc etc...

Anyhow, I'd still like to get either and IDE or SCSI card for the PEB. IDE being preferred, don't trust the SCSI that much (seems too flakey and old, to lose anymore hair from).

Bottom line, count me in if there's a batch of IDE cards in the progress...