IGNORED

C64 is posessed....

VicViper

So, I'm using an SD drive and an epyx fastload reloaded on my C64. I had just tried out a new file (Lunar Lander homebrew) and used the soft reset on the fast load cart, and when it booted back up the C64 just started.... typing on its own. the cursor keeps moving to the right, and random characters are inputed, mostly the > symbol. Any idea what the hell happened, and how to fix it?

Yes that's right. Unplug the keyboard from the motherboard to isolate the problem.

You could also try swapping the two 6526 CIA chips around to see if the problem moves.

See here for symptoms.

https://www.c64-wiki.com/wiki/CIA

It's fairly easy to blow the CIA by touching pins on the joystick port. Always plug in and remove joysticks with the machine off.

Yes that's right. Unplug the keyboard from the motherboard to isolate the problem.

You could also try swapping the two 6526 CIA chips around to see if the problem moves.

See here for symptoms.

https://www.c64-wiki.com/wiki/CIA

It's fairly easy to blow the CIA by touching pins on the joystick port. Always plug in and remove joysticks with the machine off.

Yup, thats probably what happened.

If you can't find a 6526 for a good price, you might be able to find a 8520 from an Amiga. Traditionally those chips are said to not being compatible but as posted in a video recently, nearly all programs will work the same. I don't know if there is a GAL or FPGA replacement of the 6526, but generally replacements are just as expensive, just that they might not fail as easily.

I believe others on this forum might help you with a 6526 if required.

Just an update, I grabbed a replacement from BasicWayne of off ebay, replaced it in U1 and everything is working again. Grabbed myself a C64 saver while i was waiting for this chip to get here so i donn't face any more heartbreak anytime soon. Thanks everyone for the input.

• Like 1