IGNORED

Joystick 'fix'?

WesSco

I'm new here so please be gentle ;) I did a search for my topic but nothing really showed up.

Does anyone have a solution to the small 'white-ish' plastic ring breaking on the plastic 'stick' core of the CX40 - and other 3rd party joysticks (like Cirka).

Right now what I've done has been to superglue the broken area with a generous amount, and then immerse it in baking soda which then hardens it up nicely.

I did see a plan online to 3D print a solid insert (HERE) - but I can't get anyone close to me to produce it (probably not worthwhile).

Thank you for your help - and again - I'm sorry if this has already been addressed.

The only one I ever had break was a faulty replacement part. I just used another one I stole from another joystick. The plastic parts are so small I don't see how glue would ever hold.

There are different styles by the way. The one that broke on mine looked like the broken one in the picture. The original style was much sturdier.

Welcome! :waving:

My advice would be to just get a new one--those things really aren't worth trying to fix, IMO. There are upgrade kits and replacement parts readily available from the likes of Best Electronics and other places. :)

Any ideas of the 'other places'? I agree that the original plastic seems to be the more durable. I've got a couple Best CX40s, but just looking to replace these parts in others that always seem to either break, or be about to break when I clean them.

The way I see it the thin ring was a bad design, and the solid version (green in the link) would've been more durable.

My guess is the idea behind the plastic being thin, was to keep from damaging the PCB and domes by flexing. As far as replacement inner handles, you can find them on Amazon and eBay. That's where I get mine. The replacements are made the same as the old ones, so if you get rough with them, they will break too. The 3d printed ones are considered by many to be very sturdy. You'll ruin the PCB and domes before you break one of those. There are a lot of people with 3d printers now. It may take some searching, but I'm sure there's someone who will print them for you. There's also Shapeways. I don't know how much it would cost for them to make some for you, but it might be worth looking into if you haven't already. I repaired a black inner handle from a Cirka A77 joystick with some thin plastic and a lot of "titanium" epoxy. People said it wouldn't hold, but I've put some serious pressure on this thing and it has no signs of coming apart. The white ones are a different story. They are made of an odd plastic that doesn't seem to like glue or epoxy.

its hard because those things are meant to flex a bit and most fixes are of a hard material

fixing plastics is tricky i have done some work fusing with soldering iron there is also a hot staple method where you heat a staple under a torch and mush it into the plastic there is a couple ways you can heat the main part and mush it in flat or heat the prongs and get them through you can also sort of weld zip ties to the plastic to reenforce it

you can also drill with tiny bit and wire it together then epoxy over it

My guess is the idea behind the plastic being thin, was to keep from damaging the PCB and domes by flexing. As far as replacement inner handles, you can find them on Amazon and eBay. That's where I get mine. The replacements are made the same as the old ones, so if you get rough with them, they will break too. The 3d printed ones are considered by many to be very sturdy. You'll ruin the PCB and domes before you break one of those. There are a lot of people with 3d printers now. It may take some searching, but I'm sure there's someone who will print them for you. There's also Shapeways. I don't know how much it would cost for them to make some for you, but it might be worth looking into if you haven't already. I repaired a black inner handle from a Cirka A77 joystick with some thin plastic and a lot of "titanium" epoxy. People said it wouldn't hold, but I've put some serious pressure on this thing and it has no signs of coming apart. The white ones are a different story. They are made of an odd plastic that doesn't seem to like glue or epoxy.

Thanks - did finally get a quote for 6 to be 3D printed... quote came to over $200 when tax is added in. For that price I could just order a couple Best Electronics Joysticks.

• 2 weeks later...