IGNORED

The best Atari 8-bit original game of 2017

Yautja

Hi all,

We've just opened this poll in Atariteca: Vote for what you consider the best original game developed in 2017 for Atari 8-bit computers.

IMPORTANT: The listing DOES NOT include ports of games from other platforms nor hacks / improvements of games already published in previous years.

Please, feel free to vote for your favorite(s) as many times you want ► https://goo.gl/AAzZiJ

Regards,

- Y -

• Like 1

Hi Yautja,

After quick look on the current list:

1. These are not original games:
- CX2626 Miniature Golf, Raiders of the Lost Ark are ports from Atari 2600.
- Kaverns Of Kfest was originally created for Apple II (and shown at KansasFest 2016, Apple-related party).
- Scapeghost is definitely a port, probably from ZX Spectrum (?).

2. There are some games not included, for example "Great Green Adventure" presented 2 days ago on Atari Last Party.

3. And... I think it's better to wait until the end of December to be sure that you got everything :)

• Like 1

Hi Yautja,

After quick look on the current list:

1. These are not original games:

- CX2626 Miniature Golf, Raiders of the Lost Ark are ports from Atari 2600.

- Kaverns Of Kfest was originally created for Apple II (and shown at KansasFest 2016, Apple-related party).

- Scapeghost is definitely a port, probably from ZX Spectrum (?).

2. There are some games not included, for example "Great Green Adventure" presented 2 days ago on Atari Last Party.

3. And... I think it's better to wait until the end of December to be sure that you got everything :)

Hello Adam,

Thanks for the feedback! I've just updated the list. BYW, once again Tenliners games were not included.

Anyway, I will also create another survey for ports and hacks.

Regards,

- Y -

OK, so no tenliners. Other examples of games that potentially could be included:

- Peter J. Meyer's commercial titles (like HeliCommander)
- Solitario (in Mad Pascal thread)
- Headache (by Pirx)
- Wojna (TDC's game from last game jam)
- some games from the past created by MatoSimi and his brother and published in 2017 (for example Soko Maniac)
- Dozer Attack from NYD2017

And it's probably not all :) Wasn't "Don Quijote de la Mancha 2" an original sequel, published in 2017?

Edited by +Adam+

Also "Rain of Terror" final version didn't get a chance.

Thanks for calling that out Adam!

the final version of Rain of Terror (with joystick support as well as paddle support) can be downloaded here...

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/258275-rain-of-terror-atr/?p=3908140

Final version was introduced in May of 2017 as part of the collector's box edition.

In December 2017 we made it available for all to download.

I know the title screen on the game still says "Copyright 2016". That's just because it took me that long to get the physical packaging all designed and the production sorted out! Sorry if that is confusing. But as Adam points out, the final version of Rain of Terror (with joystick support added) was indeed a 2017 release.

Thanks!

-Eric

• Like 1

Also "Rain of Terror" final version didn't get a chance.

OK, so no tenliners. Other examples of games that potentially could be included:

- Headache (by Pirx)

- some games from the past created by MatoSimi and his brother and published in 2017 (for example Soko Maniac)

And it's probably not all :) Wasn't "Don Quijote de la Mancha 2" an original sequel, published in 2017?

Thank you once again! Now the list features 36 games. A few points to take in account:

- I could not find evidence about the final release of HeliCommander. However, I found other games by Peter Meyer.
- Besides Soko Maniac, could you please point other games "unearthed" by MatoSimi this year?
- I included the final ver of Rain of Terror. But that also means I will have to consider the final version of Bosconian for the other survey.
- Y -

Thanks for calling that out Adam!

the final version of Rain of Terror (with joystick support as well as paddle support) can be downloaded here...

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/258275-rain-of-terror-atr/?p=3908140

Final version was introduced in May of 2017 as part of the collector's box edition.

In December 2017 we made it available for all to download.

I know the title screen on the game still says "Copyright 2016". That's just because it took me that long to get the physical packaging all designed and the production sorted out! Sorry if that is confusing. But as Adam points out, the final version of Rain of Terror (with joystick support added) was indeed a 2017 release.

Thanks!

-Eric

Don't worry, Eric. Now the list include RoT.

Regards,

- Y -

• Like 1

Oh, I'm sorry, it seems I was wrong: I saw the AtariAge thread from January about "coming soon" and I falsely assumed that it is released by now :)

In fact, I included Surround'em and Tile Smashers which were presented by P. Meyer himself in AA; but cannot be found in AtariSales.com

In the case of HeliCommander, he speaks about its soon release.

Edited by Yautja

I see many conversions (Minesweeper, Pac-Mad, superfly XL, Tempest Elite...)

I wouldn't call Pac-Mad a conversion, it's rather a variation of classic motif.

Superfly XL - yeah, I could call it a conversion.

Tempest Elite is an extension of Meyer's earlier Tempest conversion! :)

Such questions as "conversion or not?" would occur every year for a poll like that and sometimes finding the right answer could be very hard. This is one of the reasons why we have just one category in Kaz Kompo game competition. Sometimes a "conversion" could be more original than an "original" game, sometimes an "original" game is almost exactly the same as an older Atari game, but with a new title, etc. It's in the hands of the voters to make the right judgement.

• Like 2

You guys really shouldn't exclude "conversions" from any contest. Because EVERY ATARI version is worth to be mentioned.

If a game is newly done , or a long wanted conversion , both is incredible.

Yautja plans to run two separate votings (in two categories), he doesn't want to exclude "conversions" totally - but to put them in another category (with mods, extensions, new levels etc.).

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

- Headache (by Pirx)

I am working on some YouTube videos for HeliCommander. The game is done and working on some changes to the manual and label art. I do recall making some Work-in-Progress videos last year before the game was completed and cleaned up. I took the 3D parallax scrolling DLIs from Laser Blast X, added more layers, made the ground a little bigger, and made them on Earth colors.