IGNORED

Thinking about getting an Encore.

MrBeefy

The carts are exactly the same, other than the card slot. As far as SD vs Micro SD, there's no real difference other than size. Both do the same thing and cost around the same price now. I chose the Micro SD version, because I had quite a few of the micro cards already. I also have the little USB reader/writers that the Micro card slides into, so it can double as a thumb drive. That makes it much easier to add roms to the card, instead of having to use one of the older bulky card readers. Some laptops have an SD card slot though, so it really comes down to personal preference. One thing some people might not think about, is taking the card out and putting it back in. The bigger SD card would be easier to deal with because it's not tiny and hard to maneuver into the slot. The entire library of 2600 games can fit on a 32Mb card, with room to spare. Yeah, 32 "Mb" not Gb. I have over 750 games on my card. That's around 7Mb. Most of your modern cards are going to be 1Gb or larger, so space will never be an issue and you can find the cards for just a couple of dollars. There's even a chance that someone on the forums may have one they would just give to you. A Micro SD card could be sent in a plain envelope for just the cost of a stamp. Heck, if you need one, PM me and I'll see if I have an extra I could send you.

I know I probably over explained that. I've got in a habit of doing that lately, but I guess it's better than not giving enough info. :grin:

The carts are exactly the same, other than the card slot. As far as SD vs Micro SD, there's no real difference other than size. Both do the same thing and cost around the same price now. I chose the Micro SD version, because I had quite a few of the micro cards already. I also have the little USB reader/writers that the Micro card slides into, so it can double as a thumb drive. That makes it much easier to add roms to the card, instead of having to use one of the older bulky card readers. Some laptops have an SD card slot though, so it really comes down to personal preference. One thing some people might not think about, is taking the card out and putting it back in. The bigger SD card would be easier to deal with because it's not tiny and hard to maneuver into the slot. The entire library of 2600 games can fit on a 32Mb card, with room to spare. Yeah, 32 "Mb" not Gb. I have over 750 games on my card. That's around 7Mb. Most of your modern cards are going to be 1Gb or larger, so space will never be an issue and you can find the cards for just a couple of dollars. There's even a chance that someone on the forums may have one they would just give to you. A Micro SD card could be sent in a plain envelope for just the cost of a stamp. Heck, if you need one, PM me and I'll see if I have an extra I could send you.

I know I probably over explained that. I've got in a habit of doing that lately, but I guess it's better than not giving enough info. :grin:

Yeah i know sizes aren't an issue with tiny sized games. I was just curious about performance issues if there were any. Id rather have someone over explain than not at all :P

Yeah i know sizes aren't an issue with tiny sized games. I was just curious about performance issues if there were any. Id rather have someone over explain than not at all :P

Performance wise, it's gonna be a tie. There are different classes of cards with different read/write speeds, but even the slowest card will have no problem keeping up with the demands of the 2600. I had a 1080p video camera that recommended at least a class 6 micro SD card, but I never noticed any difference in the picture quality or the number of frames per second with a class 4 card. So I'm sure a class 4 or better would be fine for the Harmony Encore......

I just checked, I have a class 6 in my Encore right now, so I can verify that a class 6 work perfectly. :)

If I recall correctly, the Harmony pulls the bin files from the card and loads them into the RAM on the cart. I know that's how my EZ Flash 4 cart works on my GBA. If that's the case on the Encore, then card speed doesn't even factor in. (If I'm wrong about that someone feel free to correct me please.) :ponder:

• Like 1

Performance wise, it's gonna be a tie. There are different classes of cards with different read/write speeds, but even the slowest card will have no problem keeping up with the demands of the 2600. I had a 1080p video camera that recommended at least a class 6 micro SD card, but I never noticed any difference in the picture quality or the number of frames per second with a class 4 card. So I'm sure a class 4 or better would be fine for the Harmony Encore......

I just checked, I have a class 6 in my Encore right now, so I can verify that a class 6 work perfectly. :)

If I recall correctly, the Harmony pulls the bin files from the card and loads them into the RAM on the cart. I know that's how my EZ Flash 4 cart works on my GBA. If that's the case on the Encore, then card speed doesn't even factor in. (If I'm wrong about that someone feel free to correct me please.) :ponder:

Cool sounds like i need the micro version since i have more of those lying around.