IGNORED

What good is the "Apple 1" ?

Keatah

7 hours ago, Geister said:

Oh, I'm sorry.  Did I not @ or # you?

You know full well that when responding to someone, quoting or mentioning them sends that someone a notification.  So, yeah, that is important if you are going to have a conversation with someone.  In 20-and-current-year you should know better, and there is no need to be snide about it.

7 hours ago, Geister said:

Everything I've heard or observed about Steve Jobs paints him as a sleazy character, including the thing you mentioned about him screwing the Woz.

For certain, I will give no argument on that.  I am fully aware of how Apple approached my high school with a great deal on a free Apple 2 computer lab, provided they only used Macs in the administrative offices and did not have any other computer lab.  The other side of that is the management software Apple provided did seem pretty good.

Given the accounts of a number of people, I understand he had a drug habit in his early years.  It is interesting to know he suffered from at least one bought of hepatitis several decades before he ultimately succumbed to pancreatic cancer.

Chuck Peddle, father of the 6502, who we sadly lost just a few years ago, once said of Jobs and Gates: "There is nothing nice about Steve Jobs, and nothing evil about Bill Gates."

• Haha 1

I guess it's the boomer in me.  I didn't get a computer until I was in my late 20's and I just reply when I reply @'n and #'n is for Tik-Tokers and other people I think are crazy.  I guess once you turn 70, you just get cranky and stuck in your ways.

When it comes to Apple, I'm team Woz all the way.  Danged new fangled Macintoshs!

On 12/29/2023 at 8:40 PM, OLD CS1 said:

You know full well that when responding to someone, quoting or mentioning them sends that someone a notification.  So, yeah, that is important if you are going to have a conversation with someone.  In 20-and-current-year you should know better, and there is no need to be snide about it.

For certain, I will give no argument on that.  I am fully aware of how Apple approached my high school with a great deal on a free Apple 2 computer lab, provided they only used Macs in the administrative offices and did not have any other computer lab.  The other side of that is the management software Apple provided did seem pretty good.

Given the accounts of a number of people, I understand he had a drug habit in his early years.  It is interesting to know he suffered from at least one bought of hepatitis several decades before he ultimately succumbed to pancreatic cancer.

Chuck Peddle, father of the 6502, who we sadly lost just a few years ago, once said of Jobs and Gates: "There is nothing nice about Steve Jobs, and nothing evil about Bill Gates."

Sleazy is an apt description of Steve Jobs, especially when you read about a certain woman who was a part of his early life, right during the catalyst years of Apple Computer Inc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrisann_Brennan

• 2 weeks later...

Getting back to what an Apple 1 might be good for:

(Not that any of the chatter here is a big deal)

People would do computing back then.  And by that I mean structured computation.  

I myself did a lot of that on one of those Tandy pocket computers.  It had a couple Kb of RAM and a single line, 20 character display.  That little machine could hold a lot of routines that could take input and then save a guy a lot of time with answers.

An Apple I would be good for that kind of thing, even with Integer BASIC.  

Costs, materials, sizes of things.

Some of the earliest programs I ran and wrote were about antennas, for example.   What size given an intended frequency, and where to point them, given a time of year.

Doing that stuff on the Apple 1 would mean living with a small amount of RAM and 16bit integer numbers.  Painful.  But, possible.  Whether it made sense would depend on what the computations were worth.

Aside from that, most of the value had to be just experiencing what computing would look like.

3 hours ago, potatohead said:

An Apple I would be good for that kind of thing, even with Integer BASIC.

My shop teacher in junior high had written some programs on his ][ in Integer BASIC to run his class grades, schedules, and even some bill-of-materials programs.  Did the job.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Boschloo said:

You used words, sir. Words have meaning.

Words have multiple meanings in many languages.  Your mind chose the context.  

I can speak your words or my words, but I can only think my thoughts.

1 hour ago, Geister said:

Words have multiple meanings in many languages.  Your mind chose the context.  

I can speak your words or my words, but I can only think my thoughts.

There was a comedian once (not Gallagher) talking about language, and he pointed out the various terms for doin' the dirty: "Screw, nail, hammer... it's not love, it's carpentry!"

• Haha 1