IGNORED

Games Beaten In 2018!

Charlie Cat

Happy New Year Anthony! It was nice to hear from you on the YouTube page. Cant wait to see what you have for us on the Neo Geo forum this year. I started off my year by beating punisher on NES! Great game and this was the first time I beat it.

Hey Red,

Glad to see you can. Thank you for the best wishes on the Neo-Geo thread and glad you started the year off defeating the Punisher for the NES.

That's a fun game and you can never go wrong with Frank Castle. Love the comic books of him as well. I also need to play the arcade game of The Punisher again. Its been a few years since I use to play it with Nick Fury. :)

Anthony..

• Like 1

1. Wacky Races (NES)

2. Overlord (NES)

3. Felix the Cat (NES)

4. Star Voyager (NES)

I've beaten Overlord and Star Voyager for three years running now, so no need for new comments on those.

As for Wacky Races and Felix the Cat, they're peas in a pod, i.e. reasonably competent platformers with dated licenses and a low difficulty level. Wacky Races has an odd Gradius-esque power-up system, while Felix undergoes a hierarchy of transformations. Wacky Races has slightly trickier boss fights, but is also far shorter.

Both are C+ games, pleasant enough to play through once -- though actually I'd first beaten them ages ago using savestates (why would I savestate such easy games?!), so it's nice to legitimize those wins to start 2018.

Great to see this thread coming back for another year! Right now I'm playing The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D and Pokémon Ultra Sun on the 3DS, but they're both pretty long games so it might be a while until I have anything to contribute. That's alright though, I don't think I'll be beating nearly as many games this year as I did the last couple.

• Like 1

Just finished up Bioshock Infinite today. What a great game. I had it for a while before starting it because I was playing Witcher III, but then as soon as I started it I couldn't stop. I hadn't looked at spoilers, so the story was a mystery, and it was definitely one that made me want to see what happened next.

I beat The Fractured but Whole the other day and it was ok. Not as good as stick of truth. Not as much happens and the customization wasn't as good in my opinion and it overall wasn't as funny. Still an ok game. I also beat Luigis Mansion last night. I thought I had beat this as a kid, but after seeing a bunch of stuff I didn't remember I don't think I did, so this was my first time beating it! Very fun game. It's like mario meets resident evil!

post-46128-0-14771200-1515341693_thumb.jpg

post-46128-0-75914700-1515341786_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Okie dokie:

1. Super Bomberman R (Switch)

​Once again, not the most retro start, but I was up to the final boss from fiddling around between work shifts anyway. It's fine, standard bomberman single player. No one buys Bomberman for single player anyway.

I'm really lost as to what to play next now, though- I'm kinda leaning toward Lost in Shadow on the Wii, but maybe I should get & play some of those download games I've been meaning to pick up. Decisions, decisions...

I suppose I'll try to join in this year.

So far I'm at:

1. Double Dragon II (NES) - Supreme Master difficulty (hardest difficulty).

2. Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES) - Both the first and second loop (i.e., hard mode)

3. Life Force (NES) - Did a couple of loops on one credit, near to the end of loop 3. It gets consistently more difficult and this year I'd like to see where it caps.

4. Deathsmiles (Steam) - I've credit fed this many times but I managed to pull off my first 1CC on the normal Arcade mode so I can finally count this as beaten. :)

• Like 1

5. Little Samson (NES)

Lovely game that uses one of my favorite mechanics, i.e. swapping out multiple characters with distinct skills. But it suffers from a kind of Gradius syndrome near the end: lose your friends and try to do the end solo, and it becomes an unexpectedly infuriating experience, with unavoidable hits and cheap-shot bosses galore.

Still, it really is quite good, with nice graphics, controls, and music. I remember firing it up back in 2000, expecting a Bible game, and being very pleasantly surprised by what I got instead. A-.

6. Section Z (NES)

I've always had fond memories of this odd little game -- a shooter where you have to make a map, kind of like Air Fortress (or, on a smaller scale, the branching paths in Xexyz). I didn't remember it as a masterpiece or even necessarily a "hidden gem", but just a good game that required some cleverness to unravel.

Playing it now, my memories were...pretty darn accurate! It gets irritating in a few places, but so can underwear, and we all wear that. (Don't we?) B+.

7. Bad Dudes (NES)

My touchstones for a game like this would normally be Kung Fu and Double Dragon, but it also makes me think of what it was like beating Altered Beast: first I hated it, then I slowly learned all the stages, and then mastery of the game made it a lot more fun.

Of course Bad Dudes -- with its choppy animation, laggy controls, and weird "too hard until you learn it, too easy once you do" difficulty -- isn't nearly as good a game. That said, while midway through beating Bad Dudes my opinion would've been that the designers should have been force-fed the cart PCBs, now I've come to a grudging appreciation of it as a passable beat-'em-up...

...in which the hero mysteriously vomits at the end of each stage. Seriously, that's some bad voice synthesis! C-.

Just beat Time Gal on Sega CD. It's a fun fmv game like space ace or dragons lair. Took me about 2 hours to memorize the whole thing and beat it on hard. I could imagine it would have taken quite a few quarters in the arcade to memorize these types of games lol. Glad to have beaten this and to have it in the collection.

post-46128-0-82888300-1515566123_thumb.jpg

post-46128-0-78886600-1515566146_thumb.jpg

post-46128-0-35075700-1515566165_thumb.jpg

post-46128-0-05078300-1515566204_thumb.jpg

post-46128-0-74934100-1515566219_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

5. Sin & Punishment (N64) - "Easy" mode which is the default. I believe this needs to be completed before "Normal" unlocks. Playing the original Japanese version so I need to use a guide to translate the menus. Awesome game, and still challenging even on the default setting.

6. Star Soldier: Vanishing Earth (N64) - Default difficulty, red ship (spread shot). Fun shmup and the only one released in NA unfortunately. It's pretty generous with EX bombs and extra lives, so it's not a difficult one-credit-clear.

7. Scorcher (Saturn) - Post-apocalyptic, futuristic racer. Always been a personal favorite of mine with interesting physics, course design and a high level of skill required to finish it. The last course can be brutal though, especially when some bugs rear their ugly head (like getting stuck on the track for no reason). Only managed 2nd place on the final track even after restarting what seemed like a thousand times, but you still technically "beat" the game, you just don't get the credits and see the trophy.

8. Necronomicon (Saturn) - Excellent Digital Pinball game by Kaze. Follow-up to Last Gladiators and it's improved in nearly every way (the only way it's not is the constant voicework that's a part of the CD music tracks). I played the "Realms" mode which is the single player/campaign mode of the game. It requires you to complete all of the goals on each of the three tables, play the wizard mode, then shoot a shot that takes you to the next table (or the ending, if you are on the last table).

8. Godzilla (NES)

Deeply flawed game with little variety and no real challenge except for the occasional cheap shot. Yet I've been oddly fond of it ever since renting it as a kid -- and leveling up Godzilla until he can unleash multiple breath-blasts in a row is satisfying. C.

9. Robocop 2 (NES)

This comes close to being a case study in how not to make an NES game, from the garish graphics to the painful controls to the stupidity of the overall design. It's like a ZX Spectrum port gone very wrong. At least it's playable, though, which is more than I can say for many games that are better on paper -- and I've always had a soft spot for short stages full of death traps that can nonetheless be mastered. D.

10. Wizards & Warriors (NES)

This, on the other hand, is a case study in how to make a great NES game -- even if the challenge level is near-zero thanks to unlimited continues. (And a 1CC would be a painful experience, since you come under massive fire from invincible enemies late in the game.)

It probably goes on one stage longer than it should and bites off a little more than it can chew, but it was still pleasant to play this again for what is very likely the first time in almost 30 years; I'd forgotten how fun it was, probably because my memory's tainted by its joyless, Fabio-branded sequel. A-.

It begins! :D

1. Tower Toppler (Atari 7800)

I ended up playing this one for the Atari 7800 High Score Club and got so close to finishing the final 8th tower and beating the game several times, so I ended up continuing to play it over and over (and over) until I finally beat it. After spending around 9 hours playing this game my final thoughts on it are a bit mixed. On one hand the graphics are great and it's really wonderful to have discovered a fairly well designed platformer with puzzle elements for the Atari 7800, a genre that the system generally fairly lacking in, but on the other hand it can be a really frustrating game. There are times that random enemy spawns will just kill you and there is no way whatsoever to win, the game just decides that you're going to lose on that attempt and that's all there is to it. I think I will go back and play Tower Toppler again in the future, since I did enjoy it for the most part, but it is a shame that the programmers decided to craft the game in such a way that the player will encounter several no win situations on any given play through.

2. Pokémon Ultra Sun (Nintendo 3DS)

This one I've been working on for the last 2 weeks, since the very beginning of the year really, and I just finished it this afternoon after 50 some odd hours. Of course being a Pokémon game you're never really "finished" with it and there's still a ton of things to do in the post game after the credits roll, so I wouldn't be surprised if I end up putting another 50 or more hours later down the line. Ultra Sun was actually the first Pokémon game that I've played since Pokémon Black on my old DS Lite many long years ago. To say that I love all the improvements they've made since then would be a massive understatement.

This newest Pokémon game feels so much more approachable and engaging in more ways than I have the space to list here. There's simple little tweaks like putting a little on screen note next to which attacks are effective, super effective, or ineffective against pokémon that you've battled before so you won't have to memorize the rather enormous attack effectiveness chart, and also major improvements that change the entire feel of the game. The new Pokémon Refresh system that allows you to feed, groom, and play with the pokémon in your party goes a long way towards making your battling companions feel like real living creatures with their own wants and needs rather than just statistic crunching battle machines.

The only criticism I could really make about Pokémon Ultra Sun is that while the story is likely the most complex and engaging story to grace any Pokémon game that I've played, at times—and particularly in the side quests—it takes a few rather dark and disturbing turns that don't seem very suitable for children. One part in particular that stood out to me involved rescuing an abused Vulpix (which is an adorable little fox pokémon, for the uninformed) and then having to go visit the poor traumatized creature at a rehabilitation clinic every day for most of a week to help it begin to overcome it's fear of humans and start doing basic things like eating and going outside again. There's a lot of really sad and emotionally charged storytelling in the game like I've never seen in a Pokémon game before, and while I applaud the writers for the more mature storyline I'm not sure some of it is appropriate for their target audience. Melancholy moments aside though, Pokémon Ultra Sun really was a wonderful game and I had a fantastic time playing through it. :)

I just beat Star fox 2 on my SupaBoy. First game of the year to beat. I first played the original and couldn't beat it (never have). Going from one to the other it's amazing the difference between games. They really upped the visuals with a higher frame rate and an impressive amount of texture mapping. The music quality was improved too. It's amazing that it took till 2017 for this game to finally get a release.

• Like 1

2. Pokémon Ultra Sun (Nintendo 3DS)

This one I've been working on for the last 2 weeks, since the very beginning of the year really, and I just finished it this afternoon after 50 some odd hours. Of course being a Pokémon game you're never really "finished" with it and there's still a ton of things to do in the post game after the credits roll, so I wouldn't be surprised if I end up putting another 50 or more hours later down the line. Ultra Sun was actually the first Pokémon game that I've played since Pokémon Black on my old DS Lite many long years ago. To say that I love all the improvements they've made since then would be a massive understatement.

This newest Pokémon game feels so much more approachable and engaging in more ways than I have the space to list here. There's simple little tweaks like putting a little on screen note next to which attacks are effective, super effective, or ineffective against pokémon that you've battled before so you won't have to memorize the rather enormous attack effectiveness chart, and also major improvements that change the entire feel of the game. The new Pokémon Refresh system that allows you to feed, groom, and play with the pokémon in your party goes a long way towards making your battling companions feel like real living creatures with their own wants and needs rather than just statistic crunching battle machines.

The only criticism I could really make about Pokémon Ultra Sun is that while the story is likely the most complex and engaging story to grace any Pokémon game that I've played, at times—and particularly in the side quests—it takes a few rather dark and disturbing turns that don't seem very suitable for children. One part in particular that stood out to me involved rescuing an abused Vulpix (which is an adorable little fox pokémon, for the uninformed) and then having to go visit the poor traumatized creature at a rehabilitation clinic every day for most of a week to help it begin to overcome it's fear of humans and start doing basic things like eating and going outside again. There's a lot of really sad and emotionally charged storytelling in the game like I've never seen in a Pokémon game before, and while I applaud the writers for the more mature storyline I'm not sure some of it is appropriate for their target audience. Melancholy moments aside though, Pokémon Ultra Sun really was a wonderful game and I had a fantastic time playing through it. :)

I agree with you, and it has some really good story points- I almost forgot I was playing a Pokemon game and not a Final Fantasy game.

Ultra Sun I think is a bit more difficult than Sun. I had to level like crazy to get past the trial right before the 'wormhole search'. :)