IGNORED

Games Beaten In 2018!

Charlie Cat

Just beat Super Hydorah on Ps4. This was an amazing shmup and I'm really happy limited run games decided to release this one. The game is maybe 3 times as long as a regular shmup and doesn't lack in difficulty. Every level is unique and is accompanied by awesome music. The last two levels were pretty hard but I loved every second of it. This is a game I can play again and again and it won't get old. I have to get a flawless run for the hero ending anyway lol.

post-46128-0-47509800-1527537037_thumb.jpg

I just started Super Hydorah on my iPhone -- same game but with touch controls (and I'm about 400x more likely to actually play it than the PS4 version). It's a great retro-style shmup. Thanks for reminding me I had it. ;-)

Oh man if I had an iPhone I would never stop playing this game lol. That's awesome man. Definitely play it. I usually play strikers, dodonpachi, or gunbird 2 on my Samsung phone.

Hydorah is neat. Not my favorite Locomalito game (that goes to Maldita Castilla), but I picked it up on the Xbone last year and ran through it on stream. It gets tough near the end, but overall it was pretty manageable.

I agree. I blazed through the beginning, but had some trouble with the last two levels. It was easier once I started using the magic sword. I was really happy to get have this on a physical disc though and not on steam. I didn't know it was on xbox one either. It's such a good game in my opinion.

28. Shaq Fu (Genesis)

Back in 2011 I beat Shaq Fu's lower difficulties with ease, but then got completely stymied when I tried to beat the highest difficulty (Expert), and set the game aside after many frustrating (and hand-cramping) attempts. This year I got back on the horse, figured a few things out and diversified my tactics, and ultimately got good enough to defeat the main mode (Story mode) on Expert.

Is it as bad as its reputation? No, though it's deeply flawed and frustrating. But at least on Expert, there are glimpses of a decent tactical fighter lurking under the hood -- one poorly served, however, by forcing you to play as the game's slowest, laggiest character. D.

29. Pause Ahead (Flash)

Whenever you pause in this platformer, your character continues to move with whatever momentum he had at the moment you paused. This leads to some creative possibilities, though the game's Kaizo-esque later levels write a check its controls can't always cash. Still, it was a fun 90 minutes or so, though I have no inclination to replay the game to unearth the secrets I apparently missed. B-.

30. Army Men 3D (PlayStation)

Beaten on Easy, then on Hard -- which in a way is a shame, since I'm guessing Normal strikes the best balance, but I didn't see myself undertaking three playthroughs.

Still, I enjoyed this third-person shooter enough to see it through to the end twice, though it'd be nice if the AI had modes other than "brain-dead" and "can see through walls" (so that stealthy play was actually rewarded), and the lack of checkpoints got frustrating at times. I'm also not a fan of enemies that pop into existence when you cross imaginary lines in the stage, but at least that only crops up in a few places.

The game also has nice clear objectives and a plot that could have been engaging with a bit more polish; pity that the ending is so poorly done. C+.

Mega Man 7, 9 and 10 on PS4. Now slowly starting 8.

9 was the best, with great weapons, stages design and bosses, but was also the hardest one. Ive swear so much playing that game... it could get so frustrating but also really rewarding after beating the stages.

10 was also really good, and 7 was really easy, but I really liked the 16 bits sprite.

• Like 2

47. Dark Souls Remastered (Xbox One) - Sort of left this one salty on my first set of playthroughs on the 360 last year. However, the improved framerate, resolution, and other tweaks have made it more enjoyable for me on current gen systems. It's still tough, and it's still frustrating, but I can at least no longer complain about a bad framerate causing deaths. Ended up rolling through the game twice since it came out on the 25th.

48. Off-World Interceptor Extreme (PlayStation) - This one never really "clicked" with me in previous gameplay attempts, but for some reason it managed to do so when I fired it up over the weekend. I wouldn't call it a "good" game, but I still enjoyed its arcade-style linearity. Arcade mode is probably the way to go for first-time players, as the vehicles you purchase come maxed out on their stats by default, which in turn makes the game easier. You can also tackle level sets in any order instead of playing through them in a specific manner, which helps with the difficulty curve. Story Mode is considerably more difficult, but you do get an extra set of stages along with a bonus vehicle for playing it.

I recently beat Mega man 7 on the New 3DS virtual Console. I have to say it is a little rough around the edges but it is by no means a bad Mega Man game. I also played Mega Man 8 on the Legacy Collection 2 and cleared that game as well. I really enjoyed the 32-bit spritework. It's a shame that we never got any more Mega Man games in this art style.

• Like 1

What an unusual slow year for me... my first Capcom game beaten in 2018 is Viewtiful Joe (PS2). I then tried beating the next harder difficulty level with Dante, but gave up halfway into it...

Earlier in 2018 I sunk another two and a half months into Mega Man Zero 2, but ultimately decided to give up on that as well. In fact I got so tired of Mega Man games during the past 7 years that I decided to significanlty downsize my mission. From now on I'll only do games from the classic and the X series, so my ToDo list shrank to to MM9-MM11, MMX4-MMX8 and the MMX RPG. Phew... looks doable again ;)

Capcom games beaten in 2018: Viewtiful Joe

Just beat Metroid Zero Mission.

I have to say I was disappointed with this game. The movement felt too fast compared to the first three games and some of the battles were pretty frustrating and not fun to play, and to top it off, the stealth part at the end completely ruined the game because of how trial and error it was and how tacked-on it felt, especially having played the original before.

Still prefer the NES game by a mile.

Edited by AtticGamer

31. Columns (Game Gear)

33. Columns (Sega Master System)

Listed out of order for obvious reasons. In both games I beat Flash mode on the hardest settings (Hard mode, 9 High), which is the only mode with an ending. I've played the Master System a bit ages ago, but otherwise I haven't played either one's main mode enough to give these a "grade", though they're both in the OK-to-passable range. n/a

32. All Star Tennis '99 (Nintendo 64)

I gave this a D+ back in 2014, but I think it's a bit worse than that -- the gameplay is just too warped and joyless for the plus. D.

34. Soreyuke!! Amida-Kun (Game Boy)

This puzzler based on a Japanese lot-drawing game seemed ferociously difficult at first until I discovered that your character's starting position, which originally appeared to be random, can be manually chosen by hitting the Start button. Once I knew that it became much easier -- perhaps too easy, though the alternative is too hard (and sometimes unwinnable).

The underlying gameplay mechanic is good, but the music loops are too short and the controls frustrating (which makes playing on a faster speed than the game's default seem like a very unappetizing idea). Also, why have the player manually input a password via a terrible UI instead of having a standard continue feature, or at least pre-loading the password after a GAME OVER? C.

#6: Battletech (PC) - outstanding single-player campaign and gameplay made this seriously addicting. I've got almost 60 hours registered on this game and it came out in late April. That's a ton of time poured into a single game for me there. Well worth the $25 I spent to back it on Kickstarter in 2015.

Today I beat Gunsmoke on NES. This game was great! It's like a verticle shmup except you're a cowboy lol. A shoots left, b shoots rigjt, and a + b together shoots straight. Not the hardest game in the world as it took me only 3 tries, but it was a lot of fun. And my thumb is sore from dodging with the d pad. I recommend this game for sure.

post-46128-0-84375100-1528417161_thumb.jpgpost-46128-0-78586400-1528417297_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

NARC - NES

Boy did I hate this game at first. I've warmed up to it though. The control scheme could have been better.

This is one of those games that seems impossible, but is actually very easy once you know what you're doing. It helps that you get an extra life every 100k points and you get a crap load of bonus points for arresting enemies rather than shooting them.

• Like 2

49. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (Xbox One) - Really great classicVania throwback. It's not as "busy" as the old Castlevanias, but there are some nice mechanics here and the bosses are pretty involved. Great soundtrack, too. I ended up completing the game on my first try via the Normal difficulty, then after that I ran through it again on the Nightmare setting. I appreciate how they change up how the game is tackled and give you different content at the end. I need to run through the game again and kill my potential comrades, as apparently that gives me further abilities and should unlock the Ultimate Mode.

Beat Tiny Toon Adventures on NES today. This was a fun game! 6 levels long and the first 4 have 3 parts each. You start as Buster but can pick from 3 characters to turn into. Pick Plucky lol. The last level was surprisingly hard! Still an overall easy game. I recommend it. And yes the second picture looks dirty lol.

post-46128-0-05612000-1528948158_thumb.jpgpost-46128-0-75629100-1528948204_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

50. Haunted Castle (arcade) - Played this via the PS4 Arcade Archives release. It took me several attempts to get the hang of it again, but I managed to figure things out and was able to get through it. We credit fed like crazy the first time through and it probably took an hour to learn everything, but the second run only took a handful of credits. Hopefully I can 1CC this one soon. As a big Castlevania fan this game has its charm and I do enjoy it, but I can see it being a tough sell to casual fans. Some of the hit detection is especially awful.

51. Double Dragon (arcade) - Also via the Arcade Archives release. Did a 1CC luckily despite not having played this game in a while. Thankfully the elbow makes things relatively trivial, but you can still get screwed pretty badly by the trap blocks and spear guys on the final stage. I like this AA PS4 release, it looks more crisp than the Xbox Live Arcade version from the mid 2000's.

A whole lot of games for me to add to my list this time around! I'll keep my thoughts on each to just a few sentences to make this manageable. Also, love that ending picture for Tiny Toon Adventures on the NES! :lol: How naughty...

fhEAkYL.png

Anyway…

38. Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles (Nintendo Wii)

The Wii is home to a ton of light gun shooters, which is a pretty substantial part of the reason that it's my all time favorite home console. Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles and Darkside Chronicles are both fantastic games, but but I think I like Darkside Chronicles just a little bit better for it's greater weapon customization and load out options. If you're a fan of light gun games then you can't go wrong with either though.

39. Arcade Hits Pack: Gunblade NY: Special Air Assault Force & L.A. Machineguns: Rage of the Machines (Nintendo Wii)

This compilation of two classic arcade light gun games from Sega has become a rather rare and sought after game on the Wii, and for good reason. It's simple, straightforward arcade fun with unlimited continues. Between the two games I liked Gunblade NY the best in spite of it's more simplistic graphics, particularly for the time attack mode that gives it excellent replay value.

40. Metroid Prime 2: Echoes on Metroid Prime Trilogy (Nintendo Wii)

The original Metroid Prime for the GameCube will always be my favorite in the series, but the second installment in the series still manages to capture everything that made the original so great; except this time the setting is a desolate war-torn world with less subtropical jungles and more… well, desolation. New mechanics keep the game fresh and interesting for fans of the original and it was just all around a lot of fun to play through.

41. Sega Bass Fishing (Nintendo Wii)

Another Sega arcade game ported to the Wii, and done in spectacular fashion. The Wii remote and nunchuck make an excellent stand in for the arcade game's fishing rod controller and the motion controls are responsive and fluid. If you like Sega's whacky over the top arcade fishing games then definitely keep an eye out for this one in the bargain bins of your favorite used game stores.

42. Streets of Rage (Sega Master System)

Strangely I've never played the original Streets of Rage on the Genesis, but the Master System conversion was a ton of fun. It was a little on the easy side, since I never had to use a continue at all until the final boss, but it I still had a great time playing through it and felt like it was an hour and a half well spent. Unlike many graphically detailed Master System games this one had no slow down or input lag at all and played a really crisp frame rate. This was a PAL only release but it's still quite affordable and definitely worth importing if you're a fan of the Master System in the US.

43. Mortal Kombat (Sega Master System)

Continuing on with the Master System, Mortal Komat is pretty much the opposite of Streets of Rage. Massive slowdown and input lag makes the game really picky about timing your button inputs just right to pull off special moves and fatalities, but it's still Mortal Kombat on an 8-bit system and that alone makes it impressive. It's better than the Game Boy version, but just by a little.

44. Mortal Kombat II (Sega Master System)

The second Mortal Kombat game on the Master System fares a little better than the first, with much less input lag and slowdown making it much easier to pull off your special moves and whatnot. Unfortunately the characters all have substantially less frames of animation than in the original Mortal Kombat, making the action look and feel really choppy. On the plus side, there's Kintaro in this version, and he was sadly absent from most 8-bit ports of Mortal Kombat II. It's worth playing if you really like the Master System, but for everyone else looking for a solid 8-bit conversion of Mortal Kombat II theres...

45. Mortal Kombat II (Game Boy)

Yep, this is the best 8-bit Mortal Kombat II port that I've ever had the privilege of playing. The action is fast and smooth with no slowdown or input lag, the roster of characters is sizable, and most importantly the game just plays great. It's kind of a technical marvel how well this game runs on the Game Boy and I'd highly recommend it to any Game Boy collectors out there.

46. Super R.C. Pro-Am (Game Boy)

Another Game Boy game, Super R.C. Pro-Am is a childhood favorite of mine. It's like Micro Machines with an isometric viewpoint and guns, which is to say it's awesome.

47. Alien vs. Predator: The Last of His Clan (Game Boy)

The Game Boy had quite a few surprisingly good licensed games, and Alien vs. Predator is one of my favorites. You play as the Predator and get all the weapons and gadgets from the movies that the Predator should have, which you put to great use eviscerating facehuggers, chestbursters, adult alien drones, and eventually the alien queen if you make it that far. This is definitely one of favorite games on the system.

48. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption on Metroid Prime Trilogy (Nintendo Wii)

Another game with aliens, but unfortunately not the xenomorph kind. As much as I enjoyed Metroid Prime 2, the third game in the series felt like kind of a slog to me. They mixed it up with lots of new mechanics and the ability to fly your ship around from planet to planet, but I think I was just a little burned out on Metroid Prime after having played through the second one so recently. There was nothing particularly wrong with the game and I did see it through to the end, which was a satisfying conclusion to the Metroid Prime saga, but after 40+ hours of Metroid Prime over the last couple months I think I'm done with the series for the time being. Too much of a good thing I think.

49. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Game Boy)

Lastly, today I just finished playing through my #1 all time favorite game on any system: The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening for the original Game Boy. It was my very first Zelda game as a kid and even after 25 years and playing through almost every Zelda game that's been released since it's still my favorite in the series. I try to play through this game once a year and this time around I finally managed to get the special ending by beating the game without ever dying even once. :)

SStlRZV.jpg

Edited by Jin
  • Like 2

Operation Wolf (NES)

I don't even have a Zapper so I used the controller.

I'm ashamed that it took me over a week to finally beat this. The first four stages are easy once you have them memorized. The last two stages are frustrating because of having to protect the stupid prisoners as well as deal with the large number of helicopters.

I really like this game though. Fun arcade port.

Edited by mbd30
  • Like 1