IGNORED

Games Beaten In 2018!

Charlie Cat

I always seem to procrastinate on updating my list in this thread until I have 10 games or more to talk about, and today is no exception. :lol:

61. WordJong Party (Nintendo Wii)

This is one of those Wii games that totally looks like shovel ware when you see it on the shelf, but in actuality is a really fun and well designed game. It's kind of like a cross between Shanghai, Boggle, and Scrabble and as a fan of all those games it was a ton of fun to play. I'm not sure how many hours I sank into the quest mode in this game but it was at least a dozen, and every minute of it was time well spent. The multiplayer party mode was alright, but the single quest mode was great fun and a had perfect difficulty curve. Also, it's a game with an anthropomorphic fox as a playable character and that's always a major selling point for me.

62. Wii Play (Nintendo Wii)

Wii Play is a compilation of 9 minigames that came bundled with Wii remote controllers and was designed to teach players new to the Wii about all the different motion control functions of the Wii remote. They were all fairly enjoyable but a few games in particular stood out to me and kept me coming back to play them again and again: Laser Hockey and Tanks! Laser Hockey is basically air hockey but with flashy neon everything and Tanks! is essentially Atari's classic 2600 pack-in game Combat but with modern graphics and computer A.I. controlling the opposing tanks. Every minigame has a good bit of replay value with Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Platinum medals that can be earned depending on your performance and getting a Gold or Platinum ranking in any game is a serious challenge. If you can find this compilation for a buck or two (I got mine for $0.99 complete in box from GameStop) I'd definitely recommend checking it out if for no other reason than the Tanks! minigame.

63. Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition (Nintendo Wii)

I've played through Resident Evil 4 many, many times over the years but this was actually the first time I ever beat it on Professional difficulty. Even though I already knew every part of the game like the back of my hand it still gave me one heck of a challenge on Professional and there were quite a few times that I died and had to retry certain areas with different strategies than I was accustomed to using. In any case, I did manage to beat it eventually and there's really nothing bad I could say about Resident Evil 4 on the Wii. The Wii remote pointer controls make pulling off headshots all day long a breeze and having all the extra content from the PS2 and GameCube versions bundled in make the Wii port the definitive version of a survival horror classic.

64. Dead Space: Extraction (Nintendo Wii)

Next up is my all time favorite on-rails light gun shooter on any system, and it's a game I always play through at least once a year (twice this time around). Dead Space: Extraction is without a doubt the most deep, cinematic, and story driven light gun game ever conceived with a cast of truly believable characters, excellent voice acting, and a plethora of weapon upgrades and arsenal customization options. It's also scary as all get out, even more so than the original Dead Space games on the Xbox 360 and PS3 in my opinion. If you like light gun and horror games and have never played Dead Space: Extraction before then this is one game that you owe it to yourself to play.

65. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Sega Genesis)

There's always going to be a lot of debate as to what is the best Sonic the Hedgehog game, and while Sonic 2 isn't my #1 favorite (mine is Sonic 3 & Knuckles) I sure wouldn't blame anyone for picking it as theirs. Sonic 2 was actually my very first Sega Genesis game since it came packed in with the system when I got it for Christmas as a kid, and it's one of those games that just never gets old to me. It's also one of the small handful of Sega Genesis games I own a physical copy of these days, so I always give it a play at least once a year.

66. StreetPass Mii Plaza: Find Mii II (Nintendo 3DS)

The sequel to Find Mii, this is one of the several minigames built into the 3DS's StreetPass Mii Plaza and wow was it ever one heck of a challenge. One of the new features in this game is potions that can be bought for play coins to increase your heroes' levels, dispel barriers, and perform a variety of other effects; and oh will you ever need them. There were many, many situations in which I had to save up at least 40 play coins to buy enough potions to have a reasonable shot at taking on an enemy. In spite of the difficulty though it was still a good time and a fun use of all the play coins I had built up from carrying my 3DS around everywhere.

67. StreetPass Mii Plaza: Slot Car Rivals (Nintendo 3DS)

Another StreetPass Mii Plaza game, and this one was a pretty tough one too! It's a simple single button racing game that seems like it would play wonderfully on the Atari 2600 (with a fair bit of graphical downgrading of course) and I had a lot of fun every time I played it; though wow was the final boss ever tough! It must have taken me at least a dozen tries to win the race against him but I got there eventually. :)

68. Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (Nintendo 3DS)

I went into this one never having played the original Luigi's Mansion so I can't say how the sequel compares to the original, but what I can say is that Dark Moon is one heck of an amazing and wonderful game. Fusing Nintendo's signature charm with a variety of dark and spooky environments and a Ghostbusters premise with plenty of puzzle solving, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon is a brilliantly crafted horror game for all ages. If you have a 3DS and like horror games then Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon is a no-brainer purchase.

69. Cabela's Survival: Shadows of Katmai (Nintendo Wii)

I was pretty skeptical that a Cabela's game could actually be good, let alone provide a compelling survival horror experience, but holy hell did this game ever prove me wrong! It was chalked full of hilariously well written dialog, had a pretty creepy story, and really fun gameplay that felt a lot like Uncharted or one of the more recent Tomb Raider games. I ended up having such a great time with Shadows of Katmai that I played it through from beginning to end in a single session. It was a fairly short game at only 4 hours long, but once I started playing I just couldn't put it down; and for the $3 that I paid for it I really can't complain about the game's length. It's nice to play a shorter game now and then, and it does have some bonus on-rails light gun shooter levels to lend the game some extra replay value.

In spite of my initial skepticism, Cabela's Survival: Shadows of Katmai is definitely going to be making my end of the year list of the top 10 favorite games that I played for the first time this year, and I think I'm probably going to play through it again in the not too distant future. It's a survival horror hidden gem for sure!

70. SimAnimals (Nintendo Wii)

From the makers of SimCity and The Sims, SimAnimals has officially dethroned SimAnt as my all time favorite Sim game! The simple gist of the game is that you play the hand of god and oversee a whole forest full of all kinds of creatures, trying your best to balance the ecology of the forest to keep as many creatures happy as possible; and by accomplishing certain goals along the way you gradually unlock more areas of the forest and new species of animals to play around with. Being a Sim game though you don't necessarily have to be a good overseer all the time, if for instance you got curious as to what might happen if you were to drop a half starved grizzly bear in to the middle of a herd of sleeping deer. It's also a rather educational game that got me thinking about ecology and conservation in whole new ways, like when I figured out that if I wanted to have lots of foxes in my forest I should plant buttercup flowers. Why? Because mice love eating buttercups so growing lots of buttercups will attract lots of mice, and foxes eat mice so in order to support a sizable fox population you need to grow lots of buttercups. Edutainment at it's best!

71. Deadly Creatures (Nintendo Wii)

Deadly Creatures is an incredibly unique 3D action-adventure / beat 'em up sort of game that has you alternating between playing as a tarantula and a scorpion, both fighting their way through the Sonoran desert as a grisly tale of murder and greed unfold by the humans (played by Billy Bob Thorton and Dennis Hopper) they encounter along the way. If that sounds awesome then let me be the first to assure you that it is indeed, 100% completely, every bit as awesome as it sounds. The whole game has a ton of polish and it's clear that THQ intended it to be a blockbuster title, but for some reason it just never got the attention it deserved at the time of it's release. Plus it's a game that lets you play as a spider! Even Spider: The Video Game for the original PlayStation didn't do this brilliant of a job of simulating the experience of being a spider, though it isn't perfectly realistic since the spider in Deadly Creatures does inexplicably seem to know how to preform a variety of professional wrestling moves. I can't say I've ever seen a tarantula clothesline a lizard then pick it up and body slam it in real life before, but then again I don't know that many tarantulas. :lol:

Edited by Jin
  • Like 1

I was trying out another new-to-me game recently and accidentally played through it.

Fighter's History (SNES):

HR8pIXPl.jpg

My SNES and my HDTV aren't playing nice right now (as you can see by the weird fuzzy artifacts on screen) but the game played pretty well. It's a SFII clone, and one of the most infamous ones. Capcom actually sued Data East because it was so similar to SFII! I've only ever played the arcade game, but the SNES port is decent. Not quite as polished as SFII, but pretty damn close. Once I sort out why my SNES looks like hot garbage, I'll up the difficulty and give it another go.

72. Nightmare Creatures (PlayStation)

I've had a love affair with this game ever since I first played a demo of it on a demo disc from Official PlayStation Magazine when I was 12 years old, but it wasn't until today that I ever actually beat the game without using any cheat codes along the way. Nightmare Creatures is an intensely challenging horror themed beat 'em up, with buckets 'o blood aplenty and a pretty darn harsh difficulty level even on Easy mode. The fun of exploring all the game's creepy locales and discovering new ways of dismembering the denizens of the night that populate them always kept me coming back for more in spite of the punishing difficulty, but every time I ended up playing for a few hours then giving up because the game just got too hard after a while. This is one of those games where even the weakest enemies can kill you in just a few hits if you don't time your attacks and blocks precisely.

I wasn't planning on playing Nightmare Creatures this year, but with my Wii currently out of commission due to a broken disc drive and all my Halloween gaming plans on hiatus until I can get the Wii fixed up, Nightmare Creatures was about the only seasonally appropriate game I had around here that I hadn't beaten yet; so I decided to give it another go. I played it again and again, each time getting a little better and learning a little more about what attack and defense strategies to use for each individual enemy, and after 7 hours or so of practice I had finally "got gud" as the kids these days would say and put the nail in the coffin of the final boss.

Fans of Dark Souls would do well to give Nightmare Creatures a try. :)

Edited by Jin

73. Sonic the Hedgehog (Sega Genesis)

I was feeling a little down this morning so the misses suggested we play some games together to cheer me up, and sure enough it worked like a charm. We ended up playing through the original Sonic the Hedgehog on the Sega Genesis, trading off the controller between zones, and managed to beat it with all 6 chaos emeralds collected to boot. As far as video game comfort food goes there's few games that hit that warm fuzzy spot for me quite like the Sonic games on the Genesis. All of them, Spinball and 3D Blast included, never fail to brighten my day whenever I play them. :)

• Like 1

82. DOOM (PlayStation) - Ran through both the Ultimate DOOM and DOOM II portions in one sitting on stream. It's been a while since I've gone through this and I feel it's held up better than I remember. It generally runs well and plays well, and there's a lot of content here. As a DOOM fan, it's interesting to see how well DOOM II was converted. Lots of enemy placement differences, but the level layouts and architecture is pretty faithful (this is contrasted with the Ultimate DOOM side, which is mostly based on the cut-down Jaguar level set).

83. Castlevania: Lament of Innocence (PS2) - I haven't finished this since it was originally released, so I wasn't sure what my experience would be like. I made a point to 100% the game and I honestly feel like that wasn't worth it. This requires an insane amount of backtracking along with tedious switch hunting. A few of the items discovered as a result of this were useful, but ultimately unnecessary. It was tedious and this was compounded by repetitious level structures, a lack of convenient fast traveling, and a map that can only be accessed on a separate screen (it's difficult to tell where you are in a level, so you are constantly bringing up the map to make sure you are going in the right direction). The combat itself is fine but nothing here is terribly difficult outside a handful of select moments. The story itself is lackluster and executed poorly, and the characters are flamboyant to the point of being ridiculous (particularly for the time period this is supposedly set). I don't normally complain about things like that, but I wanted there to be at least *something* I ended up caring about in this game, but nope, there was nothing. I enjoyed the combat and the music, but the tedious exploration left the whole thing soured. On a more positive note, the game does have several unlockables, like added playable characters after you beat the game, and a harder "Crazy" difficulty mode that I've yet to try. Maybe I'll enjoy it more then, but right now my thoughts are that it was a neat game when it first came out, but time has not been kind at all to its style or design choices. Sadly, Devil May Cry did "Castlevania" better than Castlevania did.

84. Blood (PC) - Haven't finished this one since the '90s, but using the BloodGDX port I was able to get it working on my PC with a modern resolution and other helpful options. Overall I enjoy the game, but it has a lot of issues that keeps it from me putting it in the same category as something like Doom or Quake (or even Heretic, for that matter). The map design can be quite confusing and this is compounded by the fact there is a crazy amount of key hunting (you can hold up to *six* keys.. ugh). There is also an over abundance of hitscanning enemies. This makes playing on the fourth and fifth difficulty modes extremely difficult when played like a "normal" FPS, and supremely tedious if you actually plan on surviving (prepare to slowly snipe enemies from around corners, and save scum all the time). Playing on the medium difficulty allowed me to play faster like with DOOM, but the downside is there are less enemies than the higher modes, so it's not as chaotic. One thing that's interesting about this game is that it has two soundtracks, one delivered via CD audio, and one handled by the sound card via midi. Surprisingly, I unexpectedly ended up preferring the midi soundtrack. It had a lot more personality with more involved tracks. The CD audio can get pretty bombastic, and this can be neat, but it has a limited amount of tracks so many are overused and get repetitive, especially by the time you hit episode 3 or 4. In the end, I do think Blood is a good game, but to anyone that decides to give it a try, prepare to have your balls crushed. The game is not kind.

85. Castlevania: Dracula X (SNES) - I spent some time practicing this one to get the best ending consistently. It's kind of a pain to do and I'm not entirely sure if it's worth the trouble, but you do get some alternate routes to experience as well as a completely new level that you won't see if you don't make the effort. Overall I did enjoy my time with it again, but it's still far from my favorite in the linear Castlevania series. Too many flat backgrounds for a '95 release, uninteresting level structures, stiff movement and tedious moments make it a drag compared to other 'Vanias. But, I do still enjoy it. The soundtrack holds up particularly well.

86. Diablo (PC) - It's been a few years since I last finished this one, but I did a full playthrough on my YT stream last week. Considering the game is 22 years old as of this writing, I think it's held up quite well. Its action-RPG point 'n click gameplay still feels pretty good, its pre-rendered visuals still look solid (particularly when displayed on a CRT VGA monitor), and the sounds and music still make for a foreboding atmosphere. More importantly, the way it handles randomized dungeon layouts and quests is fantastic, making for a fresh experience even decades after its release. I ended up playing and capturing this from an old Pentium-based Windows '95 rig, but I wish Blizzard would do a modern port of this to allow it to be played on current operating systems. There is an aftermarket port available, but I stayed away from it due to how much is added (a lot of liberties were taken with it), and I wanted the original experience on my stream. It's a fantastic game that needs to be made available so old fans can play it easily on current systems, and so younger fans of the newer games can go back and see where the series began.

87. Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (PC Engine DUO) - The cream of the crop when it comes to the linear Castlevania series! Hard to beat Super Castlevania IV for a good, straightforward, atmospheric playthrough, but I can't deny Rondo's fluidity, excellent audio, top-notch visuals, and replay value with its splitting paths, hidden areas, alternate playable character, and boss 'Technics' unlockables. It's a super fun game that feels buttery smooth, and I highly recommend playing it any way you can (PS4 owners, that should be later this week!).

I enjoyed watching your playthrough on YouTube! That said there's a subtle point that makes the Wizard/fairy collection sequence seem a bit less cryptic: IIRC, the screen with the Wizards is the only room where projectiles (including Wave and their fireballs) can pass through walls. It's not necessary to kill them from their side of the screen -- you can do it from the far side, and it's much easier to line them up.

For some reason the entire Internet seems to have forgotten this tip, but it was known back around 1990 when I beat the game -- though I don't remember whether I figured it out myself, got it from Nintendo Power, or called the Nintendo tipline and got it from them.

Also, check out what happens at 1:59 in this video. I know about the "footprints/lizard prints in the sand" Easter egg, but I've never seen this one before, with two columns of marching soldiers followed by double-speed music. I wonder if it's exclusive to the Japanese release (Hydlide Special)?

I haven't checked this thread in over a month it seems, so I missed this. I have thought about trying to nab the wizards from the other side of the moat, but decided to just stick with the other strategy (I figured if I missed or died, I'd have to reload anyway. It's a hell of a lot faster than waiting for your magic to charge back up!).

That's interesting about the marching soldiers. I have not seen that. I haven't seen the one about the footprints in the desert either. There's a walkthrough on GameFAQs that says if you hit three or more sandworms with one wave shot, something is supposed to happen, but I couldn't get it to work.

I actually kind of enjoy this game. It's tedious, but it's old (one of the first of its kind) and I can let it slide. I get into a bit of a "zen"-like state with these grindy RPGs, and I enjoy that. The cryptic nature makes it a drag to learn, but I guess that's what walkthroughs are for, right?

I spent quality time this moth with Maximo vs Army of Zin (PS2) probably the best US made Capcom game ever! :D

Capcom games beaten in 2018: Viewtiful Joe, Dino Crisis 3, Mega Man X4, Mega Man X5, Mega Man X6, Mega Man X7, Mega Man X8, Warriors of Fate, Armored Warriors, Onimusha Tactics, Battle Circuit & Maximo vs Army of Zin

After about 15 hours of playing it the past several days, I finished the first scenario in Aerobiz for the Super Nintendo just now. :)

It spans the era 1963-1995, but after six or seven attempts that usually only lasted an hour or so, I had a fairly easy time of it and achieved my completion criteria in the mid 1970's. Time to tackle scenario 2 (1983-2015) and bump up the difficulty a notch.

If anyone ever reads this that will be playing Aerobiz and wants some advice, play aggressively. Don't play passively and reactionary. Try to keep expanding and planning at all times, rather than just improving what you've already done. And push your advantages such as more modern and fuel efficient jets compared to the competition. Don't just settle for undercutting their fares then. Take full advantage of your lower cost and slash prices several hundred dollars and drive them out of that particular route or make them lose money trying to keep up.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

82. DOOM (PlayStation) - Ran through both the Ultimate DOOM and DOOM II portions in one sitting on stream. It's been a while since I've gone through this and I feel it's held up better than I remember. It generally runs well and plays well, and there's a lot of content here. As a DOOM fan, it's interesting to see how well DOOM II was converted. Lots of enemy placement differences, but the level layouts and architecture is pretty faithful (this is contrasted with the Ultimate DOOM side, which is mostly based on the cut-down Jaguar level set).

83. Castlevania: Lament of Innocence (PS2) - I haven't finished this since it was originally released, so I wasn't sure what my experience would be like. I made a point to 100% the game and I honestly feel like that wasn't worth it. This requires an insane amount of backtracking along with tedious switch hunting. A few of the items discovered as a result of this were useful, but ultimately unnecessary. It was tedious and this was compounded by repetitious level structures, a lack of convenient fast traveling, and a map that can only be accessed on a separate screen (it's difficult to tell where you are in a level, so you are constantly bringing up the map to make sure you are going in the right direction). The combat itself is fine but nothing here is terribly difficult outside a handful of select moments. The story itself is lackluster and executed poorly, and the characters are flamboyant to the point of being ridiculous (particularly for the time period this is supposedly set). I don't normally complain about things like that, but I wanted there to be at least *something* I ended up caring about in this game, but nope, there was nothing. I enjoyed the combat and the music, but the tedious exploration left the whole thing soured. On a more positive note, the game does have several unlockables, like added playable characters after you beat the game, and a harder "Crazy" difficulty mode that I've yet to try. Maybe I'll enjoy it more then, but right now my thoughts are that it was a neat game when it first came out, but time has not been kind at all to its style or design choices. Sadly, Devil May Cry did "Castlevania" better than Castlevania did.

84. Blood (PC) - Haven't finished this one since the '90s, but using the BloodGDX port I was able to get it working on my PC with a modern resolution and other helpful options. Overall I enjoy the game, but it has a lot of issues that keeps it from me putting it in the same category as something like Doom or Quake (or even Heretic, for that matter). The map design can be quite confusing and this is compounded by the fact there is a crazy amount of key hunting (you can hold up to *six* keys.. ugh). There is also an over abundance of hitscanning enemies. This makes playing on the fourth and fifth difficulty modes extremely difficult when played like a "normal" FPS, and supremely tedious if you actually plan on surviving (prepare to slowly snipe enemies from around corners, and save scum all the time). Playing on the medium difficulty allowed me to play faster like with DOOM, but the downside is there are less enemies than the higher modes, so it's not as chaotic. One thing that's interesting about this game is that it has two soundtracks, one delivered via CD audio, and one handled by the sound card via midi. Surprisingly, I unexpectedly ended up preferring the midi soundtrack. It had a lot more personality with more involved tracks. The CD audio can get pretty bombastic, and this can be neat, but it has a limited amount of tracks so many are overused and get repetitive, especially by the time you hit episode 3 or 4. In the end, I do think Blood is a good game, but to anyone that decides to give it a try, prepare to have your balls crushed. The game is not kind.

85. Castlevania: Dracula X (SNES) - I spent some time practicing this one to get the best ending consistently. It's kind of a pain to do and I'm not entirely sure if it's worth the trouble, but you do get some alternate routes to experience as well as a completely new level that you won't see if you don't make the effort. Overall I did enjoy my time with it again, but it's still far from my favorite in the linear Castlevania series. Too many flat backgrounds for a '95 release, uninteresting level structures, stiff movement and tedious moments make it a drag compared to other 'Vanias. But, I do still enjoy it. The soundtrack holds up particularly well.

86. Diablo (PC) - It's been a few years since I last finished this one, but I did a full playthrough on my YT stream last week. Considering the game is 22 years old as of this writing, I think it's held up quite well. Its action-RPG point 'n click gameplay still feels pretty good, its pre-rendered visuals still look solid (particularly when displayed on a CRT VGA monitor), and the sounds and music still make for a foreboding atmosphere. More importantly, the way it handles randomized dungeon layouts and quests is fantastic, making for a fresh experience even decades after its release. I ended up playing and capturing this from an old Pentium-based Windows '95 rig, but I wish Blizzard would do a modern port of this to allow it to be played on current operating systems. There is an aftermarket port available, but I stayed away from it due to how much is added (a lot of liberties were taken with it), and I wanted the original experience on my stream. It's a fantastic game that needs to be made available so old fans can play it easily on current systems, and so younger fans of the newer games can go back and see where the series began.

87. Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (PC Engine DUO) - The cream of the crop when it comes to the linear Castlevania series! Hard to beat Super Castlevania IV for a good, straightforward, atmospheric playthrough, but I can't deny Rondo's fluidity, excellent audio, top-notch visuals, and replay value with its splitting paths, hidden areas, alternate playable character, and boss 'Technics' unlockables. It's a super fun game that feels buttery smooth, and I highly recommend playing it any way you can (PS4 owners, that should be later this week!).

I haven't checked this thread in over a month it seems, so I missed this. I have thought about trying to nab the wizards from the other side of the moat, but decided to just stick with the other strategy (I figured if I missed or died, I'd have to reload anyway. It's a hell of a lot faster than waiting for your magic to charge back up!).

That's interesting about the marching soldiers. I have not seen that. I haven't seen the one about the footprints in the desert either. There's a walkthrough on GameFAQs that says if you hit three or more sandworms with one wave shot, something is supposed to happen, but I couldn't get it to work.

I actually kind of enjoy this game. It's tedious, but it's old (one of the first of its kind) and I can let it slide. I get into a bit of a "zen"-like state with these grindy RPGs, and I enjoy that. The cryptic nature makes it a drag to learn, but I guess that's what walkthroughs are for, right?

There's a level in Doom II that will sometimes crash the game (the PS version not on PC) because of too many enemies.

Room of Doom (Atari 2600)

This VCS game has an ending. The objective of this game is to eliminate all the gunmen in the 16 rooms of doom, avoiding enemy shots, monsters and obstacles.

You can select starting rooms (1, 3, 5 or 7) by setting the left and right difficulty switches.

There are many variations to choose in this CommaVid game, including speed, doors, diagonal enemy fires and player's stationary and repeat fires.

Edited by oyamafamily
  • Like 1

I moved my PS3 from the living room to my game room yesterday so I can start diving into my backlog of PS3 titles. Ran through one of them quickly yesterday (no pics):

Street Fighter X Tekken: PS3

I played through with Ken and Guile on Normal difficulty. I didn't really have much of a problem with it. The game itself is... uhh... interesting. It feels like there's lag between inputting commands and the characters pulling off the move. There's virtually zero lag with this TV, so I know it's the game. The art style is weird, and I don't like that you have to pay to unlock most of the unlockable characters. They DID, however, offer a free download that unlocks Pac Man and Mega Man. Pac Man rides a wooden mech, and Mega Man is a weird, tubby version of the "bad art" Mega Man from the 1st NES game! Bizarre to say the least.

mega-man-box-art-guy.jpg

• Like 2

88. Super Castlevania IV (SNES) - Can't remember if I added this to the list earlier, but I did multiple runs of this again on Halloween. It's generally a game I play many times a year, but it's sort of a Halloween tradition as well (assuming I'm off work on Halloween!). Always a great time for me. The gameplay is supremely satisfying for me with its high level of flexibility (and fluidity), and its slightly lower level of difficulty combined with the jazzy soundtrack makes for a relaxing experience.

89. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (Xbox 360) - Played through the XBOX 360 version of this last Thursday. It's a solid conversion although likely due to the size requirements of Live Arcade titles at the time (early 2007), the game lacks the FMV of the PS1 version. It still plays great and has the original voice acting, so all is well there. Played on my Xbox One X and it looks super crisp on a modern display.

90. Double Dragon (NES) - Found a new "strategy" for the randomized block section on Mission 4, the single part in the game that is a consistent run killer. I was able to practice it and managed a one-life-clear on the game. That aside, this is always fun to revisit. It doesn't require a ton of effort being it's not a super long game, and it's nice and straight forward. Great soundtrack, too.

91. Castlevania Adventure: Rebirth (Wii) - This is a loose remake of the first two Game Boy Castlevania titles. I say "loose" because it's mostly a new game, boss fights included. Some of the classic mechanics are there (such as the fireball whip), but even those have been altered (the fireball is now timed and limited). The game only features a handful of tunes from the original games and has a soundtrack heavily featuring music from other Castlevania games. Gameplay feels a little more stiff than other Castlevania games, and some of the platforming design feels a little clunky. Visually it's nice though, as is the music, and once you get into the groove of things (particularly on subsequent playthroughs after the first one), it's a fun game. It would be nice to see this be re-released on modern platforms.

88. Super Castlevania IV (SNES) - Can't remember if I added this to the list earlier, but I did multiple runs of this again on Halloween. It's generally a game I play many times a year, but it's sort of a Halloween tradition as well (assuming I'm off work on Halloween!). Always a great time for me. The gameplay is supremely satisfying for me with its high level of flexibility (and fluidity), and its slightly lower level of difficulty combined with the jazzy soundtrack makes for a relaxing experience.
89. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (Xbox 360) - Played through the XBOX 360 version of this last Thursday. It's a solid conversion although likely due to the size requirements of Live Arcade titles at the time (early 2007), the game lacks the FMV of the PS1 version. It still plays great and has the original voice acting, so all is well there. Played on my Xbox One X and it looks super crisp on a modern display.
90. Double Dragon (NES) - Found a new "strategy" for the randomized block section on Mission 4, the single part in the game that is a consistent run killer. I was able to practice it and managed a one-life-clear on the game. That aside, this is always fun to revisit. It doesn't require a ton of effort being it's not a super long game, and it's nice and straight forward. Great soundtrack, too.
91. Castlevania Adventure: Rebirth (Wii) - This is a loose remake of the first two Game Boy Castlevania titles. I say "loose" because it's mostly a new game, boss fights included. Some of the classic mechanics are there (such as the fireball whip), but even those have been altered (the fireball is now timed and limited). The game only features a handful of tunes from the original games and has a soundtrack heavily featuring music from other Castlevania games. Gameplay feels a little more stiff than other Castlevania games, and some of the platforming design feels a little clunky. Visually it's nice though, as is the music, and once you get into the groove of things (particularly on subsequent playthroughs after the first one), it's a fun game. It would be nice to see this be re-released on modern platforms.

Lately I've been playing Double Dragon 2 for a NintendoAge contest (low score/one life rules) and wow it's so much tougher than DD1. DD2 is technically much better in any respect, but DD1 might be a little more fun because it's less demanding.

Lately I've been playing Double Dragon 2 for a NintendoAge contest (low score/one life rules) and wow it's so much tougher than DD1. DD2 is technically much better in any respect, but DD1 might be a little more fun because it's less demanding.

Double Dragon 1 has a nice, brisk pace to it and flows really well in my eyes. The platforming is far less irritating and I think it's more enjoyable as a simple "pick up and play" kind of game. Double Dragon 2 has an... interesting difficulty, to say the least. You can master it without a lot of trouble, but there are some supremely irritating parts, most notably the platforming (which there is a lot of).

Ok so I havnt posted for a long time and havnt had a lot of time to play games because of work, but I have some down time and thought I would update my games beaten this year!

post-46128-0-75838900-1541693456_thumb.jpg

Mr.Bones on Sega Saturn

This game was all over the place. It starts out as mostly a platformer, but you will wind up playing some very unique levels including music levels, swimming and ice levels, and even a level where you have to tell jokes. I didnt take a screenshot of my TV for some reason, but here is a shot of my favorite level Hall of Pane where a giant skeleton bird smashes you through stained glass windows and you have to collect orbs to stay alive.

post-46128-0-81512000-1541693659_thumb.jpg

Alien Syndrome on NES.

This was a fairly easy game that has a top down perspective sort of like Gauntlet. Go through the level, save the people, find the exit, fight a boss, rinse and repeat. Beat it in one try and not sure if I would go back to it. Maybe on two players if someone else wanted to play.

post-46128-0-50696300-1541693782_thumb.jpg

Tiny Toons Busters Hidden Treasure on Sega Genesis

Nothing too special about this game. Wanted to play after beating the NES game. The later levels were slightly challenging, like the volcano levels, but there's an extra life in level 1 that takes only a second to get so you can always go back to stay alive. Standard platformer here.

post-46128-0-09137500-1541693966_thumb.jpg

The Walking Dead season 3 on ps4

No screenshot so here's a picture from my Instagram. This was probably one of the worst games yet by Telltale games. I'm really sad to see the company go, but I cant pretend this was a good game. It was hard to feel for these characters and to get interested in their stories. I only really cared for Clem and she wasnt even the main character. Maybe I'm just done with Walking Dead overall.

post-46128-0-85779200-1541694112_thumb.jpg

Pokemon Snap on n64 (I almost typed pokemon go)

This was my first time playing through this game since I was a kid so I'm including it. This was another easy game, but really fun and relaxing and a nice break from the platformers, fighters, and shmups I usually like to play. This game needs a sequel!

post-46128-0-08667600-1541694230_thumb.jpg

Joe and Mac SNES

I love the Joe and Mac series and this is no exception. Classic caveman ninja action here and it looks great on the snes. Honestly, there's a lot of the same stuff from the original game, but the ending with the devil guy was cool.

post-46128-0-07279300-1541694354_thumb.jpg

1942 on NES

Unfortunately I was really disappointed with this game. I had wanted to play it forever and finally got it for cheap at a flea market and was really excited to finally play. What I got was a game that was too long and repetitive and also very annoying. I had to turn the sound off because of the ping sound your bullets make and there's only one boss that you fight over and over. There are maybe 4 enemies with easy patterns to memorize. I beat this in one try and in the end all it says is congratulations really fast so I only got a screenshot of my high score.

post-46128-0-75415400-1541694535_thumb.jpg

Hyperzone on SNES

One of my coworkers gave me his old snes and games for free and this was one of them. I had never heard of it but it was a lot of fun! It's like star fox mixed with f zero. This also was not a hard game and I think I beat it in 2 or 3 tries. After level 4 I think you can use a charge blast that will carry you through the rest of the game. I recommend this one especially since it's cheap.

post-46128-0-17011000-1541694673_thumb.jpg

Legendary Wings on NES

This is a game from my childhood that I am really happy to have completed. I have been to the last boss several times and never beat him til recently. Theres not a whole lot to say other then it's a fun shmup that goes from verticle to horizontal and has a pretty standard power up system.

post-46128-0-49068900-1541695270_thumb.jpg

Virtua Fighter Kids on Sega STV

What a great game and addition to the arcade collection. I have always loved the virtua fighter series and this one is no exception. Its exactly virtua fighter 2 with different looking characters, but I dont care. I had a lot of fun beating this for my first time and will for sure be playing it often.

post-46128-0-48468500-1541695440_thumb.jpg

Trouble Shooter on Sega Genesis

This was a unique shmup by Vik Tokai where you control two characters. Your main character is the one who takes damage, and with the c button you can make your second character shoot behind you. I had a lot of fun with this game, but I dont think it was worth the price I paid. It was short, only 5 levels I think with the last level being a boss rush type thing. I want to recommend this, but dont pay the Ebay prices just wait for a deal.

post-46128-0-78121100-1541695667_thumb.jpg

Kirby Adventure on NES

This was my first time playing through this game and honestly I thought it was boring. I felt like I could take so much damage that I could just fly though the levels crashing into everything and i would still win. The last boss was a lot of fun and that was probably the only part where I died more then once. I only got 77% complete in the end but I dont feel like going for 100. Moving on.

post-46128-0-77831600-1541695799_thumb.jpg

King of Fighters 2000 on Neo Geo MVS

Another great addition to the mvs/ arcade collection. Before this the only kof game on mvs that I had was 94. While I love 94, this was by far the superior game. The roster is great, the controls are smooth, and for me it has a lot of classic gameplay mixed with some new things as well. That's all for now! I'm about to beat Zelda on nes for the first time so expect that soon!

post-46128-0-56018700-1541738779_thumb.jpg

Just beat the original Zelda for the first time! It's kind of weird because this is one of the first games I ever played growing up. I remembered enough and I also had the map so I was able to get through it pretty easily other then the last level. I kept getting lost, ran out of keys, and missed the blue arrows so I kept fighting Ganon and not killing him like a dummy. Really happy to finally have this one beat!

• Like 1

I beat the Legend of Zelda last Christmas... 100%

attachicon.gif20181108_195457.jpg
Just beat the original Zelda for the first time! It's kind of weird because this is one of the first games I ever played growing up. I remembered enough and I also had the map so I was able to get through it pretty easily other then the last level. I kept getting lost, ran out of keys, and missed the blue arrows so I kept fighting Ganon and not killing him like a dummy. Really happy to finally have this one beat!

Also 1942 is really bad on NES. It was programmed by Micronics. Just play 1943 on NES.

Edited by TravisHuckins
  • Like 2

I beat the Legend of Zelda last Christmas... 100%

Nice bro! I'm going to have to beat Zelda 2 now. And I will for sure play 1943.

Also 1942 is really bad on NES. It was programmed by Micronics. Just play 1943 on NES.

Micronics did a surprisingly competent job porting Twin Cobra though. It plays great. It might be the closest thing to Raiden on the NES.

• Like 1