IGNORED

Games Beaten In 2018!

Charlie Cat

Another one, sorta.

Moon Patrol (Arcade via MAME on Retropie):

hTzzzKJl.jpg

EMfeClrl.jpg

I was waiting for the wife to get ready before going out, and ran through one of my all time favorites and the very 1st arcade game I ever played all those years ago. Right when the Champion's Course started, I had to shut it off, boo!!! One of these days, I'll run through that too!

• Like 1

Stay Frosty 2: Stay Frostier (Atari 2600 VCS)

This is an excellent game to celebrate Christmas. The main objective of this game is to kill fire enemies, defeat the Firebosses and rescue 4 characters, who have been kidnapped by pesky fireballs. The 4 characters are Christmas Elf, Santa's Reindeer, Mrs. Claus and Santa Claus.

But this game is not easy to complete: it requires MUCH MORE practice, concentration, coordination and a lot of strategy to clear all 128 levels and collect all the presents for extra points. There are 32 different layouts which repeat 4 times, but it will be getting hotter.

Collecting all the presents on the entire course of 32 levels (including Bonus Levels with 12 units in each Present Room) results on earning the 10,000-point special bonus.

During the gameplay there are magical (and some bad) items to collect, including presents, carrots, brooms, ice chests and snowflakes, and obstacles which result on losing a life immediately (regardless of Snowman's health).

The Gas Can (which restores all the fire enemies) must be collected quickly in the levels 9, 16, 26, 31, 41, 48, 58, 63, 73, 80, 90, 95, 105, 112, 122 and 127.

More experienced players like McCallister can complete this exciting Christmas game.

• Like 1

A small correction in 2600 Stay Frosty 2 Full Version:

The character rescued at the completion of Level 96 is Holly from Elf Dash. Mrs. Claus appears at the completion of 7 levels in the Demo Version of Stay Frosty 2.

I also beat Stay Frosty 2 Demo Version (Atari 2600 VCS) under Fastest Completions. This version has 7 levels to complete, and it takes 3 to 5 minutes (average time) to save Mrs. Claus.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!!

Edited by oyamafamily

Not sure if this counts, but whatever... :P

Diablo III (PS3):

(no pics, sorry :()

Last Saturday afternoon, I found myself grinding away on a Diablo III playthrough on my copy of the Ultimate Evil Edition while setting up a Retropie, and the next thing I know, it's 2:30 AM and I just kicked the crap out of Diablo himself. That stupid game is like video crack. :lol: I haven't played a game into the wee hours in a L O N G time. Started the Reaper of Souls campaign and I'm already hooked again.

Conquest of the Crystal Palace (NES)

I just completed this for the first time tonight. This is a fun but tough game.

The first three stages are easy enough, especially if you choose the orb that lets you keep the fireball. Stage 4 (the bullshit lava, platforms and fire stage) is where you're probably going to keep dying if enemies don't randomly drop enough invincibility powerups. This game has horrible knock back. Practically any contact from enemies will send you flying .Thankfully not all pits will kill you. Some just take you back to a checkpoint.

And then the final stage... Oh god. It's a dreary maze similar to the castles in SMB. Fortunately the path is simple once you know it. I recommend avoiding the pain and consulting a guide. Then the challenge is defeating the two final bosses. The first form is one of those annoying enemies that you have to fight while continually hopping on small platforms. Meanwhile he can knock you off with his attacks and destroy the platforms. Thankfully I learned a method to quick kill him from watching a speedrun or I'd probably still be trying to beat him. The second form you have to hit when he opens his mouth and spits three fireballs at you. Meanwhile a bunch of junk falls from the ceiling that you must avoid. He's got a pretty basic pattern so he's not too bad once you know how to avoid the fireballs. If you die to the second form then you have to fight both all over again.

I'm glad that I got this one out of the way. I did credit feed my way to victory so I would like to 1CC at some point. I can beat the first three stages without dying or at least without a game over. Stage 4 is where I'll start burning lots of continues.

There's also some replay value in that which orb you pick at the beginning greatly impacts the game. If you pick the spirit orb then you get a permanent fireball attack but not a full life bar. You'll need to buy life extensions at the shop. The other two orbs will either give you a full life bar or a higher jump, but then you're stuck with just the sword unless you buy temporary weapons from the shop or collect weapon drops from enemies.

One of the game's main gimmicks is that you have a dog that you can sic on enemies. I almost never bother to use him.

Gotta post my last post here before moving on to 2019! Not too many more games beaten since last time. Someone had recommended Twin Cobra so I bought that and beat it. It is now my favorite NES shmup!

post-46128-0-90275100-1546375793_thumb.jpg

Next was Va11 Ha11a on Vita. Not really a game that you play, its more like a game that you read and mix drinks along the way. I had a lot of fun getting to know the characters in the bar though and wouldn't mind playing through it again. Great game!

post-46128-0-43009500-1546375889_thumb.jpg

And finally I beat Fast Striker by ng dev team on Vita on orginal mode. I have beaten this before on dreamcast, but not on Vita. Working on maniac mode now.

post-46128-0-27162600-1546375963_thumb.jpg

That's all. Happy new year everyone! (Sorry if that last picture is upside down!)

• Like 1

Gotta post my last post here before moving on to 2019! Not too many more games beaten since last time. Someone had recommended Twin Cobra so I bought that and beat it. It is now my favorite NES shmup!

attachicon.gifScreenshot_20190101-124637_Instagram.jpg

Twin Cobra is probably the best Micronics port on the system. They also ported Ikari Warriors, Ghosts n Goblins and Athena.

• Like 2

Time for my final update of 2018! I watched the credits roll on my last game of the year, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D Master Quest on the 3DS, at 11:57 PM on December 31st. I haven't updated my list of games beaten since October though, so here's a year end wrap up of the games I've beaten since then:

74. Growl (Sega Genesis)
Growl ended up being a fun way to pass an hour or so, but didn't leave much of an impression on me past that. It's a pretty straightforward and not overly difficult single player beat 'em up that has you playing as an Indiana Jones look alike who goes around kicking poachers' butts with the help of a variety of african wildlife and the occasional M202 rocket launcher. Not a bad game by any means, but I wouldn't pay the $45 that a loose cartridge copy of it commands these days.

75. Castlevania: Bloodlines (Sega Genesis)
This game on the other hand was well worth the $50 or so that I paid for it! I ended up playing through and beating it with both characters on Easy and Normal difficulty, and after 4 play throughs I can safely say that Castlevania: Bloodlines has become my second favorite game in the entire Castlevania series; just behind Symphony of the Night at #1. The developers just got everything about this game right, with gorgeous graphics that push the Sega Genesis's processing capabilities to their limit, awesome music, and fantastic gameplay that spans 6 large stages with different routes for each of the two playable characters to traverse. It was a pretty tough game, but never unfairly so and the password saves after each stage made it easy to practice and restart stages without being overly punished for failure. All in all it's just a phenomenal game, and a major highlight of my game pickups from this past year.

76. Sonic 3D Blast (Sega Genesis)
Everyone's got a game or two that most people don't care for but they love because they played it all the time growing up, and for me Sonic 3D Blast is one of those games. I had all the Sonic games for the Genesis as a kid and loved all of them, 3D Blast included. It may not be quite as good as the classic 2D Sonic titles, but it still never ceases to amaze me what a good job Traveler's Tales did capturing all the elements that make Sonic games fun in the series very first foray into 3D; and on a 16-bit console no less. It's got beautiful bright and colorful graphics, a great sense of speed and flow once you get a feel for the controls, excellent music, and some neat new gameplay mechanics to boot. All it in all I think Sonic 3D Blast is just a really fun and well thought out gaming experience, even if it is radically different from every other game in the series.

77. Golden Axe II (Sega Genesis)
This sequel to the time honored classic Golden Axe is another one of my favorite Genesis games. It fixes a lot of the issues I had with the original Golden Axe by lowering the difficulty level slightly to make it more manageable to beat without the need for a friend helping you out, allows you to pick up enemies and throw them behind you to keep from getting ganged up on too much, and the variable magic usage system is very cool as well. The only complaint I could really make about Golden Axe II is that the ridable dragons in the original Golden Axe were way cooler than the odd little bird creatures you occasionally get to ride in Golden Axe II, but other than that I feel like this game does everything right.

78. Metroid: Other M (Nintendo Wii)
This game was a bit of a surprise for me, since I wasn't expecting much going into it. The game was dirt cheap, $5 complete in box, but it was a Metroid game and for the price I couldn't resist giving it a try. I did a complete play through of the game from beginning to end (including the extra story bits after the credits) and while it did have it's moments of frustration I thought it was a great game with a surprisingly engaging narrative that kept me glued to the TV for most of a week just to see what would happen next. My only real complaints about the game were that the difficulty level was much higher than other games in the Metroid series and I found myself dying dozens of times over, whereas I usually only die once or twice during a play through of any other Metroid game, and the game was often rather cryptic about what it expected you to do; particularly during boss fights. Still, it was a very enjoyable game and I hope that the upcoming Metroid Prime 4 follows in Other M's footsteps by giving Samus a voice once more.

79. Primal Rage (Sega Genesis)
It seems like there's a good number of games that most people don't care for but I like on the list this time around, and Primal Rage is no exception. I loved it in the arcades and I played this game nearly every day for a good year or so right after it came out on the Genesis back in 1995, and I still love it to this day. It also gives me rare occasion to break out my 6-button Sega Genesis arcade stick, since there's not really any other controller that game can be effectively played with due to the need to hold down all sorts of odd button combinations to perform special moves.

80. Zero Tolerance (Sega Genesis)
As the only first-person shooter on the system and not using any special chips in the cartridge to aid in processing it's a seriously impressive technical achievement, and a heck of a lot of fun for fans of the genre. Zero Tolerance is also quite a long, 10 or 12 hours give or take, and having now beaten the game I can safely say that I will absolutely be playing through it again someday. It was just an all around great game with a lot of design elements (night vision goggles, motion trackers, limited inventory space, etc.) that were really before their time.

81. The Castlevania Adventure (Game Boy)
Absurdly difficult yet strangely likable, I have a love/hate relationship with The Castlevania Adventure. I know that every time I sit down to play this game I'm going to end up spending hours playing Stage 4 over and over and over until my left thumb feels like it's going to fall off and I'm yelling obscenities at my Game Boy, and yet I still go back and play through it once a year almost every year. In some ways I really like this game, since it is Castlevania and it's on one of my all time favorite systems, I just wish it wasn't so punishingly (and often unfairly) difficult.

82. Golden Axe (Sega Genesis)
This year marks the first time I've ever beaten Golden Axe single player! It took a whole lot of time and practice to learn the best techniques to take on every enemy and exactly where to stand at certain points to get in hits without being hit back, but gosh darn it I did it! I've always loved Golden Axe, and I'm sure happy to have finally beaten it. :D

83. Dino Strike (Nintendo Wii)
Dino Strike on the Wii was a game which I had been wanting to get my hands on for many years, and I ended up getting it for Christmas this year. I knew it was a well regarded light gun shooter that it was rare and commands a rather steep price, but what I didn't know was that it's actually not all that great of a game and only takes about an hour to beat. It wasn't a bad game, just a very "by the numbers" light gun shooter without much in the way of surprises and a goofy control layout that requires you to press A to reload rather than flicking the Wii remote or nunchuck upwards like you would with most light gun games on the Wii. Again, not a bad game, just not a particularly good one. I was happy to have finally gotten the chance to play it, but don't think this game will be staying in my collection for long.

84. Tanglewood (Sega Genesis)
On the other hand (or paw as the case may be), Tanglewood for the Sega Genesis was a shockingly good game! I ordered a copy of this new homebrew game for the misses for Christmas but it ended up being a Christmas present for both of us, since we played through it together twice over the course of the week trading off the controller between levels. I could go on for pages about what an absolutely incredible game Tanglewood is, from the gorgeous graphics to the perfectly atmospheric sound design, challenging puzzle platforming that very much reminded me of Limbo, and the startlingly emotionally engaging story that ends up going some pretty dark places that make this game completely unsuitable for young children. Everything about Tanglewood was an incredible surprise, and I can safely say that after two play throughs it is my new all time favorite Sega Genesis game! It made the #2 spot on my wife's favorite Genesis game list as well, just behind Sonic 3 & Knuckles in the #1 position for her. There's not many video games that I could honestly say are worth the $85 US that Tanglewood set me back, but this is definitely one of them. It's an absolute "must own" game for any Sega Genesis fan!

85. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D Master Quest (Nintendo 3DS)
I spent months working on playing through this game off and on and was hoping to finish it by the end of the year, and I just barely managed to pull it off after spending much of December 31st marathoning my way through the final dungeon and Ganon's castle. To finish the game in time I actually had to keep playing over dinner, with a slice of pizza in one hand and my 3DS in the other, but it paid off because at 11:57 PM on New Years Eve I beat the final boss and watched the credits roll. Whew! I don't think I could have cut it much closer than that! I had never played Ocarina of Time's Master Quest before this year but it definitely added a lot of replay value to the game, with a reversed world map, a lot tougher enemies populating the dungeons, and some new (and often seriously cryptic) puzzles to solve. I didn't like it quite as much as the regular game, but it was fun to play through and felt like a nice added value for those who have already thoroughly conquered the original Ocarina of Time and are looking for a good reason to delve back into the land of Hyrule once more.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D Master Quest brings my final total of games beaten for this year to 85, which is 14 games more than the 71 I beat in 2017 and a new all time record for the most games I've ever beaten in one year! I don't know whether or not I'll be able to complete that many next year, but I do plan to spend a lot more time focusing on playing Sega Genesis and Game Boy games in 2019 so it's certainly possible; since most games on those systems aren't terribly lengthy. To wrap things up for this year, my wife also kept a personal list of the games she beat over the course of the year (she beat 36 games this year, which was just 2 games shy of her all time record of 38 games from 2016) and you can find both of our complete lists of games beaten in 2018 in the spoiler tag below:

Jin's Games Beaten in 2017
1. Tower Toppler (Atari 7800)
2. Pokémon Ultra Sun (Nintendo 3DS)
3. Mortal Kombat (Sega Genesis)
4. Sonic CD (Sega CD)
5. Mortal Kombat (Sega CD)
6. Virtua Fighter (Sega 32X)
7. Doom (Sega 32X)
8. Virtua Racing (Sega 32X)
9. 3D Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Nintendo 3DS)
10. Samurai Shodown (Sega Genesis)
11. Yie Ar Kung-Fu (Game Boy Color)
12. Attack of the Killer Tomatoes (Game Boy)
13. Chikyū Kaihō Gun ZAS (Game Boy)
14. Taiyou no Yuusha: Fighbird GB (English Fan Translation) (Game Boy)
15. Tails Adventure (Game Gear)
16. Sonic 3 & Knuckles (Sega Genesis)
17. Sonic the Hedgehog Spinball (Game Gear)
18. Sonic the Hedgehog: Triple Trouble (Game Gear)
19. JagDoom 32X (Sega 32X)
20. Ristar (Sega Genesis)
21. Solar Striker (Game Boy)
22. Tomb Raider: Anniversary (Nintendo Wii)
23. The House of the Dead: Overkill (Nintendo Wii)
24. StreetPass Mii Plaza: Find Mii (Nintendo 3DS)
25. Resident Evil: Revelations (Nintendo 3DS)
26. Adventure (Atari 2600)
27. DOOM (Xbox One)
28. Mortal Kombat II (Sega 32X)
29. Super Lucky's Tale (Xbox One)
30. Breakout (Atari 2600)
31. Dead Space (Xbox 360)
32. Alien: Isolation (Xbox One)
33. Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)
34. Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles (Nintendo Wii)
35. Pole Position (Atari 2600)
36. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (Nintendo 3DS)
37. Star Fox 64 3D (Nintendo 3DS)
38. Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles (Nintendo Wii)
39. Arcade Hits Pack: Gunblade NY: Special Air Assault Force & L.A. Machineguns: Rage of the Machines (Nintendo Wii)
40. Metroid Prime 2: Echoes on Metroid Prime Trilogy (Nintendo Wii)
41. Sega Bass Fishing (Nintendo Wii)
42. Streets of Rage (Sega Master System)
43. Mortal Kombat (Sega Master System)
44. Mortal Kombat II (Sega Master System)
45. Mortal Kombat II (Game Boy)
46. Super R.C. Pro-Am (Game Boy)
47. Alien vs. Predator: The Last of His Clan (Game Boy)
48. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption on Metroid Prime Trilogy (Nintendo Wii)
49. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Game Boy)
50. Scooby-Doo! Classic Creep Capers (Game Boy Color)
51. Alien 3 (Game Boy)
52. Silent Hill: Shattered Memories (Nintendo Wii)
53. Woody Woodpecker (Game Boy Color)
54. Project S-11 (Game Boy Color)
55. Rampage: Total Destruction (GameCube)
56. Alien Hominid (GameCube)
57. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (Nintendo 3DS)
58. Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
59. Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (NES)
60. Link's Crossbow Training (Nintendo Wii)
61. WordJong Party (Nintendo Wii)
62. Wii Play (Nintendo Wii)
63. Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition (Nintendo Wii)
64. Dead Space: Extraction (Nintendo Wii)
65. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Sega Genesis)
66. StreetPass Mii Plaza: Find Mii II (Nintendo 3DS)
67. StreetPass Mii Plaza: Slot Car Rivals (Nintendo 3DS)
68. Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (Nintendo 3DS)
69. Cabela's Survival: Shadows of Katmai (Nintendo Wii)
70. SimAnimals (Nintendo Wii)
71. Deadly Creatures (Nintendo Wii)
72. Nightmare Creatures (PlayStation)
73. Sonic the Hedgehog (Sega Genesis)
74. Growl (Sega Genesis)
75. Castlevania: Bloodlines (Sega Genesis)
76. Sonic 3D Blast (Sega Genesis)
77. Golden Axe II (Sega Genesis)
78. Metroid: Other M (Nintendo Wii)
79. Primal Rage (Sega Genesis)
80. Zero Tolerance (Sega Genesis)
81. The Castlevania Adventure (Game Boy)
82. Golden Axe (Sega Genesis)
83. Dino Strike (Nintendo Wii)
84. Tanglewood (Sega Genesis)
85. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D Master Quest (Nintendo 3DS)

Mrs. Jin's Games Beaten In 2017
1. Sonic Colors (Nintendo Wii)
2. Mortal Kombat (Sega Genesis)
3. Sonic CD (Sega CD)
4. Resident Evil Archives: Resident Evil (Nintendo Wii)
5. Ecco the Dolphin (Sega CD)
6. Ecco: The Tides of Time (Sega CD)
7. Sonic the Hedgehog (Sega Genesis)
8. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Sega Genesis)
9. Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (Sega Genesis)
10. Sonic & Knuckles (Sega Genesis)
11. Sonic 3D Blast (Sega Genesis)
12. Sonic 3 & Knuckles (Sega Genesis)
13. Doom (PlayStation)
14. Adventure (Atari 2600)
15. Kirby's Dream Land (Game Boy)
16. Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)
17. Pole Position (Atari 2600)
18. Arcade Hits Pack: Gunblade NY: Special Air Assault Force & L.A. Machineguns: Rage of the Machines (Nintendo Wii)
19. Star Fox Adventures (Nintendo GameCube)
20. Klonoa (Nintendo Wii)
21. Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo Wii)
22. RoboCop Versus The Terminator (Sega Master System)
23. Punky Skunk (PlayStation)
24. Parasite Eve (PlayStation)
25. Castlevania: Chronicles (PlayStation)
26. Ecco the Dolphin (Sega Genesis)
27. Clock Tower (PlayStation)
28. Alien Trilogy (PlayStation)
29. Alien Resurrection (PlayStation)
30. Streets of Rage (Sega Genesis)
31. Resident Evil 2 (PlayStation)
32. Golden Axe II (Sega Genesis)
33. Castlevania: Bloodlines (Sega Genesis)
34. The Revenge of Shinobi (Sega Genesis)
35. Tomb Raider (PlayStation)
36. Tanglewood (Sega Genesis)

Best wishes and Happy New Year everyone! :D

Edited by Jin
  • Like 5

I probably had 10 to 15 since my last post but I seriously don't feel like writing them all down or adding descriptions.. I'm lazy and that's too much work right now. It is interesting to look back on though and it makes me wonder how many I had completed in prior years.

Edited by Austin
  • Like 1