IGNORED

Games Beaten In 2018!

Charlie Cat

50. Scooby-Doo! Classic Creep Capers (Game Boy Color)

This was my first time playing through Scooby-Doo! Classic Creep Capers, and while I normally use a regular old Game Boy Color for playing GBC games this game just looked so beautifully animated that I decided to pop it in the GameCube's Game Boy Player and play it on the big screen to really appreciate all the graphical detail that went into it. I also didn't want to miss any clues that might be hiding in the backgrounds, seeing as how this is a point and click type adventure game. It is a rather short game and only took me three and a half hours or so to complete, but it was without a doubt the best Scooby-Doo video game that I've ever had the pleasure of playing. The characters looked great, the writing was pretty funny, and the whole setting and story really felt like a classic Scooby-Doo cartoon episode come to life. I also liked how the puzzles, while fairly challenging, were never too cryptic or convoluted to solve on your own if you spent a few minutes thinking about them. I never got stuck or had to use a guide at all, which is pretty rare for me when it comes to point and click adventure games. The only thing I could really criticize about the game was the music, which was often a little lackluster aside from a lovely chiptune rendition of the classic Scooby-Doo theme that plays during the opening and the credits. All in all I had a ton of fun with this game and would highly recommend it to any Scooby-Doo fan with a Game Boy Color compatible system. :)

Syve0Wl.jpg

fVEiCOM.jpg

• Like 1

Finished The Alliance Alive on 3DS. Really good JRPG overall, I had a lot of fun with it; good story, interesting characters, good fighting system, many things to customize, nice 3D world map to explore (like the Final Fantasy on PS1) and plenty of side dungeons. On the negative side, its short (beaten in 35hrs with all the side dungeons completed) and its quite easy, just few bosses were hard.

I recommend to anyone that need their old school JRPG fix, and it come in a nice collector package with key chain, soundtrack and art book. Must be one of the last JRPG for the dying 3DS.

Im giving it a 8/10

#7 Streets of Rage - Genesis

Not a bad game. I played SoR 2 before I played the original, and so I've always had an issue with wasting my special since they're so prevalent in the sequel. And the game gets pretty brutally hard towards the end. It was worth it, though. Took me a few tries over the last week but today was finally the day. Mr. X sitting in the background waving in his cronies is a great piece of detail. I almost had him down and I was down to the last life on the last continue, but I survived. Lots of jump kicks. LOL

Pour the lead! Pour the lead! Pour it!

51. Alien 3 (Game Boy)

SMty6yB.jpg

BK6pvsd.jpg

1k8K2Er.jpg

As a kid this was my #1 favorite Game Boy game, and the game that started off a lifelong love of horror video games. Would you believe that there was actually a survival horror game on the Game Boy, years before Resident Evil came along and coined a term for the genre? Even crazier still, would you believe that it was made by LJN but was actually a really good game? You better believe it, because it's Alien 3 for the Game Boy! :D

This version of Alien 3 is completely different from every other version of Alien 3 on the SNES, Genesis, Master System, etc. in that it ditches the side scrolling action platforming style of the other games and is instead a top-down perspective game with all the hallmarks of a survival horror game. Claustrophobic environments with keys to find and puzzles to solve, limited health and ammunition, deadly traps that will be your end if you don't solve puzzles correctly, and of course some seriously threatening enemies that will have you running away more often than standing and fighting if you want to stay alive.

It's a game that makes you feel just as vulnerable as any of the great survival horror titles, and one that I'd highly recommend to any fan of the genre. If you love horror games and you own a Game Boy compatible system then you can't go wrong with Alien 3. Just be sure to either find a copy that comes with the manual or download a PDF version of the manual online, because you will need it. :)

Edited by Jin

52. Ultraman: Towards the Future (SNES) - Not exactly a "great" game, but I have a soft spot for it having grown up with the game. I think the visuals and audio hold up well, but the big issue with the game is the lackluster gameplay. Moves are limited and they come out extremely slow, making the player rely on the jump kick for most of the game. It's still moderately enjoyable for me to go through, but I'll admit it's a tough recommendation for new players.

53. Hyperzone (SNES) - When people say F-Zero is a tech demo, I wonder to myself what they would say about Hyperzone.. In all seriousness though, this is an on-rails shooter and it admittedly does look pretty good. Where with F-Zero have refined, satisfying gameplay, Hyperzone isn't as refined and is moderately enjoyable at best. Movement is relatively slow, attack variety is small (you have a standard shot and a charge shot, that's it, no power-ups or optional pickups), enemies are basic/mundane inanimate objects, and the tracks you fly along don't give much room for intricate dodging (go outside the tracks and you start taking damage, so you need to stay within them). I did enjoy the game and ended up going through it multiple times, but as someone who likes a challenge, I was disappointed to find that the subsequent loops the game throws you into are not any more difficult than what you get on the initial first loop. That seems like a missed opportunity to me.

54. Axelay (SNES) - I've never been the biggest fan of this one with its wonky top-down stages, but I do enjoy the side scrolling ones. Ended up running through it for the first time in about three years, and being out of practice I got wrecked pretty hard (think I had to continue twice). It's a moderate challenge on the default difficulty that really requires you to know the stages and to utilize specific weapons at specific moments in order to give yourself more of a chance.

• Like 1

35. Army Men: Air Combat (N64)

This helicopter mission game is inoffensive but short, silly, and easy, and I don't like the viewing angle -- it's fixed too high and keeps you from seeing as far ahead as you might like -- or the controls. D+.

36. Toto World 3 (Master System)

I "beat" this odd Korean platformer ages ago with savestates, and sat down a few days ago to beat it properly, which I did. But credit-feeding my way through it felt weird, since it's mostly easy with just a couple of (extremely frustrating) bottlenecks, so I sat down to do a 1CC today and pulled it off on my second try.

As Master System platformers go it's really not bad, with decent controls and stage design, attractive (and IP-infringing) graphics -- and completely bugged-out music that sounds like the loops in each channel weren't synchronized properly. Oops! C.

37. Super Tennis (Master System)

Beat this today on what was basically my first attempt, 0-6 6-3 6-0, learning as I went (as the scoreline demonstrates). I defeated the strongest opponent (Level 5), unwittingly using what I believe is the hardest control level (option A), along with a defensive-style player (option C) and a medium speed (option B). Not 100% sure about the control level or style, but I think I got those right -- what can I say, I didn't look at the manual until afterward.

Anyway, it's an unabashed ripoff of NES black box Tennis, with sound effects, play control, and presentation that are almost identical in many respects. But it's more forgiving in some ways (fewer out balls, more CPU errors), and jankier in others (no true overhead smashes) -- though if I had to decide which of the two I'd rather play again, it'd be this game. D+.

BTW I believe that marks my 700th victory over a game, though there are still around ~100 older games on my list that I need to revisit, thanks to using cheat codes, savestates, etc. when I originally beat them. Still, a nice milestone, and I'm glad it's a tennis game, since I'm getting closer and closer to my goal of beating every tennis game released for a console or handheld in the US (or elsewhere too, but especially the US).

52. Silent Hill: Shattered Memories (Nintendo Wii)

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories may be the most difficult game to review that I've ever played through. On one hand it's an incredibly ambitious game that tries something no other game has ever tried before, and it succeeds remarkably in what it tries to do, but on the other hand the gameplay is boring as dirt. What makes Silent Hill: Shattered Memories so unique is that the game is constantly paying attention to everything you do, from the things you look at and how long you spend looking at them to the way you interact with characters and answer questions. It then takes the information it gathers as you play and uses it to create a psychological profile of the real life you, and changes the story, locations you visit, and enemies you encounter all to create a horror story just for you; filled with all the things that you personally will find the most disturbing.

And in that it succeeds. At the end of the game I was presented with the psychological profile the game formulated of me and I have to say that it was more in depth and uncomfortably accurate than I could have ever imagined. In just 6 hours or so this game dug deeper into my psyche and dredged up more unpleasant memories than my therapist has been able to do in 6 years. All my big fears, shame, and decades worth of remorse that I keep so well hidden; this game clawed it's way into my head and found them.

Where the game falters though is in the gameplay. It's essentially just a walking simulator with a few simple "find the key" puzzles scattered here and there. From time to time you will find yourself having to run away from enemies, as you never get even a single weapon through the entire game and your only option when some horrific creature shows up is to run for your life. Unfortunately you quickly learn that enemies only appear when the environment becomes iced over and the rest of the time you're completely safe, so no matter how unsettling the locations you visit become you know that you've got nothing to worry about as long as there's no ice.

It's a shame really, because the story is phenomenal and the psychological profiling aspect of the game that changes the story to cater to your own personal faults and fears works so darn well, but the gameplay is just plain boring. If a really good horror story designed just for you sounds fun then by all means give this game a try, just go into it knowing that it's not going to be much more than an interactive movie with a few simple puzzles here and there.

53. Woody Woodpecker (Game Boy Color)

I don't own a physical cartridge of this game, but given how much I loved Woody Woodpecker Racing on the GBC and my fondness for the Woody Woodpecker cartoon series growing up I thought I'd give this game a try via emulation on the Wii. It ended up being a mixed bag, in that it wasn't really a bad game but I'm not sure it was a good game either. There's great sprite work and the levels and characters are all beautifully detailed, and I really liked the little minigames that add variety between platforming levels, but the overall experience is a hampered by floaty controls, input lag when attacking, and poor enemy placement that often forces you to take damage in order to proceed. On the flip side, it's a pretty darn long game with probably a couple dozen challenging maze-like platforming levels, three boss fights, password saves between levels, a cute story, and a charming homage to Super Mario Land at the end.

If you like the Woody Woodpecker cartoon then you'll probably get a good bit of enjoyment out of this game, but for those who aren't fans of Woody and company there are better platformers out there for the Game Boy Color.

54. Project S-11 (Game Boy Color)

My favorite shoot 'em up on the Game Boy Color and just an all around great game! I try to play through Project S-11 at least once a year and it's always a joy to play. Beautifully detailed 8-bit graphics, awesome music, a diverse and interesting assortment of levels and bosses, and a power-up system that lets you choose from a wide variety of weapons and upgrade them to your liking. There's really nothing bad I could say about this game! Project S-11 is one of those rare 10 out of 10's for me.

Played through all remaining Life is Strange extra stuff:

• Before the Storm: Brilliant, but short. Must have for everyone who liked the main game.
  • Bonus Episode: Very emotional extra hour, almost made me cry.
  • Captain Spirit: Hm... kinda nice, kinda boring... If Life is Strange 2 means playing a kid for 5 episodes, I think I'll skip it...

I beat my first NES game last night. It was Batman Return of the Joker. What originally wanted me to the play the game was to experience the impressive graphics but I really got into it and had a blast. I'll definitely be revisiting this one again in the future.

Also beat Star Fox 2 last night. Every time I play it I'm super impressed. They added so much more to the original. Argonaut must have really pushed the system to the max. To increase the framerate and add in an impressive amount of texture mapping is quite the feat.

• Like 1

I beat my first NES game last night. It was Batman Return of the Joker. What originally wanted me to the play the game was to experience the impressive graphics but I really got into it and had a blast. I'll definitely be revisiting this one again in the future.

Also beat Star Fox 2 last night. Every time I play it I'm super impressed. They added so much more to the original. Argonaut must have really pushed the system to the max. To increase the framerate and add in an impressive amount of texture mapping is quite the feat.

I haven't played Return of the Joker yet, but I'm a fan of the original NES Batman by Sunsoft. You might want to check that one out. It's a really short game so you shouldn't have too much trouble. The Joker fight is pretty damn hard though.

I haven't played Return of the Joker yet, but I'm a fan of the original NES Batman by Sunsoft. You might want to check that one out. It's a really short game so you shouldn't have too much trouble. The Joker fight is pretty damn hard though.

Thanks for the recommendation. I got to level 3 and those jumping bastards pissed me off enough to shut it off. I'll definitely play it more. Wish it has passwords.

Thanks for the recommendation. I got to level 3 and those jumping bastards pissed me off enough to shut it off. I'll definitely play it more. Wish it has passwords.

Those jumping guys are easy. Just take it slow, switch to gun, and shoot them from a distance. They'll probably never get the chance to touch you. Or you can quickly take them out with boomerangs.

• Like 1

55. Shooter: Space Shot (PS1) - Budget shmup release that I dismissed back when it was new. I dedicated some time to it recently and ended up doing several runs. I warmed up to it quite a bit. The visuals and sound package are lackluster, but the gameplay system is interesting when you figure it out (boosting into enemies for big points, for instance).

56. Batman (NES) - Spent some time re-learning this one. I finally figured out the final bosses and as a result am now able to get through the game so much more consistently. It's a lot more satisfying as a result now. Great game. Music and visuals still hold up phenomenally.

57. Super C (NES) - Obligatory "once or twice a year" runs. This one goes hand-in-hand with the original NES game and I really have to think which I like better. I appreciate the top-down stages in this one, the addition of hills, and more vertically scrolling sections. Fantastic visuals and music as well. Great game overall.

58. Abadox (NES) - About as close as you'll get to a "R-Type" on the NES. Its checkpoint system and memorization-based gameplay along with an organic theme really makes it feel like a R-Type game. The last stage in particular still catches me off-guard and really requires memorization for me to get through it. Another good game overall, easily one of my favorite shooters on the system.

59. Sunlust (PC) - Another full 32 map DOOM II WAD (i.e., mapset/expansion). This one is insanely brutal played on the Ultra Violence setting, but I managed to finally work my way through the whole thing. It would hardly be the first WAD I recommend to newcomers, but it is expertly crafted with some insane architecture and well thought out fights. I'm currently working on a second playthrough after completing it once and things are going much smoother, but it's still brutal.

Those jumping guys are easy. Just take it slow, switch to gun, and shoot them from a distance. They'll probably never get the chance to touch you. Or you can quickly take them out with boomerangs.

Yep. Scroll the screen over just enough to where you can barely see them, then switch to the gun and time your shots. Five hits and they are dead. You can handle every single one of them this way (both on Stage 3 and Stage 4). There's no timer in Batman, so take it slow, scroll the screen bit by bit if you are unsure of what's coming up next.

55. Shooter: Space Shot (PS1) - Budget shmup release that I dismissed back when it was new. I dedicated some time to it recently and ended up doing several runs. I warmed up to it quite a bit. The visuals and sound package are lackluster, but the gameplay system is interesting when you figure it out (boosting into enemies for big points, for instance).

56. Batman (NES) - Spent some time re-learning this one. I finally figured out the final bosses and as a result am now able to get through the game so much more consistently. It's a lot more satisfying as a result now. Great game. Music and visuals still hold up phenomenally.

57. Super C (NES) - Obligatory "once or twice a year" runs. This one goes hand-in-hand with the original NES game and I really have to think which I like better. I appreciate the top-down stages in this one, the addition of hills, and more vertically scrolling sections. Fantastic visuals and music as well. Great game overall.

58. Abadox (NES) - About as close as you'll get to a "R-Type" on the NES. Its checkpoint system and memorization-based gameplay along with an organic theme really makes it feel like a R-Type game. The last stage in particular still catches me off-guard and really requires memorization for me to get through it. Another good game overall, easily one of my favorite shooters on the system.

59. Sunlust (PC) - Another full 32 map DOOM II WAD (i.e., mapset/expansion). This one is insanely brutal played on the Ultra Violence setting, but I managed to finally work my way through the whole thing. It would hardly be the first WAD I recommend to newcomers, but it is expertly crafted with some insane architecture and well thought out fights. I'm currently working on a second playthrough after completing it once and things are going much smoother, but it's still brutal.

Yep. Scroll the screen over just enough to where you can barely see them, then switch to the gun and time your shots. Five hits and they are dead. You can handle every single one of them this way (both on Stage 3 and Stage 4). There's no timer in Batman, so take it slow, scroll the screen bit by bit if you are unsure of what's coming up next.

Another Batman tip for beginners is learn to farm. You only get three lives. Maintaining health/ammo is crucial if you don't want to die.

I can usually get to the Joker without dying. But I can't beat him consistently enough. There's always a good chance that I'll lose lives or game over. He's still hard even when you know what to do, at least for me.

Edited by mbd30
  • Like 1

Another Batman tip for beginners is learn to farm. You only get three lives. Maintaining health/ammo is crucial if you don't want to die.

I can usually get to the Joker without dying. But I can't beat him consistently enough. There's always a good chance that I'll lose lives or game over. He's still hard even when you know what to do, at least for me.

Yes, even when you know what to do it's a tough fight. He can also start the fight randomly which makes it tough to get him into a certain rhythm or pattern. Like, when I practiced he always did two gunshots (that you have to react to right away, otherwise you lose a third or two thirds of your health). However, when I went to record my LP of it, I jumped in as usual at the start of the fight and he did the lightning attack instead, completely throwing me off the rhythm I expected.

Yes, even when you know what to do it's a tough fight. He can also start the fight randomly which makes it tough to get him into a certain rhythm or pattern. Like, when I practiced he always did two gunshots (that you have to react to right away, otherwise you lose a third or two thirds of your health). However, when I went to record my LP of it, I jumped in as usual at the start of the fight and he did the lightning attack instead, completely throwing me off the rhythm I expected.

People think that Jaquio from Ninja Gaiden is one of the toughest NES bossfights, but he's very easy once you know what to do because he has a simple pattern that keeps repeating.

The Joker is a little bitch.

I had the problem with the jumping guys after continuing with next to no ammo. Since everything is new to me in this game I die a lot more than an experienced player would.

I figured out the farming. It's good for ammo but seems super stingy with health

With dropping hearts, it feels like the game has a mind of its own sometimes. Just stick with it, there's no time limit so you can take forever if you have to.

Punch lots. If you have to use a sub-weapon during the stages, outside of a few key moments (like the jumping guys), I suggest relying on the boomerang since it only uses up one unit of ammo.

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll be playing this on and off for a few weeks. I'm concerned about beating the joker. Mdb30 is a much better player than me and he has issues with him so we'll see

He'll probably try to shoot at you as soon as the fight starts, so immediately jump toward him. Then stay on him and keep punching as fast as you can. When he's further away, he uses his gun, and that is what you most have to avoid because it does a whopping three damage.