IGNORED

Legend of Silverpeak RPG

Now that the xm is near done this would be the perfect game to take advantage of maybe some killer tunes and other good stuff .

Agreed! But, yeah, I suck at music and sound effects. I'll be adding sound to the game eventually, but I'd definitely need to collaborate with someone to help with music.

• Like 1

Agreed! But, yeah, I suck at music and sound effects. I'll be adding sound to the game eventually, but I'd definitely need to collaborate with someone to help with music.

I was just pondering the other day what a ridiculously enormous undertaking it would be for one person to make an 8-bit RPG like Legend of Silverpeak. When you look at classic RPGs from back in the day there was always a whole slew of people with specialized skills that came together to make them. There would one team of programmers who did all the coding, another team of artists who designed the graphics, a team of musicians who wrote the soundtrack and created sound effects, a team of writers who came up with the story and dialog, and a director who oversaw it all and made sure the teams came together in a way that worked.

So to be able to make a game like this all by yourself you really need to have the talent of a programmer, graphic design artist, musician, writer, and director all wrapped into one. That's an enormous amount to ask of any one person so I can't overstate just how incredible it is to see a game like Legend of Silverpeak in the works, and I'd definitely recommend reaching out to others in the community for any aspects of the game you might need help with. I know Fragmare here on AtariAge has created some pretty astounding Atari 7800 music so he might be someone to talk to if you need some help with sound design. :)

• Like 8

This is super impressive! Definitely a must have cartridge. Just showed this thread to the wife. I just couldn't contain my excitement!

All I wanted was a simple rougelike and then this gets announced! Love what your doing!

This is super impressive! Definitely a must have cartridge. Just showed this thread to the wife. I just couldn't contain my excitement!

All I wanted was a simple rougelike and then this gets announced! Love what your doing!

Yeah I did the same. She once again confirmed that I am a super geek and tried to discredit my obsession. To her dismay I will always be an Atari nerd. Edited by Jinks

• 2 weeks later...

I'd be willing to help out on some music. Will you be using POKEY sound, or just TIA ... or POKEY music plus TIA sfx?

I appreciate the offer. If I was doing this all myself I'd go with TIA only, if your or anyone else would like to contribute their talents toward POKEY sound that would be cool. Honestly I was taking a short break from working on this game for a while, I dedicated most of my waking hours on the weekends in November and December and I need to do something else with my free time for a little while longer. :)

• Like 1

I'll throw my hat in the ring to contribute some tunes and sound fx, as well. I'm constantly working on Atari and PC-Engine chiptunes, but I can put that on pause and work on something that'll get featured in an actual game... in fact, i'd prefer that lol.

POKEY music with TIA sound effects and accompaniments, I'm assuming?

• 1 month later...

Anymore updates? Atari 2600 and 7800 need more RPGs!

No updates, I haven't worked on this at all since my first post on New Year's Day. I will get back to it eventually, I had more time at the end of last year to work on it than I do right now. I'll admit to also spending a great deal of time with Zelda: Breath of the Wild on my Switch in the last few months whenever I've had down time. Let's call it practical research. :)

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Because it's been 5 months since I posted any actual updates and I have no timeline to get back to this, I thought I'd go ahead and share the source code and all of the files needed for compiling Legend of Silverpeak. Note that there are lots of spoilers here... If you dig into the source code you'll find all the info on the storyline, game events, and exactly how to beat the game, and I have complete game maps of the overworld and the dungeons included in the image files. All I ask is that if you not rip off the graphics and re-use them in your own game, other than that the source code itself is fair game if anyone wants to try their hand at creating an RPG with 7800basic. Hundreds and Hundreds of hours of work have already been poured into this, and I'm still feeling a bit burned out on the project.

The source code contains lots of extended ASCII characters and I use Microsoft's free Visual Studio Code as my editor. It all lines up and looks great in VSC, your mileage may vary with how it looks in other editors. Also, I didn't completely clean up all of the graphics files, there are more included than I actually used in the game, many are simply older versions that were later revised and given a different file name. The overworld/dungeon maps I created are slightly outdated. Overall room connections are the same, but some images were altered. This is exactly the same version I released in the first post back in January, I haven't done any development on it since.

LoS.zip

• Like 8

Hi AM

will check this out at weekend.....would be great,if the

SAVE option works......maybe someone can fix it....

greetings Walter

I can't remember what the issue was with saving. The AtariVox code for loading/saving is in there, it just doesn't work. Note that you can use save states in Mame, Mess, and A7800 to save your progress, that's what I was doing in my testing and it works fine.

I can't remember what the issue was with saving. The AtariVox code for loading/saving is in there, it just doesn't work. Note that you can use save states in Mame, Mess, and A7800 to save your progress, that's what I was doing in my testing and it works fine.

Sure,inthe Emu..it works,but i would like to see it on real Hardware...

greetings Walter

• 2 months later...