IGNORED

New Year, New Jaguar Games

PikoInteractive

• 2 months later...

Still waiting for New PCB sample, since this time they won't be assembled by hand, but by a factory, cutting fulfilling and preordering times by more than half. So as soon as we get a 100% ready sample, we'll make an announcement.

Are you any closer to making an announcement?

Sort of, last week I had to send a Jaguar console to Hong Kong for the Engineering team to test the PCBs. Still a bit to go but hopefully this summer =D.

I won't do pre-orders anymore by the way. Only "Pre-order" that Piko will ever do is Kickstarter projects.

Maybe we'll see Jag clones now? :P

• Like 1

That requires someone to be able to code an FPGA core of the Jaguar, which isn't easy when we don't even have full emulation yet. From what I understand, you would need a higher end FPGA to fit the Jaguar chips into. Most of the projects I have seen don't quite come close. Not that I am an expert by any means!

That requires someone to be able to code an FPGA core of the Jaguar, which isn't easy when we don't even have full emulation yet. From what I understand, you would need a higher end FPGA to fit the Jaguar chips into. Most of the projects I have seen don't quite come close. Not that I am an expert by any means!

I heard that a lot of the FPGA vendors have now realised the errors of their ways selling the tools to work on their devices so they now make them either free or more reasonably priced. Plus there is Amazon F1 to help with development too. The other thing I heard was modern FPGAs are significantly more powerful than they used to be, so maybe there is some possibility of this in these modern times?

Or - just playing devils advocate you understand, you could emulate each jag chip in an individual FPGA and throw in all the bottlenecks getting them to communicate -> just like a real one. :)

Actualy it would be intersting to see a PERFECT Jaguar created in an FPGA - you know the one that was envisioned without the limiting bandwidth 4k limited memory etc - just to see what it should have been capable off. But then it wouldn't be a jag of course.

There really isn't much of an upside to it.

The simple fact is it was seen at the time as Core Design/Gremlin trying to milk the Monty franchise one last time, thinking there was still life in the genre on the 16 bit micro's , let alone 8 bits, after Rick Dangerous II etc.

The music is a remix of a much earlier Monty game, Monty On The Run (which felt like a cheap effort, why not have an original musical score for a new instalment? ) the weapon design etc felt like a step back from Rick Dangerous II.

This was supposed to mark the comeback of a much loved English games franchise.

The whole thing felt rather uninspired compared to the games that came before it.

Those of us who had loved the likes of Monty On The Run and Auf Wiedersehen Monty, came away dissapointed.

If your new to the Monty franchise, you won't be approaching it in the same manner, just don't expect anything special from the time.

It's up there with Custodian as a ST/Amiga title many ignored at the time as it wasn't a very inspiring title.

I've always viewed it as one of those titles Core Design simply did to keep the cash coming in, whilst they looked a developing more promising titles.

This console version review points out many of the gameplay flaws:

http://www.pcengine.co.uk/HTML_Games/Impossamole.htm

Amiga reviews here:

http://amr.abime.net/review_225

http://amr.abime.net/review_225

ST version in action:

https://youtu.be/qd0Hvb7dwLI

Edited by Lost Dragon

Impossamole doesnt look like much fun, and its a shame because it could have been a fun game. But, myself and all the other rabid jag groupies will buy a cart, maybe two!

That's basically the games biggest failing, it's simply not much fun.

The game is by the same people behind Switchblade, which seems to get a mixed reaction from Jaguar owners, so if this is coming to Jaguar, i expect a similar reaction it and Custodian received.

It could of been a lot more, Core Design had proven themselves with earlier titles in the genre on ST and Amiga but something sadly went wrong with this one.

Assuming it will be Impossamole..

I, ahem, look forward to the usual comments from usual voices on YT comments sections about how it belongs on the Genesis/SNES,doesn't push the Jaguar and how easy it must of been to port from the Amiga to the Jaguar.

;-)

It must be really inconvenient to not be allowed to post wearing big boy pants on any grown up forums. Facebook and YouTube are such ephemeral shit-holes :)

• Like 2

Whether or not one of the releases is Impossamole, I'm not sure I understand the hate either. I've never played it before, but looking up clips of it, I can't see why it wouldn't be a welcome addition to the system.. afraid it's gonna take time away from Supercross 3D or Checkered Flag? (Sorry bad Jag games, you know I love you, kind of.)

• Like 1