IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2018 (Season 11)

For me...

NES

Castlevania - 12 min (Just played until my first death. A bat knocked me off a moving platform of course. But the main story is, I have a front loader NES again! Resurrected the one I recently was given. Doesn't look as nice as the one I gave up on a while back and sold for parts... case is a little yellowed and scuffed... should have kept the old one as its case was flawless...)

Playstation

King's Field II (emulated) - 52 min (I played this for a while before bed one night. Just mainly "running" around and killing plants and mushrooms... no idea where I'm supposed to be going or what I'm supposed to be doing... don't remember if this is further than I got when I had the game back in the day or not. I just never played it much back then. Was too slow for me. Now I'm slower, so I don't mind it so much. lol)

Saturn

Albert Odyssey (emulated) - 197 min (Progressed the story a good bit. Have a flying machine now. Probably going to grind some more once I figure out where I am. Realizing this game is very linear. No side quests or anything. People in towns (non-vendors) rarely have anything worthwhile to say. You pretty much just follow the story and the only reason to talk to anyone is to further the story more. I mean, the writing is good for the NPCs, but it's just kinda useless... I'm enjoying the music. It's reminding me some of Suikoden... the music that is... it was way easy to get lost in side stuff in Suikoden...)

No modern stuff this week. Spent a good portion of it cleaning and repairing stuff I got earlier this week and then watching Qi Series O on youtube. I love British panel shows. I miss Stephen Fry, but Sandy Toksvig is a good show runner.

(Included a screenshot of some of the humor I like in Albert Odyssey...)

post-21069-0-62982200-1518406523_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Emerson Arcadia 2001 -

3D Attack - 5min

Crazy Gobbler - 20min

Mobile Soldier Gundum - 10min

R2D Tank - 215min

Red Clash - 10min

Space Mission - 45min

Spiders - 10min

Super Gobbler - 35min

A lot of R2D Tank via emulator as my real cart is in the mail. Also a few other games I have coming in the mail except Gundum, 3D Attack, and crazy Gobbler which I played just to check out. Gundum is a pretty neat shooter, 3D attack is kinda a crappy zaxxon clone, and crazy Gobbler is a Pac-Man clone

R2D Tank and Red Clash are Arcade ports that as far as I know only came to the Arcadia. Space Mission is not bad but ruined by the 2min time limit. spiders kinda feels a bit like centipede but different. And lastly Super Gobbler is another Pac-Man clone but you have a 2nd special ability aside from eating the baddies after eating super dots.

• Like 7

NES-

Dragon Warrior IV- 4hrs 8min

A8-

Qix- 35min

5200-

Miner 2049er- 25min

2600-(real)

Seaquest- 50min

2600-(FB8)

Missile Command- 1hr 10min

Yars Revenge- 40min

Yars Return- 15min

Kaboom!- 5min

Astroblast- 15min

Millipede- 5min

Night Driver- 5min

Super Breakout- 10min

Super Football- 40min (won 68-56)

Overall, I give the base Flashback 8 a C grade. It meets its purpose to provide 2600 style gaming at a low price in convenient package. It does run the joystick games almost perfect. Sticks have more travel and seems slower, but they aren't. Actually, using real 2600 sticks seemed to have a lag in response. Paddle games are another matter... Noticeable movement response/speed difference in right vs left. Left is much slower. Of paddle games I tried, only Astroblast was not majorly affected by this. Commodore paddles gave slightly better response than Atari branded ones. Having to continuously switch controllers to use menus is a minor irritation. You get your money's worth, but not much more. It's better than previous versions, but can still stand to improve. I'd call it a winner if the paddle issue wasn't present.

I'm not a major 2600 gamer, but this device has made me appreciate my old Sears system more. :)

• Like 6

My times for the week:

Atari 2600:
Spaceship Combat - 5 min.
NES:
Airwolf - 34 min.
Juuouki [aka Altered Beast] - 85 min.
Beat the Famicom port of Altered Beast -- another on my long list of games I once beat with codes or savestates, and now aim to beat "legit" -- without too much trouble.
  • Like 6

ATARI 2600

Beamrider - 120 minutes

Frostbite - 26 minutes

Ice Hockey - 10 minutes

Missile Command - 144 minutes

Skiing - 7 minutes

ATARI 7800

Robotron: 2084 - 40 minutes

T:me Salvo - 20 minutes

EVIDENCES OF THE WEEK:

1) Frostbite - 274,660 for 2600 NEW HSC Season 7, Week 5

post-24681-0-73050100-1518431694_thumb.jpg

2) More scores on Missile Command - this week I played Games 6, 7, 8 and 9, all with Difficulty B

post-24681-0-36951300-1518431830_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

It's been an exhausting day here so I'm going to wait until tomorrow or the next day to do the usual picture and writeup for the week, but for now here's a copy/paste of my household's play times for the week just to get them submitted. Suffice it to say it was "Sonic Mania" around my house this past week! :lol:

Ineligible
StreetPass Mii Plaza (Nintendo 3DS) - 26 minutes

Atari 2600
Beamrider - 81 minutes
Frostbite - 36 minutes

Nintendo Game Boy
Attack of the Killer Tomatoes - 70 minutes
Chikyū Kaihō Gun ZAS - 72 minutes
Samurai Shodown - 23 minutes
Stop That Roach! - 18 minutes
Taiyou no Yuusha: Fighbird GB (English Fan Translation) - 28 minutes
Vattle Giuce - 39 minutes

Nintendo Game Boy Color
Dance Dance Revolution GB2 - 12 minutes
Konami GB Collection Vol. 4 - 15 minutes

Sega Game Gear
Tails Adventure (Played on Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console) - 89 minutes

Sega Genesis
Sonic 3D Blast (Emulated on Nintendo Wii) - 414 minutes
Sonic 3 & Knuckles (Emulated on Nintendo Wii) - 130 minutes
Sonic & Knuckles (Emulated on Nintendo Wii) - 173 minutes
Sonic Spinball (Emulated on Nintendo Wii) - 295 minutes
Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (Emulated on Nintendo Wii) - 193 minutes

Total Play Time This Week
1,714 minutes (28 hours 34 minutes) [1,688 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week
Sega Genesis: 1,205 minutes
Nintendo Game Boy: 250 minutes
Atari 2600: 117 minutes
Sega Game Gear: 89 minutes
Nintendo Game Boy Color: 27 minutes
Nintendo 3DS: 26 minutes

• Like 5

Here's the summary for Week 6, running from February 5 - 11. We logged 5088 minutes of eligible play, playing 64 games on a total of 17 systems.

Top 10:

1. Beamrider (Atari 2600) - 548

2. Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis) - 414

3. Werewolves & Wanderers (TI-99/4A) - 300

4. Sonic Spinball (Genesis) - 295

5. Dragon Warrior IV (NES/Famicom) - 248

6. R2D Tank (Emerson Arcadia 2001) - 215

7. Missile Command (Atari 2600) - 214

8. Albert Odyssey: Legend of Eldean (Sega Saturn) - 197

9. Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (Genesis) - 193

10. Skiing (Atari 2600) - 190

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Beamrider (Atari 2600) - 548

2. Werewolves & Wanderers (TI-99/4A) - 300

3. R2D Tank (Emerson Arcadia 2001) - 215

4. Missile Command (Atari 2600) - 214

5. Skiing (Atari 2600) - 190

6. Q*Bert's Qubes (Arcade) - 167

7. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 158

8. Adult Adventure (TI-99/4A) - 80

9. Frostbite (Atari 2600) - 75

9. Pengo (Atari 8-bit) - 75

Top 10 systems:

1. Atari 2600 (1523)

2. Genesis (1205)

3. TI-99/4A (440)

4. NES/Famicom (379)

5. Emerson Arcadia 2001 (350)

6. Game Boy (250)

7. Sega Saturn (197)

8. Arcade (167)

9. Atari 8-bit (160)

10. Game Gear (89)

It's a good week for the Atari and ridin' beams, as we have a triple win for the VCS and its griddiest game.

Meanwhile we get an unusual, simultaneous double accession to the 1000-minute club, as Werewolves & Wanderers on the TI-99/4A joins alongside its door game companion of the same name -- the latter being the first BBS game ever to reach that mark. Their totals of 1180 and 1010 minutes, respectively, get them spots #319 and #320 in the fraternity of ten cubed.

• Like 6

Atari 8-bit:

Olympic Skier - 108 min.

White Circus (Circo Bianco) - 81 min.

Winter Events - 75 min.

Winter Olympiad '88 - 30 min.

Winter Olympics - 16 min.

Yes, we're having an Olympic Games round in the Atari 8-bit HSC. As always, I overdo it and play every possible game beyond the main HSC ones. White Circus is a homemade Italian made game that never reached any broad circulation, but would have wiped the floor with the competitors if it had been sold internationally.

• Like 5

Here are my times for this past week (February 12th through 18th, 2018) on classic games...

Arcade:

Cosmic Guerilla - 28 min.

Ms. Pac-Man - 13 min.

Atari 2600:

Toyshop Trouble - 245 min. in 5 sessions

ZX-Spectrum:

Ms. Pac-Man - 55 min.

I decided to try the ZX-Spectrum version of Ms. Pac-Man which I've never played before. It's quite good, but the sound is not as sophisticated as on the Apple II, and you can't corner here like you can on the original arcade version. It seemed bit hard for that reason, however then I replayed the arcade original which is even harder although a bit smoother. On the Spectrum you notice that in the intermissions the tempo of the music is a bit inconsistent depending on how much is going on in the animation.

Apart from that, I also replayed Cosmic Guerilla. Back when this came out, it seems that they made the games difficult by only allowing the player to move relatively slowly. Later they found out it's more satisfying for the player if it can move at a reasonable speed...

Last, but not least, I replayed Toyshop Trouble on the Atari 2600 until I managed to reach December 24th, which took quite a while. Now I'm trying to write a bot that plays the game by itself. It can't do too much right yet however... it is able to differentiate the different types of screen from each other, switch into the game screen, read the pattern of the first toy to paint and find the position of the player on the main game screen.

• Like 5

Just a little TurboGrafx...

TurboGrafx-16

JJ & Jeff - 5 min (When I was growing up, I went by the nickname J.J. and my best friend's name was/is Jeff. I had to have this game. I've had it for a while now, but never really could get into it. It's okay... just not my thing.)

The Legendary Axe - 68 min (Used a little trick I do to get up to 8 men, then moved on and completely screwed up. I used to be so much better at this game. Had patterns memorized and such. Now I fall off ledges and miss swinging vines... )

• Like 5

Atari 2600:

Asteroids (30 minutes)

Worm War I (15 minutes)

TI-99/4A:

Alpiner (25 minutes)

Bigfoot (20 minutes)

Car Wars (10 minutes)

Defender (20 minutes)

Grail of the Gods (10 minutes)

Henhouse (20 minutes)

Parsec (20 minutes)

Star Trek SOS (10 minutes)

TI Trek (40 minutes)

Tunnels of Doom (90 minutes)

Werewolves & Wanderers (30 minutes)

Mac OS Classic:

Lemmings (20 minutes)

Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego (40 minutes)

Not a big week for me in individual play times, but I played a bunch of games!! Good to get the 2600 out again... been a while.

• Like 6

Another week where I played only retro games :) I took my new Neo Geo Pocket Color to work with me and tried out a few games, beat Sonic Pocket Adventure :) At home I played a bit of my new Arcadia 2001 titles as well as playing a couple on emulator that I have coming in the mail (really hope my R2D Tank hurries up as Im dying to play it on real hardware :) ) and I dusted off my TI-99/4A for some homebrew action!

Arcadia 2001

Breakaway - 10min

Funky Fish (Emulated) - 10min

Hobo - 25min

Parashooter (Emulated) - 5min

Pleiades (Emulated) - 10min

R2D Tank (Emulated) - 30min

Red Clash - 105min

Robot Killer (Emulated) - 10min

Space Mission - 5min

Space Squadron - 10min

Spiders - 60min

Super Gobbler - 85min

Neo Geo Pocket Color

Metal Slug 1st Mission - 25min

Neo Turf Masters - 20min

Samurai Shodown! 2 - 5min

Sonic Pocket Adventure - 175min

The Match of The Millennium - 10min

TI-99/4A

Break Free - 15min

Werewolves and Wanderers - 540min

• Like 7

p

If ya gotta p the bathrooms at the end of the hall on the left. :P

Getting back on topic, much like last week it was another Sonic heavy week of gaming around here so this week's writeup will cover the past two weeks worth of gaming in my household; seeing as how I was a little too wiped out last Monday to do any writing. But first, here's the pictures and times logged for both last week and this week in my household. :)

Last Week

lGGzfhQ.jpg

Ineligible

StreetPass Mii Plaza (Nintendo 3DS) - 26 minutes

Atari 2600

Beamrider - 81 minutes

Frostbite - 36 minutes

Nintendo Game Boy

Attack of the Killer Tomatoes - 70 minutes

Chikyū Kaihō Gun ZAS - 72 minutes

Samurai Shodown - 23 minutes

Stop That Roach! - 18 minutes

Taiyou no Yuusha: Fighbird GB (English Fan Translation) - 28 minutes

Vattle Giuce - 39 minutes

Nintendo Game Boy Color

Dance Dance Revolution GB2 - 12 minutes

Konami GB Collection Vol. 4 - 15 minutes

Sega Game Gear

Tails Adventure (Played on Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console) - 89 minutes

Sega Genesis

Sonic 3D Blast (Emulated on Nintendo Wii) - 414 minutes

Sonic 3 & Knuckles (Emulated on Nintendo Wii) - 130 minutes

Sonic & Knuckles (Emulated on Nintendo Wii) - 173 minutes

Sonic Spinball (Emulated on Nintendo Wii) - 295 minutes

Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (Emulated on Nintendo Wii) - 193 minutes

1,714 minutes (28 hours 34 minutes) [1,688 minutes eligible]

Sega Genesis: 1,205 minutes

Nintendo Game Boy: 250 minutes

Atari 2600: 117 minutes

Sega Game Gear: 89 minutes

Nintendo Game Boy Color: 27 minutes

Nintendo 3DS: 26 minutes

This Week

fAk0dg5.jpg

Ineligible

StreetPass Mii Plaza (Nintendo 3DS) - 12 minutes

Sega Game Gear

Sonic the Hedgehog Spinball (Emulated on Nintendo Wii) - 87 minutes

Sonic the Hedgehog: Triple Trouble (Played on Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console) - 206 minutes

Tails Adventure (Played on Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console) - 285 minutes

Sega Genesis

Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine (Emulated on Nintendo Wii) - 57 minutes

Sonic 3 & Knuckles (Emulated on Nintendo Wii) - 492 minutes

Sony PlayStation

Doom - 211 minutes

1,350 minutes (22 hours 30 minutes) [1,338 minutes eligible]

Sega Game Gear: 578 minutes

Sega Genesis: 549 minutes

Sony PlayStation: 211 minutes

Nintendo 3DS: 12 minutes

As you can see there were a ton of different Sonic games played around here the past couple weeks! First the misses decided to set out on a quest to beat every main series Sonic game on the Genesis with every chaos emerald collected in each, and after two weeks of gaming she succeeded in her goal! She had already beaten Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 last month, so this month she played through Sonic 3, Sonic & Knuckles, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, and Sonic 3D Blast. Once those were all done she did give the Sonic-ized adaptation of Puyo Puyo known as Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine a try, but found it a little too tough to beat even on the Easy difficulty setting. Content with her Sonic accomplishments and feeling like she need a break from high speed platforming the misses then moved onto the classic Doom on the PlayStation, which she's been playing for the past couple days since then.

The spousal unit's Sonic fever over the past month definitely rubbed off a bit on me too, since over the last couple weeks I found myself playing Sonic Spinball, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, and a few of the Game Gear Sonic titles that I had never tried before as well. I remembered really liking Sonic Spinball on the Genesis as a kid but could never beat the last level so I thought it would be fun to give it a go again as an adult and see if I could finally beat it. I spent probably 5 hours or so on this game and what I learned was that there was a good reason I never beat it as a kid, because the difficulty spike on the last level is absolutely insane. I had no trouble breezing through the first 3 levels, but the 4th and final level is just crazy hard even when you know exactly what you need to do to beat it. After several hours of frustration I did eventually try using save states to finish Sonic Spinball on the Genesis, which helped me to finally finish the game after all these years; but I still don't consider it beaten since I had to cheat by using save states to beat it. Fortunately the Game Gear port of Sonic Spinball that I played was waaaaay more forgiving than the Genesis original (and much more generous with extra lives and continues) and I beat that one in about an hour and a half with no trouble at all.

Once I was finished with Sonic Spinball I decided I wanted to play some Sonic games that would let me play as my long time favorite Sonic series character Miles "Tails" Prower. He's been one of my favorite video game characters period ever since Sonic 2 came out, so 25 years give or take, and I had a lot of fun playing some games as him these past few weeks. First I did a complete play through of Sonic 3 & Knuckles as Tails, then tried out the Game Gear exclusives Tails Adventure and Sonic the Hedgehog: Triple Trouble for $5 each via the 3DS's affordably priced Virtual Console. To save some space in this post you can read my thoughts on the wonderfully charming Metroidvania style game Tails Adventure here in the Games Beaten in 2018 thread, but suffice it to say I loved it and will definitely be going back to play through Tails Adventure again in the not too distant future. Sonic the Hedgehog: Triple Trouble has turned out to be an awesome game as well and an extremely impressive title for the Game Gear, but I'm going to wait until I've beaten the game to talk much more about it.

I think that about covers everything from around here for the past two weeks, outside of my acquisition of an EverDrive GB X7 from a fellow AtariAge forum member that is. I'll be covering that purchase more in the weeks to come, but for now I'll just say that it's an absolutely amazing bit of kit and I'll be looking forward to playing around with it more once I have a Game Boy with a proper backlit screen to use it on. Fortunately I should be getting just the thing for it in a week or two so I won't have to wait long, and in the meantime I've still had a lot of fun trying out some games that I've never owned physical copies of via the good old Game Boy Color.

Looking ahead to next week the only thing on my gaming agenda is to spend some more time with Sonic the Hedgehog: Triple Trouble for the Game Gear, and I'm sure the misses will be continuing her play through of Doom on the PlayStation. Other than those games though who knows what the future has in store, but I'm sure we'll find out before too long. Until then, best wishes and happy gaming to you and yours! :)

Edited by Jin
  • Like 5