IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2018 (Season 11)

Out of curiosity, I ran the list of played systems this year vs the list of played systems through all time as per the end of 2017. Indeed most of those who have not shown up this year are obscure. One thing for sure is that CD add-on units is out of fashion in 2018, only the Sega CD hangs onto the list. A little surprising that nobody plays Windows 95/98 games any longer, perhaps the Windows audience is gearing towards the modern games tracker instead.

15. PC (Windows 95/98) (28280)

23. 3DO (15150)
26. NEC PC-9801 (12217)
40. WonderSwan (3400)
41. TG-CD/PC Engine CD (3386)
43. NEC PC-8801 (2709)
47. Sharp X1 (2270)
50. SG-1000 (1936)
51. Sega 32X CD (1301)
54. Amiga CD32 (1153)
57. FM Towns Marty (915)
58. Mattel Aquarius (906)
59. Neo Geo CD (887)
60. Atari Jaguar CD (874)
61. RCA Studio II (666)
63. Amiga AGA/ECS (606)
64. Compucolor II (539)
66. Odyssey^3 / Philips G-7400 (502)
67. Tomy Tutor (451)
68. Epoch Super Cassette Vision (426)
75. Casio PV-1000 (301)
78. Compucolor 8001 (279)
79. Famicom Disk System (263)
80. Virtual Boy (254)
82. Apple Pippin (230)
84. Microvision (214)
85. Fujitsu FM-77 AV (180)
86. PC-FX (175)
89. Sinclair ZX 81 (165)
90. Game & Watch (148)
91. PDP-8 (124)
95. COMX-35 (107)
97. Linux (101)
98. NEC PC-8001 (92)
99. COSMAC ELF (90)
100. Tiger R-Zone (80)
101. Apple Lisa (75)
102. Atari XEGS (70)
103. Sears Video Pinball System (65)
104. SuperGrafx (63)
105. Gamate (60)
105. NEC PC-6001 (60)
107. Intellivision ECS (55)
108. Adventurevision (53)
109. Memotech MTX-512 (51)
110. Sinclair ZX 80 (50)
111. Sharp MZ-700 (39)
112. Telmac 1800 (30)
112. Toshiba Visicom (30)
115. Oric-1 (26)
116. Universum Color TV Multi (25)
118. DEC PDP-1 (20)
119. Odyssey 500 (15)
122. Odyssey 400 (10)
123. PDP-11 ( 8 )
124. Heathkit GD-1999 (7)
126. Vtech Laser 500 (4)
127. Spectravideo SVI-328 (3)
127. Super A'Can (3)

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 4

Out of curiosity, I ran the list of played systems this year vs the list of played systems through all time as per the end of 2017. Indeed most of those who have not shown up this year are obscure. One thing for sure is that CD add-on units is out of fashion in 2018, only the Sega CD hangs onto the list. A little surprising that nobody plays Windows 95/98 games any longer, perhaps the Windows audience is gearing towards the modern games tracker instead.

15. PC (Windows 95/98) (28280)

23. 3DO (15150)

26. NEC PC-9801 (12217)

40. WonderSwan (3400)

41. TG-CD/PC Engine CD (3386)

43. NEC PC-8801 (2709)

47. Sharp X1 (2270)

50. SG-1000 (1936)

51. Sega 32X CD (1301)

54. Amiga CD32 (1153)

57. FM Towns Marty (915)

58. Mattel Aquarius (906)

59. Neo Geo CD (887)

60. Atari Jaguar CD (874)

61. RCA Studio II (666)

63. Amiga AGA/ECS (606)

64. Compucolor II (539)

66. Odyssey^3 / Philips G-7400 (502)

67. Tomy Tutor (451)

68. Epoch Super Cassette Vision (426)

75. Casio PV-1000 (301)

78. Compucolor 8001 (279)

79. Famicom Disk System (263)

80. Virtual Boy (254)

82. Apple Pippin (230)

84. Microvision (214)

85. Fujitsu FM-77 AV (180)

86. PC-FX (175)

89. Sinclair ZX 81 (165)

90. Game & Watch (148)

91. PDP-8 (124)

95. COMX-35 (107)

97. Linux (101)

98. NEC PC-8001 (92)

99. COSMAC ELF (90)

100. Tiger R-Zone (80)

101. Apple Lisa (75)

102. Atari XEGS (70)

103. Sears Video Pinball System (65)

104. SuperGrafx (63)

105. Gamate (60)

105. NEC PC-6001 (60)

107. Intellivision ECS (55)

108. Adventurevision (53)

109. Memotech MTX-512 (51)

110. Sinclair ZX 80 (50)

111. Sharp MZ-700 (39)

112. Telmac 1800 (30)

112. Toshiba Visicom (30)

115. Oric-1 (26)

116. Universum Color TV Multi (25)

118. DEC PDP-1 (20)

119. Odyssey 500 (15)

122. Odyssey 400 (10)

123. PDP-11 ( 8 )

124. Heathkit GD-1999 (7)

126. Vtech Laser 500 (4)

127. Spectravideo SVI-328 (3)

127. Super A'Can (3)

Theres no 3do or R zone times this year? Ill fix that :)

• Like 4

Considering moving the Wii from the living room to my game room... then I can add some times for the TG-CD as I have a few of those downloaded via the VC.

I've already added some to the Jaguar times. =) I'll put those times up on Sunday (it isn't much, but it'll almost double the yearly total so far! lol)

• Like 4

Nice graphs!!

Here is the chart showing my mid-year statistics… Games played vs. Minutes played. For the most part it looks about like it should… the total number of games rise and fall with the total minutes.

There are a few interesting weeks though… weeks that are notable because the average number of minutes PER GAME is skewed to a degree. For the year, my average play-time per game is roughly 38 minutes.

Week #4: This week we played 11 games for a total of 940 minutes… that’s an average of right at 85 minutes per game!

Week #5: This week had the highest average per game of any other week before or since. Since there were only 7 games played this week, the 460 minutes of playtesting on “Werewolves & Wanderers” on the TI-99/4A artificially inflated the average time per game. If we’d only played a few more games at an average time per game, this week wouldn’t have even been a blip on the radar. As is, it's an average of almost 116 minutes per game played.

Week #16: This week had a total of 21 games, but it was my biggest week this year on minutes… 1,750 minutes logged between my son and me. The math on that one has this week at an 83 minute average per game! I had to check this one out, so I went to the spreadsheet. This was the week we got the Vectrex emulator running on my iCade machine, and my son and I played Minestorm to the tune of 510 minutes between the two of us. This was also a week of heavy Tunnels of Doom play, as we logged 245 minutes on that game. Couple this with 2+ hour marathons of Mario 3 and Rad Racer, and this was definitely a week with few games, but a ton of minutes.

Week #19: This week had a total of 30 games, but only 667 total minutes played. This is an average of only 22 minutes per game. I went back and checked my spreadsheet and saw a large number of VCS games at very low minutes. I remembered that this was a week I bought a big box of Atari games and was blowing through them trying to check them each out, to see which ones I wanted to play the following week.

Week #22: This week had the opposite contrast that Week #19 had. There was a total of 14 games, but a massive 1365 minutes logged on those games. That’s 97.5 minutes per game played! I went back to check on what happened there. This was a week I put a massive amount of time into Laser Blast and Super Breakout. I was shooting for the million points on Laser Blast and I was zoning out to Super Breakout. This was also a week where my family was out of town and I had no responsibilities out of work. A fun week… I just wish I’d hit the million on Laser Blast.

Week #26: The second highest average per game of the year so far. This week we played only 12 games, but for a whopping 1,345 minutes. Alpiner on the TI-99/4A, Tetris on the NES, and Knockout Kings 2000 on the N64 contributed to the impressive 112 minutes per game average!

Fun tracking!

post-24953-0-31069500-1530828735_thumb.png

• Like 5

Weekday times for this week (Monday through Friday)

NES:

Blades of Steel (25 minutes)

Duck Hunt (30 minutes)

RBI Baseball (40 minutes)

Super Mario Bros (40 minutes)

Super Mario Bros 2 (20 minutes)

Super Mario Bros 3 (90 minutes)

Tetris (120 minutes)

N64:

All Star Baseball '99 (90 minutes)

Knockout Kings 2000 (180 minutes)

TI-99/4A:

Alpiner (90 minutes)

Strike Three! (25 minutes)

VCS:

Pete Rose Baseball (30 minutes)

Stay Frosty 2 (10 minutes)

I continue to play through the NES Mario games with my son... He is improving. Meanwhile my quest on Alpiner continues....

I also started playing through some baseball titles... This time of year I always get baseball crazy... The NFL is still a couple months away and baseball's what I've got, so....

I wish Bob Uecker had done the play by play on ASB99....

• Like 7

Atari 2600

Tunnel Runner: 10 min

C64

Bear Essentials: 7 min

Rescuing Orc: 6 min

Sam's Journey: 8 min

Tunnel Runner was played for the HSC, just posting a score to stay in the Bronze Medal Bracket.

Those C64 games are all recent homebrews which I bought in the Protovision shop. I only had a little time to test them while visiting my dad today, and the experience was severely hampered by the one nasty joystick I had available (one of those stupid Atari CX24 Pro-Line sticks, with an already half-dead "up" trigger. That stick made especially Sam's Journey nearly unplayable. However, all games look absolutely excellent. Really motivates me to finally fix the bunch of Competition Pro sticks I had scored on a flea market some months ago.

It is amazing how much love and quality went into programming, music, artwork and box design. All the goodies and feelies, and the exquisite attention to detail everywhere. Huge cheers to the C64 homebrew scene! I actually want to beat all those games. That probably won't happen anytime soon due to time constraints. But even if I can't play them much, I consider every cent well spent - if only to support the makers.

• Like 6

Not sure if I'll get any gameplay done on Sunday, so I can post early as well:

Atari 8-bit:

Guardians of the Gorn - 32 min.

Mr. TNT - 10 min.

New Atari Game - 28 min.

C64:

Microprose Soccer 2010 - 60 min.

Super Cassette Vision:

Elevator Fight - 10 min.

Super Soccer - 19 min.

Wheelie Racer - 26 min.

Tandy MC-10:

Flagon Bird - 21 min.

Space Assault - 6 min.

Atari 8-bit HSC, some soccer action of various kinds, some additional SCV gaming and I was in touch with someone of FB who had a small demo for the MC-10 for me to try out on my Alice 4K, which caused me to play some games on it as well. I set new personal bests in 9 of these, Microprose Soccer being the exception as I count a silver medal with Australia higher than losing the semi final with Brazil.

• Like 6

Here are my times on classic games for this past week (July 2nd through 8th)...

Arcade:

Pooyan - 8 min.

Mouse Trap - 257 min.

Venture - 32 min.

Atari 2600:

Mouse Trap - 6 min.

Venture - 8 min.

Colecovision:

Mouse Trap - 31 min.

Venture - 120 min.

Intellivision:

Mouse Trap - 47 min.

VIC-20:

Pooyan - 16 min.

This week started out by discovering a VIC-20 homebrew port of Pooyan. I think it's about as good as the Datasoft version, but suffers a bit from the fact that all the objects are pretty big compared to the screen size, so it's hard to dodge enemy fire.

After that, I attempted to play multiple versions of the Exidy arcade games "Mouse Trap" and "Venture" whose home versions were done by Coleco. With "Mouse Trap", I remember I rolled the Colecovision version some years ago. This time I started with the arcade original which plays fairly smoothly, but gets very fast after a few levels. I managed to reach about 150,000 points on it though. The Colecovision version is not bad either, but never gets as fast as the arcade version. On the Atari 2600, as usual for Coleco, they left out more game elements than would have to be necessary... there are no eagles, no teleporters, no bonus items and no music and only one set of doors, making the game pretty simple. The Intellivision version is much better, but suffers from an annoying music. Also, the eagle usually flies directly towards the player, making it hard to avoid it.

With Venture, it's a similar thing... I didn't get very far on the Arcade original, but managed to clear Level 9 on the Colecovision, just to have Level 9 repeat again (not even the set of Level 7 through 9 which would make it more consistent). The Atari 2600 version looks fairly good, but again they left out more elements than necessary... the enemies aren't animated, you only get 200 points for the treasure, but none for shooting enemies and completing a level, and there are only 2 instead of 3 distinct levels. There's no music on here as well.

• Like 7

Only a couple of classic games for me this week...

Jaguar

Raiden - 25 min (I don't like the music in this version as much as in the TurboGrafx version, but I was still humming it for days afterwards. /shrug I'll always lament the lack of a turbo fire/auto fire button on the Jag controller. If this had one, I'd be playing so much more of it.)

Genesis

Monster World IV (emulated) - 207 min (I've had this one downloaded for a while but never started on it. It really is a great game. The graphics and gameplay are pretty awesome. Beautiful colors and some fun and challenging platforming. The music and sound effects are okay, but nothing too exciting. Looking online, there are some English translated hacks or whatever for around $50, but the original Japanese one is closer to $150 or $200. It was never released outside of Japan. We missed out.)

• Like 6

DEC Alpha:

VAXMULC - 55 minutes

Nevermind on whatever I said before because I got all of one game that counts in this week!

So the plan was something like "Activision Patches, look at S-100 stuff, derp out" or whatever, yeah that fell through. I finally got my old DEC Alpha up and running which is cool to me, or so I thought when I realized that I needed to run between two bootloaders and a lot of crap to get it off of whatever old version of UNIX it was on and back to VMS which I like more. Well, I got my OpenVMS hobbyist license off of my old DECUS account and got the Alpha to *actually* run which was cool.

So yeah, VAXMULC, pretty much textmode Tron Light Cycles with multiple players made for VAX systems, I'm amazed it runs on the Alpha because it was made for an 11/780 but I'm not going to complain as it runs fine in VMS. Pretty much just played this one with some dudes for a while and then we all got bored, whatever it was fun to connect to other people just to play Tron even if it took ages to work.

So, more plans? Nah. I kind-of want to play with VMS some more but I really have no use apart from the Eisner messageboard which isn't exactly the most active, whatever it'll be entertaining for a bit anyways. Maybe I'll actually start on the patch stuff, I've got all week and nothing better to do apart from two days of work anyways.

• Like 6

My times for the week:

NES:
Contra - 2 min.
Genesis:
Davis Cup Tennis - 224 min.
Shadow Dancer - 231 min.
PC (DOS):
Captain Comic - 26 min.
LHX Attack Chopper - 3 min.
Lord of the Rings Vol. 1 - 2 min.
PC (Windows 95/98):
Bermuda Syndrome - 5 min.
Sonic & Knuckles Collection - 3 min.
Beat Shadow Dancer on difficulty levels 1 & 2 (of three), and won a few more tournaments in Davis Cup Tennis.
  • Like 7

Weekend times (Saturday and Sunday)

NES:

Mario 2 (40 minutes)

Rad Racer (20 minutes)

N64:

All Star Baseball '99 (90 minutes)

Knockout Kings 2000 (180 minutes)

TI-99/4A:

Alpiner (210 minutes)

More of the same here ... I keep wanting to put more time in on Cruisin' USA, but I'm never in the mood.

Everest still killing me on Alpiner. That is a tough game that relies heavily on RNG chance.... Sometimes I can blow through the first 5 mountains in mere minutes with no setbacks.... Sometimes Garmo will end me 3 times in a row.

Tough one.

• Like 7

I went on a real gaming Rampage this past week, logging a bit of time in quite a few different versions of the classic series. :)

AdLOKlm.jpg

Ineligible
Rampage: Total Destruction (GameCube) - 305 minutes

Arcade
Rampage (played on Rampage: Total Destruction for GameCube) - 4 minutes
Rampage: World Tour (played on Rampage: Total Destruction for GameCube) - 12 minutes

Atari 2600
Dragonfire - 6 minutes

Game Boy Color
Tomb Raider: Starring Lara Croft - 262 minutes

PlayStation
Parasite Eve - 364 minutes
Rayman 2: The Great Escape - 38 minutes

Sega 32X
Metal Head - 8 minutes

Sega CD
Lethal Enforcers - 25 minutes

Sega Master System
Rampage (Emulated on Nintendo Wii) - 84 minutes

Total Video Game Play Time This Week
1,108 minutes (18 hours 28 minutes) [803 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week
PlayStation: 402 minutes
GameCube: 305 minutes
Game Boy Color: 262 minutes
Sega Master System: 84 minutes
Sega CD: 25 minutes
Arcade: 16 minutes
Sega 32X: 8 minutes
Atari 2600: 6 minutes

After watching the Rampage movie towards the beginning of the week I just had to play some Rampage, but I had never really explored the Rampage series past the Master System port of the first game so I decided to do some research to find out what was generally considered to be the best game in the series. What I discovered was that the general consensus was that it was a tossup between Rampage: World Tour and Rampage: Total Destruction, and given that the GameCube version of Total Destruction included arcade perfect ports of both the original Rampage and Rampage: World Tour as extras on the disc it was a no-brainer which game to pick up.

I bought a mint complete in box copy of Rampage: Total Destruction for $12 off eBay, it arrived in the mail a couple days later, and that's what I spent most of the week playing. I tried out the ports of the original Rampage and Rampage: World Tour arcade games first, but once I tried Total Destruction it was no contest which game I personally liked the most. The plethora of power ups, unlockable special moves, ability to climb and smash the front of buildings, as well as pick up and throw vehicles driving along the road enhanced the Rampage experience a lot; and being given mission objectives for every block and boss fights at the end of every city really broke up the monotony of previous entries in the series. After playing Rampage: Total Destruction all week I'm now on the very last city, but I've enjoyed the game so much that I'm going to put off finishing it for another day or two just to lengthen the experience a little.

I did spend a little time testing out a few new pickups from the past week, including (finally) getting the light gun for Lethal Enforcers on the Sega CD as well as Metal Head for the 32X and the always enjoyable Dragonfire for the Atari 2600, and I also made some further progress into the exceptionally lengthy Tomb Raider for the Game Boy Color, but the majority of my gaming time this past week was dedicated to smashing my way through the cities of the world as a 30 foot tall blue werewolf.

The misses' gaming time for the past week was much the same as it has been for a few weeks now, almost completely focused on trying to beat Parasite Eve for the PlayStation. After doing a bit of FAQ reading she discovered that to beat the final boss you really need one of the secret weapons that can be obtained by collecting 300 pieces of junk and giving them to someone at the police station, which apparently isn't as easy as it sounds and requires a good dozen or so hours of grinding to accomplish. Nevertheless she's kept at it, and aside from testing out a copy of Rayman 2 she picked up and joining me to play a round of Rampage for the Master System that was her sole gaming focus for the week.

I think that just about covers everything for this week! Looking ahead to next week I'm probably going to spend some time playing the Rampage: World Tour arcade game port included with Rampage: Total Destruction once I finish Total Destruction, and I would like to finish up Tomb Raider on the Game Boy Color as well. Other than that I don't have a whole lot of gaming plans for next week. Maybe play some Atari 2600? I know the misses is still feeling pretty dedicated to beating Parasite Eve, but whether that will happen next week or the week after is anyone's guess.

Until next time, and as always, best wishes and happy gaming to you and yours. :)

Edited by Jin
  • Like 6

Here's the summary for Week 27, running from July 2 - 8. We logged 4721 minutes of eligible play, playing 70 games on a total of 27 systems.

Top 10:

1. Parasite Eve (PlayStation) - 364

2. Knockout Kings 2000 (N64) - 360

3. Alpiner (TI-99/4A) - 300

4. Tomb Raider (Game Boy Color) - 262

5. Mouse Trap (Arcade) - 257

6. Tokyo Xtreme Racer (Dreamcast) - 240

7. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 234

8. Shadow Dancer (Genesis) - 231

9. Davis Cup World Tour Tennis (Genesis) - 224

10. Monster World IV (Genesis) - 207

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Alpiner (TI-99/4A) - 300

2. Mouse Trap (Arcade) - 257

3. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 234

4. Venture (ColecoVision) - 120

5. Tunnel Runner (Atari 2600) - 112

6. Galaxian (Atari 2600) - 100

7. River Raid (Atari 2600) - 66

8. Microprose Soccer 2010 (C64) - 60

9. VAXMULC (DEC Alpha) - 55

10. Mouse Trap (Intellivision) - 47

Top 10 systems:

1. Genesis (662)

2. Atari 2600 (642)

3. N64 (540)

4. NES/Famicom (427)

5. PlayStation (402)

6. Dreamcast (330)

7. TI-99/4A (325)

8. Arcade (313)

9. Game Boy Color (262)

10. ColecoVision (151)

Parasite Eve makes it back to the top after a week's absence, just edging out #2 game Knockout Kings 2000.

The latter game does pummel its way into the 1000-minute club, however, with 1050 minutes logged to date that land it spot #333.

Meanwhile the Genesis edges out the Atari 2600 for the system crown, and the TI-99/4A's Alpiner takes the top spot on the pre-NES chart. So, three charts, three systems -- which is no surprise in an extremely diverse week, with 27 platforms represented!

• Like 6