IGNORED

Antivirus that is tolerant of our Atari Helper Programs?

Larry

I don't know if it's out for XP, but I use 360 Total Security on Windows 7 (I don't recall what all it was compatible with when I installed it). It will see them as malicious too, but you can add them to a white-list. The only thing I have an issue with is Rastaconverter, I can put it on the white-list 100 times and it's like it's just not saved as a "safe" program. At that point I just disengage the Internet and turn of 360 Total Security.

don't forget 'serious' collectors can and will infect your system and steal all your bases... deals... and feels... ;)

LOL

submit them to synnex and pc-matic... they will dissect them thoroughly and if it passes will add them to a number of white lists that stick...

Symantec insisted it was infected by some hard drive tool for use with my Atari stuff

I forget what it was but I had an Atari tool from germany to manipulate file to a storage device that was feeding my ebay bids and search lists to some dork and he kept buying out from under me.... no matter where or what it was... switched to a different pc and I won, used the other lost and always to one of his accounts... put 2 and 2 together.. wiped that pc never a problem with that situation again...

while not a fan of symantec, in this case they were correct.... that little bot had to go..

Just because you think it's safe doesn't mean it is....

Paranoia isn't because they're not really out to get you, it's because they are... :)

In all seriousness a detailed explanation to a few Antivirus teams and they'll get to the bottom of it.... then it'll be sorted out....

Edited by _The Doctor__

Moved to PC-Matic to give it a try. Hopefully it will be more co-operative with my programs. So far, so good. I like the idea of an easy-to-find and use Whitelist.

Norton 360 didn't like APE, nor did it tolerate ATADIM + some older regular PC progs.

-Larry

• Like 1

Actually my Rastaconverter program is intermittent, I can have an issue with it, put it on the white list, and it runs without issue for days or weeks, and then suddenly it's considered malware again later on. So now I just shut down my security as stated above whenever I run it.

I have been seriously considering PC Matic myself, it sounds really good to me, but every time I have enough to pay for the first year saved up or set aside, some other retro device or software catches my eye and bye-bye funds... ;)

Microsoft is putting all our data at risk with the stupid crap they pull in an attempt to make users 'upgrade'... just find different way to make a link and don't make the folder... oh you can't use that it's completely incompatible blah blah blah.... make the directory by hand copy some files and bobs your uncle it works... the code is fine.... such bs.. they really need to be hit with some major action to get this type of thing to stop.... and on and on .... It's all been said.. :) all weekend long updating? not a bug folks... hand copy a couple kb********* files and hit update and blammo updates are done in a flash....

Who wants to update GEM for x86 and 64 please! or Magic or perhaps AmigaOS workbench re write em all for these machines and be done with it.. Mint MultiTos anything...

yeah that might be why I use the 8 bit so much... done... just done...

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 2

I have Microsoft windows 7 update completely shut off, for two years now with no problems. All my security and firewalls are third-party, I keep them up to date and f*ck MS and everything is working fine, and no constant updating every damn time I shut down or start up my computer!

Edited by Gunstar

Problem #1 is having any Norton's junk installed on your computer.

It's just retail garbage that's inferior to the free AV from the likes of Avira, Avast and AVG.

I changed from AVG to Avast a few years ago due to the nag popups but it seems Avast has gotten just as bad so I'll probably give Avira a try.

AFAIK all of them (and maybe even Norton's) allow excluding directories from AV scans which is handy for such homebrew utilities (and the dodgy cracked torrented games etc that often get flagged falsely).

• Like 1

So far, I'm happy with PC-Matic. It hasn't burped once, even with full scans, and have a 30-day refund period if it starts acting up. I've done a complete clean install on my XP computer, and overcome all the hurdles that has thrown. I now have (I think) a "good PC" and have backups in several locations including USB and thumb drives. Now if I can just keep those safe.

Incidently, I've got a 3 GHz Core 2 Duo and 2 GB of DDR2 ram, and the PC-matic scan says my computer ranks in the bottom 43% of computers in the world. :twisted:

Well, it's plenty fast enough for my uses (although I hate being in the bottom half of anything!). I do plan to see if there is any way I can get my ATI capture system working with Win7 compatibility mode. I suspect not, but I'll give it a shot.

-Larry

• Like 1

Owning an A8 with any amount of RAM, your computer ranks in the bottom 0.0000001% of computers in the world. Download Virusscan (or Vscan) 1.0 by Bewesoft, it is fully tolerant to Atari Helper programs and keeps your A8 clean. And this Virusscanner does not search for any updates (it also does not scan in the background, so you always know+see when the program is active)... ;-)

@Kyle22: I am interested in that script, that will make my WIN XP SP3 still update perfectly... ;-)

• Like 1

I've been using Norton programs for many years with excellent results. My ISP is Comcast and they supply Norton Security Suite for free. When I compile programs written in Visual Basic 6 (.exe), Norton deletes them. Apparently when Norton sees that only a few people have a program, they assume that it's a virus. I googled the problem and found a solution. For NSS, go to Settings, Firewall, Program Control, then add the program name to the list. Now Norton should ignore finding it on your computer. Works good for me. Good luck.

And I am using WinXP on a laptop.

redman

Edited by redman

When I compile programs written in Visual Basic 6 (.exe), Norton deletes them. Apparently when Norton sees that only a few people have a program, they assume that it's a virus.

I'm sorry, but this is incredibly sloppy behavior. Any antivirus that behaves this way should be immediately trashed because it obviously isn't doing anything that would give you real protection.

• Like 2