IGNORED

Happy New Year... XM shipping this month

Curt Vendel

It's not cheap at all, that's why seeing products in custom cases is few and far between, most mod existing cases or make small 3D printed cases which can still get pricey

I'm surprised it was that cheap, all Chinese plastics companies I talked to wanted 10k to start production on custom controller shells. Some quoted less some quoted A LOT more, that was about average. I'm sure that was mostly inflated so they could make stock sales. Nevertheless, this stuff ain't cheap.

• Like 2

Hi Michael,

Coming from you, that means a lot. Thanks.

Sounds like you and I are similar in regards to handling negativity.

When it comes to any of these Atari upgrade projects, a lot of times people don't realize that unlike a big company, things are on a show string budget and often go into the red. So where other larger entities can simply farm stuff out and/or hire more staff, this isn't an option for these much smaller ventures. In the 1088XEL project that I worked on last year, I must have spent at least $3,000 by the end of it, all of which came out of my pocket and will never be seen again. I have no regrets, and it was my decision to do this, but at the same time I don't appreciate anyone complaining or nit picking on what I created. So yes, I very much understand where you are coming from ;) .

When I looked at what your XM project was all about, the most amazing thing that jumped out at me was indeed the plastics that you mentioned. That most certainly must have cost a small fortune, and I can see where based on the relatively small number of pre-orders, that money would have been easily eaten up just with that alone. Then of course there is the multiple board runs required while developing the electronics design, and the components required to assemble those first run boards. I can quickly see that not only will not make any profit from the pre-orders, but it is also unlikely that you'll get paid for the time you put into this project. And I wouldn't be surprised when all is said and done, you'll actually be negative when it concerns financing on the pre-order aspect. So hopefully you'll be able to turn that around when this hits the AA store later this year ;) .

Bottom line, you are totally awesome for not only taking this on, but also for seeing it through. Congratulations to you on a job well done :) .

- Michael

• Like 4

It's not cheap at all, that's why seeing products in custom cases is few and far between, most mod existing cases or make small 3D printed cases which can still get pricey

Yup, and 3D printing is exactly what I had to resort to. I know how much work I put into designing simple controller PCB's so bravo to you sir, The XM looks amazing. Absolutely incredible actually, something Atari themselves couldn't do. Can't wait to order one myself!

---------------------------------------------------

Order Number: 2009881

Date Ordered: Monday 20 September, 2010

Detailed Invoice:

https://www.legacyengineer.com/storefront/index.php?main_page=account_history_info&order_id=2009881

Products

------------------------------------------------------

1 x 7800 Expansion Module (PRE-ORDER) (7800XM1) = $89.99

------------------------------------------------------

Sub-Total: $89.99

Table Rate (1 x 3.50lbs) (Best Way): $17.50

Total: $107.49

Delivery Address

-------------------------------------------------

Same day as me.

Edited by Jinks

Order Confirmation

Miccoli Marco,

Thanks for shopping with us today!

The following are the details of your order.

Order Number: 2010655

Date Ordered: Saturday 27 October, 2012

Click here for a Detailed Invoice

Products

1 x 7800 Expansion Module (7800XM1) $99.99

---------

Sub-Total: $99.99

Table Rate (1 x 3.50lbs) (Best Way): $15.50

Total: $115.49

Hi all:

1. Please hold off emailing me

2. I will be setting up a webpage to submit order receipts & old info to get the 180 pre-orders filled.

3. ONLY pre-orders being filled, no new orders, no requests for new orders yet.

4. No there is no wait list for new orders.

5. These are going out slowly, only doing 6 or so this month until I ramp up but itll still be like 20 or so first month or so as I build them.

6. New orders will be sold through AA when ready.

Will post photos mid Jan of progress.

I want to purchase an XM as soon as you start taking pre-orders for the 2nd run. Will there be a mailing list?

I Have decided to sell my pre-order to :

Swami

I have forwarded him copies of my E-mail confirmation from way back in the day, and when Curt gets his order webpage up and running I will forward Swami's info to him as the new shipping address.

Sadly for me this product came about 7 years too late. I've moved on from the 7800.

• Like 1

Wow...I was in a panic because for some reason any e-mail that I had that was associated with the order I placed (including the tracking number I got the same day!) disappeared...not even on my backup! Then I found the PM conversation I had with Curt in May 2013 when he said he opened up ten more spaces for preorders, and I found the credit card statement where Syzygy charged me. So there's that. :)

• Like 1

On 1/14/2018 at 6:44 AM, Compumater said:

I Have decided to sell my pre-order to :

Swami

I have forwarded him copies of my E-mail confirmation from way back in the day, and when Curt gets his order webpage up and running I will forward Swami's info to him as the new shipping address.

Sadly for me this product came about 7 years too late. I've moved on from the 7800.

I confirm I have purchased Erik's (Compumater's) XM Module pre-order.

Hi, No, this is not a graphics chip upgrade, though I am very close friends with one of the VLSI engineers who designed the MARIA, its not something that the XM provides.

It would be so awesome to read some anecdotes about what it was like to work on that project . A YouTube vid would work too. Actually it would be very interesting to have both you (regarding the XM) and your friend (regarding the original MARIA chip) recount your experiences in a book or video or something.

Everyone - dont post your receipts, there arent any 2nd pre order lists.

I will post a website soon where you will send me your order info, just hang tight.

Those who want to buy one after pre-orders are filled - do not PM me, Im not taking orders, making lists or any such things.

When they go on sale theyll be through the AA store. There will be a two week notice on when theyll be available so word can get around.

Its first come first serve, no lists or such.

• Like 6