IGNORED

Happy New Year... XM shipping this month

Curt Vendel

Are you doing the solder work by hand?

If yes, God bless you. That is a ton of work.

Speaking of that, I hope he has one of those masks that Al uses, because that is a lot of solder joints. :) I want one now, even if I have to assemble it myself.

• Like 2

Cool, is there any reason you would want to remove this module when after it's plugged in? At the rate 7800 cases fall apart this pretty shells will be sitting on board with PCB. I have two 7800s and both have cases that both on the verge of completely falling apart. Is anyone going to make a custom case/shell for their 7800 when this becomes available?

Cool, is there any reason you would want to remove this module when after it's plugged in? At the rate 7800 cases fall apart this pretty shells will be sitting on board with PCB. I have two 7800s and both have cases that both on the verge of completely falling apart. Is anyone going to make a custom case/shell for their 7800 when this becomes available?

Dude, what are you doing to your 7800s?

I've had four and they've never fallen apart on me!

Speaking of that, I hope he has one of those masks that Al uses, because that is a lot of solder joints. :) I want one now, even if I have to assemble it myself.

I can't imagine soldering all those by hand. Just doing a batch of versaboard carts drives me nuts. Each of my carts has 4 IC's, 5 resistors and 3 caps to be installed and soldered, which is nothing compared to the XM.

• Like 1

Dude, what are you doing to your 7800s?

I've had four and they've never fallen apart on me!

If haightc has one of those 7800s that has a death grip on the cartridge slot (my backup 7800 is like that), I can totally see it causing some issues with the case.

If haightc has one of those 7800s that has a death grip on the cartridge slot (my backup 7800 is like that), I can totally see it causing some issues with the case.

Jeez even in that case the worst I've ever done is break one of the cart guide teeth (which, granted, was damn annoying. Luckily I got one of the one's Curt made to replace it)

I can't imagine soldering all those by hand. Just doing a batch of versaboard carts drives me nuts. Each of my carts has 4 IC's, 5 resistors and 3 caps to be installed and soldered, which is nothing compared to the XM.

I’m building one of mytekcontrols’ 1088XEL boards right now. I might build out my second board at some point but I can’t imagine doing something as complicated for 200 or more units ...

• Like 2

Isn't there a way to automatically solder a lot of solder points at once?

You can use a wave soldering table or even better is to have the factory in china populate the boards for you when they make the pcbs.

I have a friend that made a board that uses a ton of smd ttl chips (and more) he has them put on board at the factory for next to nothing. Saves

sooo much time. It would be counter productive not to have a machine put them on in cases like that as nobody wants or would solder that

many tiny chips by hand. Price wise it's cheaper to have the factory pop on 20 smd ttl's than it is to program another pld and solder it by hand

with the programing to mimic all the ttl operations. Perhaps the reason there is only enough parts for 6 XM units being shown is when they

are confirmed to be functional the factory will be putting the population on board for all but the big chips when they are mass produced.

Only one fella would know that for sure. Pictured below you can see what I mean, all but the battery are done by the factory for dirt cheap.

post-7107-0-28201000-1516390347.png

• Like 2