IGNORED

Happy New Year... XM shipping this month

Curt Vendel

So glad you guys figured it out. I often wondered about response times for chips. I remember when my friend plugged multiple Genies into an NES to play Tyson Punchout, and it worked with two but spazzed out with three of them crammed in there.

The Genies each added a propigation delay until it completely broke the game.

Perhaps with the XM module being a passthough, something could be done to slow down the response times of ROM chips, since modern chips, even 5v ones, are much faster than vintage chips. One possibility would be to connect the i/o of the chips to ground using tiny capacitances and inline chokes. Create an LC low pass filter network to artificially increase the propagation delay.

Perhaps with the XM module being a passthough, something could be done to slow down the response times of ROM chips, since modern chips, even 5v ones, are much faster than vintage chips. One possibility would be to connect the i/o of the chips to ground using tiny capacitances and inline chokes. Create an LC low pass filter network to artificially increase the propagation delay.

While that would be neat, I think the XM has had enough feature creep and revision issues over the last decade bogging it down without adding anything else to the pile. Let it be what it is and lets finally get this thing in our hands. Stuff like that can be considered for another project IMO. Hell just onboard POKEY, RAM & HSC would be enough if it means getting it out the door in a completed manor. The YAMAHA chip I can do without as I'm sure 99.9 percent of users would be fine with as well. You can't miss something you never had.

If the ns timing is the key to victory here that would be amazing.

• Like 2

Sorry... no you haven't missed anything per se yet, it's still about a week out. I'm just sick of this whole "Box" debacle and it does NOTHING for our community whatsoever, doesn't do anything for Atari either, ridiculous Linux streaming box... nevermind, not worth getting into it...

The 3200 is something I discussed years ago, but I pulled off the table because I just wasn't up for it yet health wise and to put what is needed in place. So now I've decided to make it happen, its a full Atari 7800 compatible system with some built in extra's, done in a prototype unreleased case design and going to crowd fund it and get it out the door to help us have new hardware, new controllers and to open the door to doing more things, I'm talking many people here and on FB who've got great projects going on, the Esclair guys (not spelling that right I don't think) about their POKEY replacement, going the MOSIS route and getting a fresh run of new ASIC's done, perhaps doing them as an SMD package so they can be directly used in carts and then mounted onto carriers for direct DIP plugins... I've been working with a friend who was formerly with SONY and he had a 1450XLD case 3d scanned, it needed a tremendous amount of clean up, but imagine brand new 1450XLD cases made and the Esclair XL boards made to work in them, these are a lot of possibilities, but the 3200 will be the first stepping stone to us keeping our hobby and community vibrant and more alive, I'm also discussing a lot with Albert on getting Atariage tied in. Even Joe Decuir who was one of the 2600 engineers is involved, so this will go live in a week or so and Albert will be posting up things on the front page... for now, this is an unfinished website, but gives you an idea of whats coming: www.syzygy3200.com

thanks

Wait.. What's this? Have I missed this news somewhere?

Edited by Curt Vendel
  • Like 21

Sorry... no you haven't missed anything per se yet, it's still about a week out. I'm just sick of this whole "Box" debacle and it does NOTHING for our community whatsoever, doesn't do anything for Atari either, ridiculous Linux streaming box... nevermind, not worth getting into it...

The 3200 is something I discussed years ago, but I pulled off the table because I just wasn't up for it yet health wise and to put what is needed in place. So now I've decided to make it happen, its a full Atari 7800 compatible system with some built in extra's, done in a prototype unreleased case design and going to crowd fund it and get it out the door to help us have new hardware, new controllers and to open the door to doing more things, I'm talking many people here and on FB who've got great projects going on, the Esclair guys (not spelling that right I don't think) about their POKEY replacement, going the MOSIS route and getting a fresh run of new ASIC's done, perhaps doing them as an SMD package so they can be directly used in carts and then mounted onto carriers for direct DIP plugins... I've been working with a friend who was formerly with SONY and he had a 1450XLD case 3d scanned, it needed a tremendous amount of clean up, but imagine brand new 1450XLD cases made and the Esclair XL boards made to work in them, these are a lot of possibilities, but the 3200 will be the first stepping stone to us keeping our hobby and community vibrant and more alive, I'm also discussing a lot with Albert on getting Atariage tied in. Even Joe Decuir who was one of the 2600 engineers is involved, so this will go live in a week or so and Albert will be posting up things on the front page... for now, this is an unfinished website, but gives you an idea of whats coming: www.syzygy3200.com

thanks

First it was new ColecoVisions coming out, now a new Atari? Curt, you're killing me man! I'm really going to have to move to a bigger house...

That's fantastic news and sounds like it's an enhanced 7800 with I'm guessing the XM built in, modern connections, etc. I like the idea of the Gemini/Sears Video Arcade II- like joystick/paddle controllers.

This will be after the XM is completed and shipped out I assume?

• Like 1

Hi Brian,

Agreed, but I have never wavered on my commitment to this project and even with it costing more out of pocket than was financed, I am still 1,000% committed to it. I am making sure that even in the crowdfunding campaign the XM and its delays was mentioned because I want to be very upfront with people and let them know that there have been challenges but I stick to my word. Thanks bud.

It might be hard to get many people to throw down money to fund a new project considering what has happened with the XM.However that is some exciting news and I hope it works out well .

• Like 6

HDMI & Composite outputs from the systems. They will be in the Borg Warner brown and a limited edition "Vader" run in a special package that includes a special edition "I've gone to the dark side" Syzygy 3200 t-shirt. There will be very rare run of "Crystal" units in clear plastic that Joe Decuir will autograph and 50% of the proceeds from that will go to a charity of Joe's choosing such as education or his green solar energy to 3rd world countries project, so this will also help generate some good charitable funds as well.

The 3200 is an "Atari Box" I can get behind. Hopefully it has modern connections (HDMI), and compatibility with carts, controllers, and other peripherals is high.

• Like 8

These new systems won't be out until May/June '19 and the controllers (sold individually as well) will ship in March '19 so the XM's would go out before these new systems.

First it was new ColecoVisions coming out, now a new Atari? Curt, you're killing me man! I'm really going to have to move to a bigger house...

That's fantastic news and sounds like it's an enhanced 7800 with I'm guessing the XM built in, modern connections, etc. I like the idea of the Gemini/Sears Video Arcade II- like joystick/paddle controllers.

This will be after the XM is completed and shipped out I assume?

Wow a new console, that's great news.. I am interested to see if there is going to be anything added to the unit architecture that will further expand and differentiate it from a 7800. If this system could play Atari 8 bit computer carts (with a plug in keyboard) in addition to the 7800, 2600 compatibility that would be amazing.

Looking forward to seeing the complete specs or proposed specs on this in the future..

Good Luck Kurt, I am interested!

• Like 1

Call it Video Toaster 3000 and have it run games for Atari 2600, Atari 7800, Atari computers, Commodore 64, Amiga, NES, SNES, 3DO, PlayStation, Xbox, PS2, Xbox 360, PS3 and actually give it the ability to make toast. Or how about making the case out of toast? An edible console would make a ton of money since people would have to keep buying a new one.

• Like 4

thanks

Personally, I am a bit disappointed, that you even bring this up, before finishing the XM project.

$0.02

• Like 11

@Curt Vendel,

SRAM, POKEY & HSC support. Maybe the SIO if you must but it's nothing to loose sleep over. Ditch the rest of the feature creep crap and call the XM completed. I would be be happy with such specs and I'm sure that nearly, if not everyone else, would be as well (I'm not just speaking for myself here). Put the rest of that stuff in your new console you so brazenly advertised in this XM thread if you so need to. It's time this thing was put to bed and we all got to cuddle up next to it.

Best Regards,

Multiple XM Purchasers

• Like 6

2 DB9 ports on the side, system will use any existing joystick, paddle, trakball...

I'm (cautiously, look at the thread we're in for heaven's sake) all about this 3200 thing. But...I'm sorry, I personally hate that style of controller. Any other options? Or maybe it'll have a controller port which would allow me to use off the shelf options?

• Like 2

@Curt Vendel,

SRAM, POKEY & HSC support. Maybe the SIO if you must but it's nothing to loose sleep over. Ditch the rest of the feature creep crap and call the XM completed. I would be be happy with such specs and I'm sure that nearly, if not everyone else, would be as well (I'm not just speaking for myself here). Put the rest of that stuff in your new console you so brazenly advertised in this XM thread if you so need to. It's time this thing was put to bed and we all got to cuddle up next to it.

Best Regards,

Multiple XM Purchasers

Your just going to cuddle it? I have other ideas. Well maybe I will start with a cuddle.
  • Like 2

Great news Curt! I'm sure you've been asked before, but my email has changed since I've ordered my XM and so has my address. Can I contact you to verify my order info? Thankfully, my name has not changed and I do remember my email address even though it is long gone.

Hope you are doing well and thanks for the great news! I don't really understand much of it, but you explained it well enough for a rube like me to understand. :)

Personally, I am a bit disappointed, that you even bring this up, before finishing the XM project.

$0.02

To quote Backin89: "I got your f**king crackpipe b*tch. I don't even smoke cigarettes. i hope you all sleep in the f**king cold!"

:D

• Like 9