IGNORED

Happy New Year... XM shipping this month

Curt Vendel

With all of the testing and debugging now done. The finalized board design with all of the cuts and strap changes is finished and the test board will be ordered next week. So in hopes there are no issues with the board, I've started work on converting the components to SMD to prepare that board for a test and we move closer to having the PCB factory run the production boards and place most of the parts on them... Meanwhile... I need to finalize the updated box art and update the manual and check in with Mark about starting work on the changing the BIOS screen from all of the HW tests to the consumer menu.

• Like 23

• 2 weeks later...

I have finished the SMD conversion of the board, I will be spending the next 2 weeks thoroughly going through everything to make sure all of the changes are correct and traces are all set.  I will then get a set of test boards made and test them out to make sure the design transitioned properly.    If all goes good, I can start looking into some PC board companies to do the  boards and smd placements at the best cost.   Anyone who has any good recommendations on boards of this size for manufacture and SMD placement, please PM me, always looking for best places with excellent pricing.  Thanks.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

On 6/26/2019 at 10:25 AM, rocketmonkey101 said:

Sounds like we are just a couple months away now. I'm really excited about this and looking forward to see what the homebrew dev starts to look like. I'm on board with a purchase once they hit the AA store! Thanks for the hard work!

I’m thinking six months is more realistic with manufacture and individual by hand assembly of the installation of the board in the shell and labelling. Also, I think some electronics he may have to add or tune himself after getting the boards back. Maybe nine months. 

1 minute ago, Swami said:

I’m thinking six months is more realistic with manufacture and individual by hand assembly of the installation of the board in the shell and labelling. Also, I think some electronics he may have to add or tune himself after getting the boards back. Maybe nine months. 

If we get it in time for Christmas I'll be stoked. I know it's been a long haul though so I'll try to temper my excitement.

44 minutes ago, rocketmonkey101 said:

If we get it in time for Christmas I'll be stoked. I know it's been a long haul though so I'll try to temper my excitement.

You're not even one of the ~200 paid pre-orders, settle down. We all get ours long before you will even be able to consider buying one for yourself.  Xmas hopes are just that unless by some miracle those of us who have all been waiting the better part of a decade to get ours have them first. And then after those 200 are in the hands of those waiting, more will have to be assembled and then sent to AtariAge to be sold in the store. It's gonna be a long ass time before anyone from the general public like yourself will even get a chance at an XM.

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Shawn said:

You're not even one of the ~200 paid pre-orders, settle down. We all get ours long before you will even be able to consider buying one for yourself.  Xmas hopes are just that unless by some miracle those of us who have all been waiting the better part of a decade to get ours have them first. And then after those 200 are in the hands of those waiting, more will have to be assembled and then sent to AtariAge to be sold in the store. It's gonna be a long ass time before anyone from the general public like yourself will even get a chance at an XM.

I don't know why, but this clip popped into my head:

https://youtu.be/345uegSj-zQ

• Like 2

5 hours ago, rocketmonkey101 said:

4 hours ago, Shawn said:

He can try and buy one off an early adopter, like we did, but the chances of that are likely slimming down with a light at the end of the tunnel, sort of, and those who’ve abandoned the console mostly having already sold theirs off. 

21 hours ago, Shawn said:

I'm not sure if you meant it but seems like a lot of vinegar in that post brother. I'm just expressing my happiness that things are moving along.

Edit: as I'm going over this again perhaps I'm reading too much into it. I get that people have been waiting a long time and I know I've got to wait my turn just like everyone else.

Edited by rocketmonkey101
clarity
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2019 at 5:41 PM, Swami said:

those who’ve abandoned the console mostly having already sold theirs off.

That brings up an interesting question, what happens to the units, that were pre-ordered by people that died? :(

16 minutes ago, Shawn said:

It's almost been a month since the last word on this. What's going on?

Patience, young Jedi.  Curt does not have the force!

On 7/17/2019 at 8:44 PM, Shawn said:

It's almost been a month since the last word on this. What's going on?

1 hour ago, Swami said:

Silence. 

That isn't exactly true.  Curt posted an reply on July 19 to his Facebook post that dated June 25.  These details haven't been mentioned here in this thread on the AtariAge forums so that bit of info in the July 19 reply on the Atari 7800 eXpansion Module Facebook page would be the most recent status update.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/7800XM/permalink/2408936599339424/

Capture.PNG

Edited by Tidus79001
  • Like 5

We should have done before and after pics of all 250 people and photoshoped into a group pic to see how we aged.

I had no grey hair and now am 50/50.

If I get this before I die it would be great. 

If not please send it to my kids to use and include instructions like a you tube vid as not sure if they will ever be able to read.

We can still do this its not too late. 

• Haha 3

On 7/22/2019 at 9:42 PM, Tidus79001 said:

That isn't exactly true.  Curt posted an reply on July 19 to his Facebook post that dated June 25.  These details haven't been mentioned here in this thread on the AtariAge forums so that bit of info in the July 19 reply on the Atari 7800 eXpansion Module Facebook page would be the most recent status update.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/7800XM/permalink/2408936599339424/

Capture.PNG

His "secret" better not be talking about using some replacement for the POKEY cause I want a real POKEY in there as advertised. Posting any updates or info on Facebook and not on AtariAge in regards to the XM isn't acceptable. Near every single one of the pre-orders is to the user base of AtariAge, not some Facebook group. If it's in regards to the YAMAHA chip? myself (and many others) don't care, cause nobody is programming for it anytime soon anyhow. 

I'm not impressed with another round of inevitable delays with some new SMD socket to be designed and coming up with some secret chip replacement kicking the can down the road AGAIN? Not cool. Perhaps that is why it was posted on Facebook and not here on AA. I have no idea how to even process this anymore. Just when I think I've heard it all in regards to this thing not being on my doorstep.... :roll: 

It will be very bitter sweet when I do get this thing. I can only imagine those poor folks who have fallen so ill they are on their deathbeds since ordering this thing a decade ago. I feel even worse for those that have actually died before this project completed.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1