IGNORED

Happy New Year... XM shipping this month

Curt Vendel

I'm in a similar boat as some others with no email confirm. The one I had at the time is long gone. I do remember exchanging some emails with Curt about 4-5 years ago verifying my order, but that email is also gone. I've moved, but know what the address would have been and probably the email address, so hopefully that will suffice.

• Like 2

Yes and no.

A perfect answer for every occasion. :thumbsup:

To everyone who preordered, no longer has access to their old email, has moved to new address, gotten married and maiden name changed, but hasn't forgotten about they fact they are holding onto a magic unicorn preorder: relax; it will work itself out in the end. ;-)

Cool.

I found the e-mail from legacy engeneering store with the order confirmation.

Just look for the sender online.sales@legacyengineer.com .

Thanks for this Lid! ?? Im hoping I still have some sort of record. I know I have moved since then but Im pretty sure I used the same email.

Curt, thanks for proving all the doubters wrong...but MOST importantly, thank you for delivering this awesome upgrade to our systems that we all can enjoy for years to come! Just simply amazing that new Atari hardware (not counting the AtariBox...thing...whatever it is going to be...from the faux Infogrames "Atari") is coming out in 2018.

• Like 2

Curt, and everyone who worked on this project --- a huge thank you!

Everyone who has been patiently (and sometimes not so patiently) waiting, without being a jerk about it --- thank you! It's been encouraging just to know that other people cared, and have kept carrying the torch.

Still really looking forward to this, after all these years, although based on the order dates some folks have posted, I may still have to wait a while. My confirmation e-mail was Thu 12/20/2010 7:21 PM

• Like 2

I have been looking forward to this since I first heard of it. I think I pre-ordered one years ago. I am almost certain that I did, but I honestly can't remember anymore. I definitely want to get one.

I've been wondering... does the XM allow for more color palettes in the 320 modes?

Trebor posted this gameplay video on the "updates" thread.

I am so stoked to see DKII coming to the 7800/xm. I've wanted to play this game in some form for so long, so glad to see it getting ported. Tep's DK PK is hands down the best Donkey Kong port to date, even better than Nintendo's "Complete Edition" dumped from Wiiware. I've wanted to play the remixed stages since I heard about the arcade port. :D :thumbsup:

EDIT: Nevermind, was what appears to be the arcade port. Upon closer inspection, the sounds are arcade, not pokey, with vertical scanline effects... :dunce:

Edited by Kosmic Stardust

Curt, thanks for proving all the doubters wrong...but MOST importantly, thank you for delivering this awesome upgrade to our systems that we all can enjoy for years to come! Just simply amazing that new Atari hardware (not counting the AtariBox...thing...whatever it is going to be...from the faux Infogrames "Atari") is coming out in 2018.

As the old saying goes good things come to those who wait.

Curt, and everyone who worked on this project --- a huge thank you!

Everyone who has been patiently (and sometimes not so patiently) waiting, without being a jerk about it --- thank you! It's been encouraging just to know that other people cared, and have kept carrying the torch.

Still really looking forward to this, after all these years, although based on the order dates some folks have posted, I may still have to wait a while. My confirmation e-mail was Thu 12/20/2010 7:21 PM

Considering the ambitious scope and nature of this project this wait really hasn't been that long. Curt, thanks for not listening to the naysayers and for keeping the project forward moving to bring it into reality. It is nothing short of amazing that all of this stemmed from a crazy dream of passion which fulfills the broken promises to the consumer that were made by Atari and finally after all these years is giving the the Atari 7800 what Atari never could back in day.

The main order of this run of boards is in, as soon as they arrive I will post photos, its 5 days to manufacture and I have 2nd day shipping, so figure next tuesday PM I will post photo's.

Just got a brandy new soldering station and some new tools, so I'm ramping up for assembly.

• Like 6

I have a thin skin at times and with my health on a rollercoaster I decided to just stop coming to the forums and focus on my health and getting things fixed and corrected here and there until I could get to this point. When the naysayers had really gotten under my skin, I came very close to giving up and just shipping everyone the plastics and being done with it as that was all the pre-orders paid for, but I love the 7800 so much and I wanted to keep my word, so I stuck with it and it was the right thing to do.

As the old saying goes good things come to those who wait.

Considering the ambitious scope and nature of this project this wait really hasn't been that long. Curt, thanks for not listening to the naysayers and for keeping the project forward moving to bring it into reality. It is nothing short of amazing that all of this stemmed from a crazy dream of passion which fulfills the broken promises to the consumer that were made by Atari and finally after all these years is giving the the Atari 7800 what Atari never could back in day.

• Like 19

Hi, No, this is not a graphics chip upgrade, though I am very close friends with one of the VLSI engineers who designed the MARIA, its not something that the XM provides.

I have been looking forward to this since I first heard of it. I think I pre-ordered one years ago. I am almost certain that I did, but I honestly can't remember anymore. I definitely want to get one.
I've been wondering... does the XM allow for more color palettes in the 320 modes?

• Like 1

I have a thin skin at times and with my health on a rollercoaster I decided to just stop coming to the forums and focus on my health and getting things fixed and corrected here and there until I could get to this point. When the naysayers had really gotten under my skin, I came very close to giving up and just shipping everyone the plastics and being done with it as that was all the pre-orders paid for, but I love the 7800 so much and I wanted to keep my word, so I stuck with it and it was the right thing to do.

Sounds like you and I are similar in regards to handling negativity.

When it comes to any of these Atari upgrade projects, a lot of times people don't realize that unlike a big company, things are on a show string budget and often go into the red. So where other larger entities can simply farm stuff out and/or hire more staff, this isn't an option for these much smaller ventures. In the 1088XEL project that I worked on last year, I must have spent at least $3,000 by the end of it, all of which came out of my pocket and will never be seen again. I have no regrets, and it was my decision to do this, but at the same time I don't appreciate anyone complaining or nit picking on what I created. So yes, I very much understand where you are coming from ;) .

When I looked at what your XM project was all about, the most amazing thing that jumped out at me was indeed the plastics that you mentioned. That most certainly must have cost a small fortune, and I can see where based on the relatively small number of pre-orders, that money would have been easily eaten up just with that alone. Then of course there is the multiple board runs required while developing the electronics design, and the components required to assemble those first run boards. I can quickly see that not only will not make any profit from the pre-orders, but it is also unlikely that you'll get paid for the time you put into this project. And I wouldn't be surprised when all is said and done, you'll actually be negative when it concerns financing on the pre-order aspect. So hopefully you'll be able to turn that around when this hits the AA store later this year ;) .

Bottom line, you are totally awesome for not only taking this on, but also for seeing it through. Congratulations to you on a job well done :) .

- Michael

• Like 6

When I looked at what your XM project was all about, the most amazing thing that jumped out at me was indeed the plastics that you mentioned. That most certainly must have cost a small fortune, and I can see where based on the relatively small number of pre-orders, that money would have been easily eaten up just with that alone. Then of course there is the multiple board runs required while developing the electronics design, and the components required to assemble those first run boards. I can quickly see that not only will not make any profit from the pre-orders, but it is also unlikely that you'll get paid for the time you put into this project. And I wouldn't be surprised when all is said and done, you'll actually be negative when it concerns financing on the pre-order aspect. So hopefully you'll be able to turn that around when this hits the AA store later this year ;) .

Bottom line, you are totally awesome for not only taking this on, but also for seeing it through. Congratulations to you on a job well done :) .

- Michael

This is EXACTLY why I never complained.

• Like 3

Update:

So boards are on their way from PCB manufacturer, hoping they may be here on Friday, as soon as they arrive I'll post photos. Just ordered a batch of the 1508 CPLD's and I have a backorder on the 36 pin edge connectors (which I cut off the 4 legs to make them 32 to fit in the 7800 slot) the ones with the longer tails which are needed for the correct height to match the cartridge guide are not in stock from Mouser or any of the other suppliers, but I have 8 in my office, so doing these first 6 wont be an issue and I'll have the next batch of 50 in for building out the next batch of XMs next month.

• Like 13

The plastics I did from the original drawings from Tom Palecki of an early CPU add-on module design for the 7800 in spring of 84' before Atari canned that approach and went with the lower cost keyboard only through the joystick approach.

Ever since I did the High Score carts back in 99' I always wanted a way for a pass through plug in so originally the XM idea was to do that case with the high score and I was going to just add Pokey, well then it grew to adding memory, then more advanced memory, then adding in a footprint for a PIA and adding in basic Keyboard usage with the XEGS keyboards, then the Yamaha processor was added, a bus divider, onboard BIOS with flash upgradability... it kept growing.

Tooling was very expensive, between the tooling, running off 500 sets of plastics and having the custom aluminum name plates made it was $18K in total, the 180 orders just covered that, everything else is coming out of pocket do to bad math on my part. Any new orders will have to be at $149 to cover all of the costs...

I wanted this to look and feel like as if Atari had made these themselves in the 1984 era, so I went top shelf with the case and nameplates.

Sounds like you and I are similar in regards to handling negativity.

When it comes to any of these Atari upgrade projects, a lot of times people don't realize that unlike a big company, things are on a show string budget and often go into the red. So where other larger entities can simply farm stuff out and/or hire more staff, this isn't an option for these much smaller ventures. In the 1088XEL project that I worked on last year, I must have spent at least $3,000 by the end of it, all of which came out of my pocket and will never be seen again. I have no regrets, and it was my decision to do this, but at the same time I don't appreciate anyone complaining or nit picking on what I created. So yes, I very much understand where you are coming from ;) .

- Michael

• Like 21

Tooling was very expensive, between the tooling, running off 500 sets of plastics and having the custom aluminum name plates made it was $18K in total, the 180 orders just covered that, everything else is coming out of pocket do to bad math on my part.

I'm surprised it was that cheap, all Chinese plastics companies I talked to wanted 10k to start production on custom controller shells. Some quoted less some quoted A LOT more, that was about average. I'm sure that was mostly inflated so they could make stock sales. Nevertheless, this stuff ain't cheap.

Edited by DanthWader
  • Like 1