IGNORED

Happy New Year... XM shipping this month

Curt Vendel

Perry and I are comparing a few things, new slower 120ns chips are in for the BIOS, doing some timing tests with cartridges only for now and checking which bus divider type (HCT or ACT) seems to be more to the 7800's liking...

So lets see what next couple of days bring us.

• Like 3

Well, all in due time, XM for now... the other console afterwards... I'm just putting all of the needed things together for that so when the time comes things will be ready and then we'll take it from there, but thanks for the support.

This sounds too juicy to be true. Is it an FPGA console? Will it support hdmi? Every time someone builds an emulator/dumper unit and declares it a functional clone, a kitten dies.

Moving on, your 7800 recreation sounds like a fantastic idea. One suggestion though. Name it the 10400, since 2600 + 2600 = 5200, 7800, then 10400. But perhaps that's too close to the 1040st. icon_razz.gif

Or 7900, since you know, 78 plus 1. icon_mrgreen.gif

It doesn't matter really. 3200 is good too which breaks down into 2^7 * 5^2. Okay I'm just being a geek now... icon_dunce.gif

Call it the flim-flam (since doo-dee is already taken)
http://atariage.com/forums/topic/242970-fpga-based-videogame-system/page-442?do=findComment&comment=4115815
and it will still be 1000000x the console that Tacobox thing will ever be. Actually scratch that. It will be infinitely better, since the Tacobox will be a zero and 0 * 1000000 is still zero. Yours will be like a Googolplex kn comparison.

Three Cheers Curt! icon_biggrinwink.gificon_biggrinwink.gificon_biggrinwink.gif

Also still waiting on you and Marty to collaborate on the Business is War book. Time's a wasting... icon_winking.gif

• Like 4

Its been mentioned quite a bit, but I will work something out and Albert can sell the other XM's once the pre-orders are out to everyone.

The preorder for the XM seems like it was a long time ago and I missed the boat on that. Will there be any chance to get a hold of one other than on ebay???

• Like 3

I don't abandon anything... get that out of your mind. I made a promise and commitment, I don't do that to people, thats not right nor fair. People will get their XM's.

Perhaps Curt has come to the conclusion that it is in fact cheaper to build the XM hardware into a new 7800 system instead of trying to piggy back on the original. And i am okay with that. Perhaps the Kickstarter is a success and all those XM preorders get a new, XM capable console, with better support and cleaner a/v outputs.

If anyone preordered the XM, they get a brand new console instead. I can't see any reason to complain.

Opcode is moving forward with the Promethius which will have the Super Module compatibility built into it plus more. With the low cost of making hardware in 2018, it is actually cheaper to just build a new console than produce an addon that supports the old one.

So perhaps, and this is just a theory, Curt abandons the XM for an XM capable 7800 recreation. And people get something better than what they preordered. Naysayers trying to kill the project until he ships out the XM first will inadvertently kill both. icon_ponder.gif

• Like 4

New chips came in and I got a board 1/2 built out last night, finishing it tonight. I'll program a fresh PLD and try out the new chips, will post results once done, thanks....

Perry and I are comparing a few things, new slower 120ns chips are in for the BIOS, doing some timing tests with cartridges only for now and checking which bus divider type (HCT or ACT) seems to be more to the 7800's liking...

So lets see what next couple of days bring us.

When you say the 120ns chips are in for the BIOS does that mean the test you said you where doing on September 30th was a success?

• Like 1

I don't abandon anything... get that out of your mind. I made a promise and commitment, I don't do that to people, thats not right nor fair. People will get their XM's.

Sorry Curt. Glad you are feeling better. A lot of people felt like they got burned, largely over circumstances you cold not control. Glad to see you are feeling better and taking the initiative to make things right.

• Like 1

I'm just trying to do the right thing and I know I've made a lot of people feel like they got burned. Its bothers me a great deal. I took on this project when I had just gotten past my first heart surgery and was hoping that was behind me, instead I've spent almost 9 years in an up and down roller coaster ride of near death experiences with my heart and 7 surgeries. Each recovery was longer, more painful and worse than the one before. I love this hobby and I love Atari. Its my life's passion. I am in a place now where I'm in a great way health wise and I want to stay that way and I'm trying to make up for years of lost time due to my health. I'm sorry that this has taken so long to accomplish and while I'm glad many understand, it still bothers me everyone has had to wait so long for a project that started out simple and become a very complex machine, almost an entire system in itself that connects into the 7800. I have good friends and people with the same kind of passion and love for Atari that I have helping me and we've all been working together to try and make this happen and we will. So thank you for the support.

Sorry Curt. Glad you are feeling better. A lot of people felt like they got burned, largely over circumstances you cold not control. Glad to see you are feeling better and taking the initiative to make things right.

• Like 10

Yes and no. Garbage is gone from the screen but there are still some timing issues. I hard jumpered the 245 to take it out of the equation and the only thing difference I saw was the white bars with a 2600 cart, so the console went into 2600 protective (safe) mode. But I will say that the slower BIOS chips did make a difference. I need to run the logic probe on the lines tomorrow afternoon and check a few things. Mark is hoping to find some time soon to run a logic analyzer on his board. I don't have one anymore, I had to sell mine a few years back to pay medical bills so I don't have all the nicey nice toys anymore for testing. But I did just buy a kick ass new desoldering station which has worked excellent with I've have to remove some PLCC sockets in a pinch.

So another step forward, but not a leap... looking for a leap. I just took a break from the bench and wanted to post up some more replies before I call it a night, gotta take my daughter to school at 6;45am so I need some zzzzz's. nite.

When you say the 120ns chips are in for the BIOS does that mean the test you said you where doing on September 30th was a success?

• Like 5

Another hurdle overcome --- timing is much better. Just ran a few quick tests with some carts that previously didn't work:

2600 Games:

Berzerk Voice Enhanced - WORKING

Spy Hunter - WORKING

Krockcart - WORKING

So I am going to take some notes tonight, do some further testing and I am going to test on the High Score keeping capabilities and see how things are progressing.

Will keep everyone posted :-)

• Like 10

Another hurdle overcome --- timing is much better. Just ran a few quick tests with some carts that previously didn't work:

2600 Games:

Berzerk Voice Enhanced - WORKING

Spy Hunter - WORKING

Krockcart - WORKING

So I am going to take some notes tonight, do some further testing and I am going to test on the High Score keeping capabilities and see how things are progressing.

Will keep everyone posted :-)

Would that be for the 7800 side to see if the NVRAM is working?

• Like 1

I have a website with a form for everyone who pre-ordered to send updated address info, so I'll build in batches and make weekly shipments out, so once I go to that I'm going to post up the website and have everyone submit everything and on the backend it prints out my labels, so it'll make things easy on my end to just pack and ship.

So, just to be clear - this website with the submission form isn't live/available yet?

I tested several regular 7800 carts, some of the homebrews, so far all are working, Activision F18 is also working, that was a problem for the early Rev 2.0 boards, Roman's 48K boards all work. I tested Bob's Pac Man 320 and Ms Pac Man 320... had lock ups and other oddities with them I'm not seeing - can't wait until POKEY testing comes and they can use the POKEY. I will test Ball Blazer tomorrow and Commando was a previous cart that was a problem.

If all goes well, once I get to the POKEY build out and testing I'm going to need to get Bentley and Burger Time carts to test, so I'll buy those from Albert. Also if once I get to that point, I will probably be sending a fully assembled XM to Bob (PacManPlus) so he can do some testing directly himself...

When the POKEY is installed the Keyboard tests can also be done, which means I can test with an XE GS keyboard and then test with Michaels (Mytek) XEGS Keyboard adapter and try that out...

Getting rather jazzed... so I am going to do a little more work for an hour, gotta get some sleep, need to take my daughter to school in the morning and then tomorrow I'll have some time to do more testing and start checking the NvRAM and SRAM tests.

Hoping to post up some video's tomorrow if time permits.

gnight.

• Like 11

No, the website hasnt been posted yet, so the answer is no. But I am going to put it up this weekend just so I can get things started with people's info. Look for the post, it'll be on its own when I post it and not in this thread.

So, just to be clear - this website with the submission form isn't live/available yet?

• Like 1

OKay, so I have gone through all the Activision carts I have, including Pitfall II, Robot Tank and Space Shuttle... all of them are working correctly on my June '84 7800 so no issues with the XM and going though the PLD and Bus divider to the console.

I also tested all of PacManplus' games that I have - Pac Man, Pac Man Plus, Super Pacman, PacMan Collection and I also tested Space Invaders. All homebrews so far are working fine.

Perry is loaning me Donkey Kong XM and Burger Time for testing and I have just tested Ball Blazer now, and it is working fine as well. So compatibility wise, it looks like the XM is acting far more of a passive pass-thru now and it doesn't seem to be causing any issues with the games which is precisely why the rev 3.5 design was done.

I still have to continue more testing and I am hoping to start soldering in the audio subsystem hopefully tonight and then we can see how POKEY is working with things.

In the meantime I'm sending down the components for the Yamaha Insanity section to Perry, I know he's been itching to realworld test out some of his code using the Yamaha, which I gotta say, I'm jazzed about.

Would still love to see somebody do Marble Madness on the 7800... then the Yamaha would really kick some ass in games...

• Like 10