IGNORED

Flashed my first Gotek today...

eightbit

Believe it or not, I never did this before. Whenever I purchased one I just got them pre-flashed. But today I was stuck in the house due to the blizzard and I actually had a Gotek laying around that did not have any special firmware (was using it previously in a PC) and figured what the heck I'll give it a try. I found a great Youtube tutorial that shows how to flash this using a male-male USB cable (that I also have for some reason!) here:

And I used the flash floppy firmware from here:

https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy

Worked perfectly. Flashed in seconds and now I have a spare FlashFloppy Gotek for something else. This firmware is fantastic BTW. Its free (big plus), completely compatible with HxC and actually feels faster to me when navigating large directories. Really cool. I thought this might be helpful to someone as a standard Gotek without custom firmware can be had for around $16 shipped.

• Like 5

I actually have one (and it works too) but I have been lazy about cutting the hole. I have a 3d print file of a proper case with 0.91 OLED spot measured correctly and may have that printed down the road. Also, I wanted to add that this method does work in Windows 10. You can just use the Windows 8.1 driver for the STL device.

[...] completely compatible with HxC [...] actually feels faster to me when navigating large directories.

Nop, not fully compatible with HxC ;)

For the faster thing : If you are talking about the hxc firmware, update your it and the hxc selector too :

http://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_drive_emulator/USB_HFE_hxc_floppy_emulator_firmware_release_notes.txt

http://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_drive_emulator/HXCFEUSB_HFE_beta_firmware.zip

Edited by Jeff_HxC2001

Nop, not fully compatible with HxC ;)

For the faster thing : If you are talking about the hxc firmware, update your it and the hxc selector too :

http://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_drive_emulator/USB_HFE_hxc_floppy_emulator_firmware_release_notes.txt

http://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_drive_emulator/HXCFEUSB_HFE_beta_firmware.zip

Sounds like maybe you do not like the FlashFloppy firmware considering that you edited your post from what you first called it ;)

That link is the USB floppy emulator firmware update. I do not own that. I own the SD HxC Floppy emulator and the latest version of that firmware is 1.8.6.14a...unless you have something newer? And yes, navigation is definitely slower with this in the latest version of the selector when dealing with thousands of Amiga floppy images.

Speaking of compatibility, I wasn't referring to ever computer under the sun. I am posting in an Amiga forum and was referring to the Amiga platform specifically. It's probably more compatible when I think about it as it supports .HFE and .ADF. Unless the HxC supports .ADF directly (without using the software to batch convert everything to .HFE) nowadays? I know with using it on a PC I recently had to convert IMG files to HFE format for them to be recognized (which is an annoying extra step) so I am assuming it is still the same for Amiga floppy images.

Edited by eightbit

For the speed I talked about the HxC Gotek firmware (the one you call "USB floppy emulator firmware") since i thought from your previous posts that you have it. So this was a cortex firmware ?

For SD HxC have you updated the file selector to the latest version ?

Edited by Jeff_HxC2001

No, this has nothing to do with Cortex firmware. I simply flashed a Gotek that had no custom firmware with the free FlashFloppy firmware and it runs great....better than my SD HxC model in my experience. Just one man's opinion, but I urge others to try the FF firmware and compare for themselves ;)The FLashFloppy firmware supports direct use of ADF images is what I was saying (and IMG files as well) with no conversion necessary. It also supports the .HFE format.

Edited by eightbit
  • Like 1

No, this has nothing to do with Cortex firmware. I simply flashed a Gotek that had no custom firmware with the free FlashFloppy firmware and it runs great....better than my SD HxC model in my experience. Just one man's opinion, but I urge others to try the FF firmware and compare for themselves ;)The FLashFloppy firmware supports direct use of ADF images is what I was saying (and IMG files as well) with no conversion necessary. It also supports the .HFE format.

Which is exactly the current status of the HxC Firmware for Gotek since 2015 : Direct support of ADF, HFE, ST files. And now CPC DSK and many more.

(Full current list : Direct support of HFE, HFEv3, ADF, ST, IMG, (E)DSK, ADL, ADM, SSD, DSD, ADF (Acorn), LDF, D81, FD, SAD, MGT, TRD, SDD file formats)

And many more to come ;).

FYI Here is the release notes :

Edited by Jeff_HxC2001
  • Like 2

Then why is it that when I copy an .IMG (IBM PC Floppy) image to the SD card and insert it into my HxC SD Floppy Emulator with the latest firmware that the image is not seen at all? It is not until I use the HxC Floppy Software and convert the .IMG file to .HFE that the floppy emulator sees the image and it is selectable.

I suspect all of these updates are only happening for the USB HxC emulator :(

Edited by eightbit

Then why is it that when I copy an .IMG (IBM PC Floppy) image to the SD card and insert it into my HxC SD Floppy Emulator with the latest firmware that the image is not seen at all? It is not until I use the HxC Floppy Software and convert the .IMG file to .HFE that the floppy emulator sees the image and it is selectable.

I suspect all of these updates are only happening for the USB HxC emulator :(

I never said that this is for the SD HxC. This the firmware for the Gotek USB "HxC".

Ohh, you are referring to just the firmware being used on a Gotek. I gotcha now. I was referring to the branded HxC Floppy products produced by Lotharek that ship with the firmware. I have one of those with the aforementioned firmware that needs everything converted, and two goteks with the FlashFloppy firmware. I guess the HxC firmware would be worthwhile for someone to pay for if they needed some of those exclusive formats that FF does not support (yet), but for just Amiga, ST or PC support I have to recommend the FF firmware because it is free (of course)and you can flash the Gotek using the method in the video posted using a USB cable in the front.

Since you are here, I have to ask. Why is the SD HxC firmware so out of date that it does not include the same features as the firmware offered for flashing the Gotek? Seems kind of odd to me that the SD versions would not have the same support....not to mention kind of crappy considering the price I paid for the SD version was 5X what a Gotek would be. Someone with a Gotek can pay ten bucks for the HxC firmware and have better support than this SD HxC version which cost me quite a bit.

Edited by eightbit

Ohh, you are referring to just the firmware being used on a Gotek. I gotcha now. I was referring to the branded HxC Floppy products produced by Lotharek that ship with the firmware. I have one of those with the aforementioned firmware that needs everything converted, and two goteks with the FlashFloppy firmware. I guess the HxC firmware would be worthwhile for someone to pay for if they needed some of those exclusive formats that FF does not support (yet), but for just Amiga, ST or PC support I have to recommend the FF firmware because it is free (of course)and you can flash the Gotek using the method in the video posted using a USB cable in the front.

So if i understand you, all these firmwares and work needed to code and support them doesn't even worth 14 buck ?

Since you are here, I have to ask. Why is the SD HxC firmware so out of date that it does not include the same features as the firmware offered for flashing the Gotek? Seems kind of odd to me that the SD versions would not have the same support....not to mention kind of crappy considering the price I paid for the SD version was 5X what a Gotek would be. Someone with a Gotek can pay ten bucks for the HxC firmware and have better support than this SD HxC version which cost me quite a bit.

This is simple :

The SD HxC address a totally different market where the reliability is a must ! There are ~20000 SD HxC installed until now and some thousands are in very very very sensitive places where any failure can be catastrophic. So the firmware MUST be stable and reliable. Each firmware must be carefully tested during weeks before any release. The industrial peoples doesn't like products with 10 fix releases per year with tons of "cool"-but-not-really-needed features.

For example the HFE cover the need for 99% of the industrial machines and adding others formats support will probably bring more users setting mistakes, less security/reliability (Important point : There is no CRC into these IMG files !) and something harder to test and validate : All the tests need to be executed for each formats and sub-format with different flash medias !

On the contrary on the "gotek" i can "play" much more, make some new experimental things and make quick releases. If someone can't play a game cause of an update, this is less an immediate problem than a factory production stopped cause of a firmware/hardware failure ! In the latter case we can be criminally responsible and pay for the prejudice... Not an option for me.

To sum up, we are paid for the SD HxC for its maturity and stability since some years now.

I may bring into some user interfaces improvements soon but i don't think i will touch the floppy emulation part.

Have a look to the showroom to see some usages and the product orientation : http://hxc2001.com/showroom/

Hope you get the point. :) (And Thanks for the question).

I understand the reasoning behind your explanation but at the same time people generally do not update a firmware if things are working. Adding something like D64 or DMS support to the SD HxC may not pertain to say a CNC or a flight simulator so the owners would not want to update.

What about a "branch" of the firmware for the SD HxC to provide new and potentially unreliable features which exist in the USB? Do I understand correctly there are third-party flashes for the SD HxC? That being the case then someone is filling that very reasonable void.

As an aside, many around the forum have expressed gratitude for your being here at AtariAge.

• Like 1

I just flashed my Gotek with FlashFloppy for my Atari STE and it's working fine. I may have to do that on my Amiga 500, on that one, I have the Cortex firmware installed.

The OLED display looks nice and it looks like it's basically Plug-n-Play. I may have to do that too.

Cortex is buggy - not as compatible as it can be (try disk copies and formatting) and is no longer developed. At least go with FlashFloppy.

I will re-flash the Amiga one with the FlashFloppy, but for some reason I have a hard time flashing those devices. It takes 10s of tries to get the Gotek to communicate with the flashing software.

But once is working then the flashing is no problem.

I will re-flash the Amiga one with the FlashFloppy, but for some reason I have a hard time flashing those devices. It takes 10s of tries to get the Gotek to communicate with the flashing software.

But once is working then the flashing is no problem.

You don't have to use the serial to TTL if that's what you're doing. See video above and/or method 2 here: https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy/wiki/Firmware-Programming

Edited by Sinphaltimus

I know about the USB programming, but I don't have this kind of USB cable, and I know I can get one for few $$.

The serial method works, but like I said before, I have an issue getting started. Probably the baud negotiation is not matching or something like that.

My next move is to get and install the LCD on both of them.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Believe it or not, I never did this before. Whenever I purchased one I just got them pre-flashed. But today I was stuck in the house due to the blizzard and I actually had a Gotek laying around that did not have any special firmware (was using it previously in a PC) and figured what the heck I'll give it a try. I found a great Youtube tutorial that shows how to flash this using a male-male USB cable (that I also have for some reason!) here:

And I used the flash floppy firmware from here:

https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy

Worked perfectly. Flashed in seconds and now I have a spare FlashFloppy Gotek for something else. This firmware is fantastic BTW. Its free (big plus), completely compatible with HxC and actually feels faster to me when navigating large directories. Really cool. I thought this might be helpful to someone as a standard Gotek without custom firmware can be had for around $16 shipped.

That is very cool. I managed to get FlashFloppy written to the GoTek drive successfully. It shows FF when it boots up.

However, after that, nothing happens.

The USB stick has HXCSDFE.CFG and the Amiga version of AUTOBOOT.HFE in the root directory and also a few ADFs.

How did you prep your USB stick so that it worked on your Amiga? In my case it's an old 1 GB USB stick that was formatted in Windows XP and then files were copied to it using Windows Explorer.