IGNORED

Games with great attract modes?

jmccorm

My only thought was Henry's House.

Great attract mode but no actual game play so I guess it doesn't meet your criteria

Same with Mousetrap / Mousequest afair... (but at least one can see all levels).

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-mouse-trap_8588.html

Can you suggest some Atari 8-bit games with good or great attract modes?

Attract mode has a more specific meaning on the coin-op side. It is often where you see the game demonstrate itself with actual gameplay (either on rails, or in a computer vs computer demonstration) in an attempt to pull in a player.

Great examples: Archon, Archon II, Spy vs Spy III: Artic Antics [Actively plays Computer vs. Computer.]

Good examples: Boulderdash II, Jumpman, Protector II, Pitfall II [Actual gameplay.]

Poor examples: Jumpman Junior, Mail Order Monsters, MULE [Visually interesting, but no gameplay.]

Bad examples: The Last V8, Zork [shows game screen, but is static.]

Can you recommend a few more games with good or great attract modes?

Seems, the thread has to be re opened, as the question was about "great attract modes" .

I suppose you only read the headlines of newspaper articles too?

What ??? No One mentioned Bounty Bob Strikes Back yet ??

The high score table is the niftiest one I've ever seen. I remember being mesmerized.....how did he program the logic behind the birds moving around the characters in such a seemingly chaotic way, still ending up with the correct table ??

And of course the way of entering your name was brilliant too....

Loved it.....it seemed so pointless but touches like that were great IMHO.....

OK maybe not exactly attract mode but still something happening outside of the actual game....

table per char... random pick one empty char, setup bird. let bird fly to positon, set char, loop til all set.

http://boinxx.blogspot.de

was my reference for that "enemy routine" :)

and used here:

http://a8.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=5685

10 years ago... :D

Edited by Heaven/TQA
  • Like 1

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/60515-boinxx-work-in-progress/?p=901828

As close to da*mn near complete as you can get while yanking the hungry wolves back from that tasty meat!

Good stuff, I'm sure it'll be completed...

Edited by _The Doctor__

Can you suggest some Atari 8-bit games with good or great attract modes?

Attract mode has a more specific meaning on the coin-op side. It is often where you see the game demonstrate itself with actual gameplay (either on rails, or in a computer vs computer demonstration) in an attempt to pull in a player.

Great examples: Archon, Archon II, Spy vs Spy III: Artic Antics [Actively plays Computer vs. Computer.]

Good examples: Boulderdash II, Jumpman, Protector II, Pitfall II [Actual gameplay.]

Poor examples: Jumpman Junior, Mail Order Monsters, MULE [Visually interesting, but no gameplay.]

Bad examples: The Last V8, Zork [shows game screen, but is static.]

Can you recommend a few more games with good or great attract modes?

Heh- I've never considered an attract mode for Zork- that would be funny. What, maybe it enters random phrases?

Disagree strongly about MULE, that title sequence and music is one of the best on the Atari! I'd watch it for ages, trying to figure out how they did the letter fill for the main title!

As a demonstration of the game, it doesn't do much.

But I think it's one of the best examples of Pokey music. Love the bassline

ZOrk- eat me, auto-cannibalism is not the answer... ;) Love it! random directions with a couple of silly requests to peak interest..

Honestly, I think that Interactive Fiction might have survived to this day as a mainstream genre if they had just worked in an attract mode. Infocom was legendary for their humor and would have been in the ideal position to leverage a self-demo into convert new fans. Even if the short-term decline had continued, a multiplayer rebirth could have roared back in the 90s fueled alongside the amateur MUD scene.

I believe that product development still had a good ROI (return on investment) when they killed it? I blame Activision for a lack of long-term faith in the genre.

But... yeah... disk space for a larger interpreter and more things to cram on an already tight data disk (until the later years, at least).

• 2 months later...

...and Dig Dug come to mind.

By random chance, I just found out something interesting about the attract mode for Dig Dug (1983 version): you can actually control the bicycle pump while he moves about the screen; you're able to kill enemies while doing so too. It's quite hard to do much, as he does so much random plowing. You can control his speed somewhat in the open areas by repeatedly firing the pump, and thereby avoid or kill enemies on occasion.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Just had Trains running for a while a few nights ago, its actually a nice Attract mode & drive test, as it randomly loads various areas, lets the train roll around them for 10-20 seconds, before returning to the title screen, and loading another random map and repeating. Each time loading a bit from the disk, so its a litlte intermittent load test for the drive too.

• 7 months later...

One that may get missed because of the memory needs for the xex or Atarimax cart is Atari Blast...Lovely demo mode..Really shows off the Atari...

In fact I'd say its one of the best out there.. Music and great gfx...

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Not sure if these have been mentioned yet. Some have limited self play, others just have cycling "arcade" attract modes and never go to the normal Atari color cycling:

Atari Invaders (limited self play)

Beachhead

Clowns and Balloons

Defender (if you manually set it to DEMO mode)

Gorf

Leaderboard

Mr. Cool

Nibbler

Pharaoh's Curse

Pole Position

Protector II

Rally Speedway

Robot Battle

Snake Byte

Sneakers

Space Eggs