IGNORED

Removing the sheilding around the VIC II chip

VicViper

Been watching alot of videos about working on C64s, it seems like most people remove the sheild/heatsink around the VIC II chip? Is this generally the best idea? I bought a pack of IC heat sinks for the other chips, but havent removed this particular piece yet. Is it as simple as flipping the board over and twisting some pins?

No need to flip anything over. Pull the top part of the shield up, out and discard. About the most important chip you should be affixing a heat sink to, but the factory job is pretty damned good. If anything, can just clean off the old crusty compound, apply new and reinstall the shield. How long you keep your system on at a time anyway? I'd only be concerned about extended periods before going through all this trouble.

No need to flip anything over. Pull the top part of the shield up, out and discard. About the most important chip you should be affixing a heat sink to. But the factory job is pretty damn good. Can just clean off the old crusty compound, apply new and reinstall the shield. How long you keep your system on at a time anyway? I'd only be concerned about extended periods before going through all this trouble.

Yeah i know i barely have it on long enough to justify it, really just tinkering. I've already got it open to replace a chip, i figure I'd put in a little extra love.