IGNORED

Dungeons & Dragons game idea...

rodge2001

Hi all. I'm fairly new here and a bit late to the homebrew party but I was wondering if anyone would like to see a ColecoVision game based on Mattel's 1980 Dungeons & Dragons Computer Labyrinth Board Game? And maybe included as a bonus game could be the simpler 1981 Dungeons & Dragons Computer Fantasy Handheld Game also by Mattel.

I'm asking the community in general but specifically any publishers or programmers that would be interested in taking on such a project. I assume it would have to be built from the ground up since I'm not aware of any such game that could be ported or used as a foundation although there is a similar PC Flash game called Ghouls & Graveyards: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAIEx2fRoQE

And here is a video demonstration of the actual vintage Mattel game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjTMgoTe0vU

I myself think the Labyrinth game is ingeniously programmed and super fun to play. It has a single-player mode as well as a two-player mode which can be either competitive or cooperative. It has a normal level and an advanced level that includes random doors. The labyrinth itself is randomly generated every time you play giving the game endless replay value.

I'm sure our beloved programmers & publishers already have enough going on with their own projects and already planned releases but hopefully this could be considered in the future for possible development and eventual release. I would definitely buy a copy myself. I only wish I could do this myself to offer up to the community but I know nothing about programming and such.

post-52765-0-60371500-1515196017.jpg

post-52765-0-77270200-1515196020.jpg

Edited by rodge2001
  • Like 2

Hi all. I'm fairly new here and a bit late to the homebrew party but I was wondering if anyone would like to see a ColecoVision game based on Mattel's 1980 Dungeons & Dragons Computer Labyrinth Board Game? And maybe included as a bonus game could be the simpler 1981 Dungeons & Dragons Computer Fantasy Handheld Game also by Mattel.

I'm asking the community in general but specifically any publishers or programmers that would be interested in taking on such a project. I assume it would have to be built from the ground up since I'm not aware of any such game that could be ported or used as a foundation although there is a similar PC Flash game called Ghouls & Graveyards: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAIEx2fRoQE

And here is a video demonstration of the actual vintage Mattel game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjTMgoTe0vU

I myself think the Labyrinth game is ingeniously programmed and super fun to play. It has a single-player mode as well as a two-player mode which can be either competitive or cooperative. It has a normal level and an advanced level that includes random doors. The labyrinth itself is randomly generated every time you play giving the game endless replay value.

I'm sure our beloved programmers & publishers already have enough going on with their own projects and already planned releases but hopefully this could be considered in the future for possible development and eventual release. I would definitely buy a copy myself. I only wish I could do this myself to offer up to the community but I know nothing about programming and such.

Maybe. I think I would be more interested in something with gameplay more like the Goldbox or Eye of the Beholder games from vintage home computers. There might be more graphic compromise, but it would be true to the original board game.

A Hero Quest adaptation would be awesome. I'd love to see just about anything that's more "dungeon-y & dragon-y" on the ColecoVision be it in a board game style or something more like the Dungeon Master series or indeed Advanced D&D: Eye of The Beholder even if scaled down for CV.

Escape From The Mindmaster comes to mind for its enjoyable 1st person dungeon crawling but also for its randomized placement of needed objects which adds re-playability. In any sort of D&D type game I would prefer if key items, etc., and NPC's where randomized and also dungeon layouts, doorways, etc. and over-world locations as well.

Randomness and chance would offer more of the D&D experience. I'd rather ROM space go towards deeper gameplay, armory, bestiary, etc. than taken up by a singular linear storyline. As far as any story goes I'd be happy with only scattered NPC's offering nuggets of info. Or better yet some sort of booklet included that would explain the story and maybe even be interactive with clues, cyphers, etc. like Goldbox D&D games.

Edited by rodge2001

• 3 years later...