IGNORED

8bit-Slicks: Promo Video

8bit-Dude

Just remember you've done this for the challenge and fun of it ;) A retail pack is part of the fun, donations and some,Thi outright purchases are the icing on the cake!

This might be a team up situation between a couple people to make it happen, the hardware involved and all.

Yesss yessss it is obsessive, and you have more to do. It's calling out to you... the wife is lamenting the loss of you as your ever dwindling presence.... I mean er um it's perfectly natural to program for days on end and not see the light of of day except for what bleeds through the window, your blood shot eyes aching.... I mean er um eh

Programming is great! :)

Seriously though nice job, as with most projects you'll be changing things a bit for a decent while though

Edited by _The Doctor__

Tonight's testing session went really smooth, looks like game is ever so close to release!

But there are still a few more things I can polish, so I will hold off for another week or two.

Exactly. No problems at all.

Thank you for your achievement (Atari and C64 online together from all parts of the world).

• 6 months later...

Just checking back in, have there been any changes... I couldn't test on the last time around and have not received any updates in email.

It would be great to stir up some more interest if the work continues... I was also wondering if it were possible to serve within a home network only, so you can play against your whole family and friends, could be pretty cool!

Takes a taste and stirs the pot some more...

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

I have got some exciting news: I completed both the C64 and Atari versions after a long hiatus (doing some final testing this coming week-end).

I am trying to finish debugging the Apple version, but that is somewhat more difficult (the platform has no hardware sprites).

In ANY CASE, I will release the game shortly before Xmas, so we can all enjoy a winter break of online racing with our old C64s and Ataris!!!

You can see currently registered users here:http://8bit-slicks.com/?page_id=207

Now is the time to register your 4 letter username!!!

• Like 4

Hey Mr. Dude...

Tony, I don't see my registration from testing... I vaguely remember you had to do something about my name, underscore and length perhaps?

I have a feature request!

In order to help people schedules games! :)

A cool meetup schedule would be nice on the site so of someone wants to race with folks this weekend around 8pm EST....

A schedule/ request section on the site allows us to put the wanted game on a schedule! The schedule then emails or social media shouts out to folks to sign up for that game. when someone responds it will email / shout out the drivers handle and say the handle handle signed up for the race..

so...

I go to your site, I click schedule a race, I set date and time, schedule app shouts it out to the registered users, Speed racer sees it goes to site selects race and signs up for it, schedule app shouts out Speed Racer has joined the Doctors Race for such and such day and time. If I wanted a game at 8:00 and Speed Racer wants it sooner or later, I should simply shout out whatever time he says he can join the game. If 15 people join for 8:30 instead of 8:00 we will all see and know. Since it's just a way to get things going and it doesn't perform any other function than to get us together I think it would help alot! Perhaps make a click for reminder where it sends a reminder shout as the time approaches for the race (only sent to the person requesting reminder)

Edited by _The Doctor__

spam? Sausage and spam, bacon and spam, eggs and spam, spam spam spam, spam eggs sausage and spam....

Okay, seriously though, I wouldn't think a reminder would be a bad thing, especially since the user could have the option to turn it on/off etc etc. Hoping to be as friendly and helpful as possible. Such systems were a staple for online play and tournaments back in the day. Not sure what they do anymore, as I am no longer in that world.

The idea being to get folks playing and a little buzz about it, and maybe so we won't forget :) I wouldn't mind opting in for a buzz saying Speed Racer wants a match this Saturday and then when real life distracts me during the week.. come Saturday a note pops up in one of my feeds, phone etc. It's all about making it easy.

Hmmmm, I am a bit peckish, perhaps I'll have some, a slice, just a bite of... :)

Edited by _The Doctor__

There are event calendar plugins for wordpress, you could set up one of those and allow people to subscribe to the whole calendar or just a download a single event on whatever device they like.

There might be a little code required to set up the event scheduling part of the enterprise

This might lead to something helpful regarding the timezone problem

https://wordpress.org/support/topic/multiple-time-zones/

Edited by Mr Robot
  • Like 1

So,

the game has been released now for free download (A8, C64, A2 versions available):

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/286127-game-release-8bit-slicks-online-racer-for-applee-atari-xl-c64/

And for the impatient Atarians, here is a direct download link: http://8bit-slicks.com/?wpdmpro=atari-xlxe-disk#

(simply click on the diskette).

Edited by CharlieChaplin
  • Like 2

Cool game!

Just have had some single player game against easy computer players. Needed some practice to win against them.

Now I would love to play against some human players ... It would be super cool if there were more local multiplayer options like multijoy, multilink or midimate to play with my friends in the same room.

Thanks for great game!

Yup, and the adventure carries on with a port to the Oric Atmos next!

As there exist no Ethernet Adaptor for this platform, I am in the process of making a universal "Arduino Ethernet" that plugs into any 8bit joystick port.
The flipside is that this will give an alternative for people who do not own a DragonCart.

See the unfolding story here: http://forum.defence-force.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1249&start=15#p18551

• Like 2

• 3 years later...