IGNORED

Sophia rev.C - DVI board

Simius

Me too.  I'm beginning to re-think it because I run the DVI output through a DVI+Audio converter that converts it to 1080p HDMI.  Well, we'll see.  I think it'll be okay.  If not, I can run the DVI directly to the TV via a DVI->HDMI cable and the audio to a pair of external speakers.

No. French, SECAM GTIA has a different pinout than PAL or NTSC one. There was a 10 pcs. of the Sophia RGB version for SECAM systems. All are already sold. You would have to order at least 5 pcs. of the SECAM DVI board. So far no one asked about that. 

Thanks for the answer, like what as a question never asked can happen at any time ?

Another question about the Sofia RGB SECAM, knowing that the original video quality of the model

Atari 130XE Secam is execrable, will the Sofia RGB SECAM once installed broadcast a very good video quality ?

If all goes in the right direction it is possible that I make an order for at least 5 pcs.

Edited by ricky

14 minutes ago, ricky said:

Thanks for the answer, like what as a question never asked can happen at any time ?

Another question about the Sofia RGB SECAM, knowing that the original video quality of the model

Atari 130XE Secam is execrable, will the Sofia RGB SECAM once installed broadcast a very good video quality ?

If all goes in the right direction it is possible that I make an order for at least 5 pcs.

Hi Ricky,

I have already installed several RGB SECAM boards and the picture is perfect !

I also wanted more boards and Simius told me that the minimum batch is 5.

If you want to get less than 5 boards (I personally want 2 or 3) then we can buy at the same time so that Simius has an order of at least 5 boards and he can trigger the production.

Please PM me (in French) to go ahead (and tell me where you are located in France).

Edited by ebiguy
typo
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

SS took care of me (thanks :)). But I still have a Sophia-DVI that needs a good home. Don't need anymore Sophia-RGB boards, but I could use another U1MB. If someone has one they'd like to trade for the Sophia-DVI PM me.

Edit: My Sophia-DVI board has found a new home in exchange for a U1MB. All is well in Atari land :) .

• 2 weeks later...

Received the Sophia DVI with 16:9 (1600x900) aspect ratio on Friday.  Tried to install it in one of my 800XL machines late Saturday evening.  No video signal to the TV.  It was late and I was tired so I just put the 800XL back the way it was and went to bed.

Troubleshot a bit this afternoon using my 5:4 Sophia DVI 1200XL as a test bed.  It turns out that the issue is not the Sophia, but the Monoprice DVI+Audio to HDMI converter box I was using to connect to my TV.  It can't handle the 16:9 video signal.  I tried the 16:9 Sophia connected to my Dell monitor and it works like a champ.  Looks great, beautiful picture. 

So I need to find a DVI->HDMI converter that will handle the 16:9 signal properly or maybe a DVI->Component adapter? 

I have a simple DVI-->HDMI converter cable that I use with my 16:9 SOPHIA board and 720p HD television. Everything works just fine for me with this setup. I have been thinking about getting a converter box so that I can get both the video and audio from the HDMI input. You have me a little worried about it now though.  

• Like 1

Yeah, my little Monoprice box just flat won't take the 16:9 signal.  I'm going to use the DVI->HDMI cable and external speakers for now.  For me, the whole point of trying the 16:9 Sophia was an attempt to bypass the converter boxes I'm currently using.  It's been so long since I ordered that I'd forgotten why I'd picked that aspect ratio in the 1st place.

If you do find a DVI+Audio->HDMI converter that works with 16:9 please let us know.

• Like 1

I reinstalled the 16:9 Sophia in my 800XL.  Here are the results I've observed:

1.  Connected to my TV through my Monoprice DVI+Audio box.  No video signal on the TV.

2.  Connected it directly to my TV via a DVI->HDMI cable.  No video signal on the TV. 

3.  Connected to a monitor via a regular DVI cable.  Works like a champ and I am getting the 16:9 display. 

4.  Connected to my TV through my Orei XD-1090 converter box via a DVI->HDMI cable.  Output of the box is 1080P to the TV.  Works like a champ, but it looks identical to the 5:4 Sophia output.

At this point I'm assuming it's the TV that cannot take the signal.  I am at a loss about this, you would think that a 16:9 Sony 4K TV would accept and upscale a 16:9 1600x900 video signal but nope.

Maybe I'm missing something, but for now I don't see and real advantage in getting the 16:9 Sophia over the 5:4 Sophia unless you plan on using a monitor.  I am getting the correct 16:9 display on the monitor and it looks great.

Edited by Colleton
  • Like 1

The Sophia I installed in this video was configured for 1280x1024, IIRC:

I don't think I tried the passive DVI to HDMI cable in the video, but it did work. The 16:9 LG LCD TV I used for testing displayed the output just fine in '4:3' mode (with black bars at either side of the screen); obviously the picture did not have the proper AR in 16:9 mode. I'm guessing 1600x900 resolution simply outputs the black borders as part of the signal so one need not mess around with the AR settings of the TV. The Atari video display cannot fill a 16:9 panel using the correct AR without padding at the sides or severe zoom (resulting in no top and bottom borders at all).

• Like 1