IGNORED

Sophia rev.C - DVI board

Simius

• 4 weeks later...

Hi folks,  since fitting my Sophia, whilst playing many of the graphically more intensive games... the screen (NEC MultiSync LCD1970) will suddenly go totally blank (black)... and then return to normal a few seconds later... and then cut out again a few seconds later... and so on.  It doesn't happen so often on the less graphically intensive games, nor on the menu screen of my Ultimate Cart. Has anyone experienced this before, with or without Sophia... or have any suggestions how I can fix?  Do any old components need replacing?

Thanks,

Graham.

Okay many thanks FlashJazzCat.  I watched your video through.  My black screen cut out seems exactly like yours, although I haven't noticed any other graphical glitches that you've mentioned. Did your 'cut out' only happen on the more graphically intensive games/demos too?  So it seems like I need an 'older' firmware version.  Do you know what that 'timing fix' was for exactly in the latest version?  and why aren't all Sophia users affected by this 'video cut out'...?

Seems like a right hassle to re flash  the firmware.  It would be much appreciated if you can let me know where I can get the correct version of firmware, plus the cable/connector and the necessary PC software.

Great video btw, I think U1MB will be the next mod for my 800xl followed (at some point) by the stereo mod.

Many thanks,

Graham 

You should contact Simius regarding firmware version, recommendations on programming equipment, etc. Basically you'll need a USB Blaster and suitable cable.

The problem was caused by a loss of Phi2 timing sync, as far as I remember, so issues could occur at any time. It's essentially a case of having to tune the device to idiosyncratic timing on the host machine. Good news is that a firmware flash is almost guaranteed to fix the problem.

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Frankie said:

Fit one in an 800. I removed a little more metal then needed, but this way I could remove the entire board without taking the case apart again.

Don't tell the FCC ;)

Would it be possible to place this somewhere else (e.g. the "empty part" to the left of the card cage) and connect to the GTIA socket with a ribbon cable? Or would this cause to much interference, distort signal timing, etc.?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 10:20 PM, Retro_Game_Lover96 said:

By the way, is it possible to reprogram the Sophia resolution with the USB blaster?

I just happened to read your post and see that no one responded to it yet.

I can't vouch for whether or not you can get a Sophia to work with a 5200, but I can tell you that it is possible to reprogram the Sophia resolution using a USB Blaster. You'll have to make up your own cable to do it, then you'll have to get the firmware for the resolution that you want from Simius.

I had mine programmed to 1536x960, and I couldn't get it to work with a single display in my house. I have a selection of ten different TVs and monitors and got absolutely nothing out of any of them. So I contacted Simius and he sent me the 1280x1024 firmware. After reprogramming my Sophia it worked with all but one of my displays and it looked beautiful!

11 hours ago, Andrew Smith said:

Hi. I am new here.  How do I go about buying one those for my 130XE.  Also I do I need to desolder any chips/ Thank you.

1- Send PM to simius

2-yes, you have to remove GTIA chip and add a socket, xe computers are never socketed from the factory

3- You will also need to make a hole in the case for the cable 

8 hours ago, mimo said:

1- Send PM to simius

2- yes, you have to remove GTIA chip and add a socket, xe computers are never socketed from the factory

3- You will also need to make a hole in the case for the cable 

Item 3 can be eliminated by removing the RF modulator and then using the hole where the RCA jack used to stick through. Although the best way to go would be to also carefully cut-out a rectangular hole to mount the DVI jack, and use the pins sticking down underneath the connector board to mount it to where the modulator was once soldered in. I think FlashJazzCat did a nice video on something like this.

19 hours ago, bfollowell said:

I just happened to read your post and see that no one responded to it yet.

I can't vouch for whether or not you can get a Sophia to work with a 5200, but I can tell you that it is possible to reprogram the Sophia resolution using a USB Blaster. You'll have to make up your own cable to do it, then you'll have to get the firmware for the resolution that you want from Simius.

I had mine programmed to 1536x960, and I couldn't get it to work with a single display in my house. I have a selection of ten different TVs and monitors and got absolutely nothing out of any of them. So I contacted Simius and he sent me the 1280x1024 firmware. After reprogramming my Sophia it worked with all but one of my displays and it looked beautiful!

Sounds reasonable, but what program I use to reprogram and making the cable?

5 hours ago, Retro_Game_Lover96 said:

BTW, when the Sophia is plugged into a USB Blaster, does the Sophia required power while it is connected to the Atari or something?

Yes it does require power be supplied separately, since the USB Blaster connection doesn't do so itself. And of course the simplest way to do that is to have it installed in the A8 with its power connected and switched on. Following a successful reflashing, the chip will be reset and the Sophia will reintialize, thus producing video output assuming all went well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mytek said:

Yes it does require power be supplied separately, since the USB Blaster connection doesn't do so itself. And of course the simplest way to do that is to have it installed in the A8 with its power connected and switched on. Following a successful reflashing, the chip will be reset and the Sophia will reintialize, thus producing video output assuming all went well.

Thanks! I've tried reflashing in the past (I still have the yellow characters rev. b version), but failed. Didn't look into it since, but this must have been the problem why the software didn't find the device!

Edited by ivop
typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mytek said:

That would work, so I have to connect my Sophia on the Atari 5200, and connect it to the computer with the USB Blaster to change the different resolution to get it working on the TV.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Retro_Game_Lover96 said:

That would work, so I have to connect my Sophia on the Atari 5200, and connect it to the computer with the USB Blaster to change the different resolution to get it working on the TV.

Yep that should do it ? .

On 1/19/2020 at 5:38 AM, Retro_Game_Lover96 said:

Sounds reasonable, but what program I use to reprogram and making the cable?

I’m sorry that I didn’t respond earlier. I’ve been in Shenzhen, China for the past week and have eleven more days before I return home. I just finally got my VPN working. I’m glad some of the others were able to help you.

If you still need assistance after I’ve returned, and no one else has been able to help you, I’ll certainly try.

It seems the 10 pin micro match connectors are surely difficult to find on eBay and Amazon with faster delivery, and it could be used to connect the Sophia with the USB Blaster.

BTW, is it possbile to use the Scart cable instead of DVI connector while I connect the Sophia with the 8 mini din pin as RGB?

Edited by Retro_Game_Lover96

WARNING!

Don't remove the Sophia board from the MB/DIP socket when the monitor is connected. First unplug the ribbon cable with the red connector or unplug the monitor cable from the DVI/DB9 socket. It is important! Otherwise you can damage the ANTIC chip, especially some of the ANx outputs. There have been such cases.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2020 at 4:48 AM, Retro_Game_Lover96 said:

BTW, is it possbile to use the Scart cable instead of DVI connector while I connect the Sophia with the 8 mini din pin as RGB?

Did I understand correctly - do you want to connect the DVI board as RGB?