IGNORED

Sophia rev.C - DVI board

Simius

On 2/5/2020 at 2:16 PM, Retro_Game_Lover96 said:

Does anyone what program to use the USB Blaster to reprogram the Sophia?

Simius, my Sophia has a 1536x960 resolution, so I do have to stuff to reprogram the Sophia, and I think I need to reprogram it from 1536x960 to 1280x960.

Anyway, I need to know how to reprogram my Sophia.

I tried to PM Simius about this, but it looks like his mailbox may be full.  Does anyone have a link to installation instructions?  Also, I'm planing putting both this and an Incognito in my 800 -- other than having to modify the case/shielding, does anyone think I'll run into problems?

16 hours ago, jamm said:

I tried to PM Simius about this, but it looks like his mailbox may be full.  Does anyone have a link to installation instructions?  Also, I'm planing putting both this and an Incognito in my 800 -- other than having to modify the case/shielding, does anyone think I'll run into problems?

There was no documentation available when I fitted mine in December 2018, not sure if there is any now.  I found that reading this whole thread gave me all the info I needed really.  You're welcome to read my account here: 

I think I also found this video very helpful too: 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I’m wondering — are there any industrious geniuses out there who would let me hire them to mod my four-port Atari 5200 with this Sophia board? And which resolution should I get for a Sony 4K TV? And is it possible to mod the 5200 using whatever cables/devices are available so that there is one port coming out of the console that carries both audio and video, that I can convert to HDMI using a special cable or some other gizmo? This is the last console of my childhood for which I haven’t found an HDMI solution, as not only are there no FPGA clones available for it like there are for the NES, SNES and Sega Genesis, there are no clones available at all, not even a regular emulation-based clone like the Retron 77 for the 2600 (I do hear that’s actually a good clone once you update the firmware with the latest community build and I am hot to pick it up).

• 5 months later...
On 6/6/2020 at 6:34 AM, WaverBoy said:

I’m wondering — are there any industrious geniuses out there who would let me hire them to mod my four-port Atari 5200 with this Sophia board? And which resolution should I get for a Sony 4K TV? And is it possible to mod the 5200 using whatever cables/devices are available so that there is one port coming out of the console that carries both audio and video, that I can convert to HDMI using a special cable or some other gizmo? This is the last console of my childhood for which I haven’t found an HDMI solution, as not only are there no FPGA clones available for it like there are for the NES, SNES and Sega Genesis, there are no clones available at all, not even a regular emulation-based clone like the Retron 77 for the 2600 (I do hear that’s actually a good clone once you update the firmware with the latest community build and I am hot to pick it up).

Sorry, I missed your post. Maybe it's out of date, but it's hard to say, which resolution you can get on your TV. On my 4K Sony and Samsung TVs I can obtain any resolution supported by the Sophia. There is a chance that your TV will work with any too. AFAIK the only option that allows you to get an audio and video on HDMI is something like the Monoprice converter. 

5 hours ago, amang said:

I am wondering if I can output from the DVI port to a standard VGA monitor?

It's possible only with the Sophia2 board. The Rev.C board has only digital output. 

3 hours ago, Simius said:

Sorry, I missed your post. Maybe it's out of date, but it's hard to say, which resolution you can get on your TV. On my 4K Sony and Samsung TVs I can obtain any resolution supported by the Sophia. There is a chance that your TV will work with any too. AFAIK the only option that allows you to get an audio and video on HDMI is something like the Monoprice converter. 

Some TVs will accept an analog sound input together with a DVI video input. Check your manual.

Sorry, I haven't read all 19 pages but probably will.  ?

So I have a few questions on the Sophia.

1)  I have both a 600XL and 800XL (both NTSC) and I must admit, I like the idea of upgrading my 600XL and it's smaller form.  But, the 800XL might be easier.  So, any pros/cons to upgrading the 600 vs 800 XL?  I realize I will need to upgrade the RAM too but that's also appealing to me.

2)  Are they still available?  (where/how much?)

3)  Which revision should I get?  I have a bunch of old VGA-only monitors.  However, if DVI is worth it, I could find me a DVI/HDMI monitor as well.  But I don't mind VGA as long as the image is sharp.

Thanks!

• 2 months later...
On 8/18/2018 at 1:23 AM, Frankie said:

Has anyone installed one of these in an 800xl? If I add an additional socket to clear the 74ls158n chip then it hits the keyboard. I'll try removing the socket from the 74ls158n but I don't know if that will give me enough room. Even without using an extra socket on Sophia it seems really close to the keyboard.

Frank

Yes same issue, had to place tape to the underside of the keyboard to prevent any shorts.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
1 hour ago, manterola said:

Is there any ideas or solutions to install Sophia 2 in 130xe/65xe without case modifications? Like a non-destructive way to put the DVI connector out od the case maybe? 

Or other clever solution like the one for 800XLs using a 3d printed piece? 

Hi Manterola,

I am not aware of a specific 3D piece for the 130XE, but looking at the 130 XE, as a possible suggestion, you may be able to run the flat cable through the back via the ECI expansion. That is of course if you do not have any devices that are currently using it or plan to use in the future. If you go that route, you will definitely need a longer cable and possibly make it since there is no room for the cable with the connector to fit though. It would then be a matter of making 3D printed breakout box that could slip over the ECI slot or just an external breakout box.

• 1 month later...

Hi.

I own the following Atari computers

- Atari 800 XL, SCART output (composite only, probably SECAM since it is a model that was sold in France)

- Atari XEGS, composite cinch output (I assume PAL since it is a model that sold in Italy)

Would the Sophia board work on both models ?
I would opt for the RGB output revision.

JihemB

Edited by JihemB

Hi Simius.

47 minutes ago, Simius said:

Yes, but on the SECAM models works only special version of the RGB board. 

OK. Thanks for the information but what about PAL XEGS ? Can it be upgraded with the Sophia board too ?

How or where to order the "special SECAM board version" if this is the sole option I've got ?