IGNORED

Which would you buy

Jim Pez

Counted by size of games library, hardware capacities and overall documentation, the C64 obviously wins. But if I already got a 1983 era system and wanted to try something earlier, I would probably go with the VIC-20. While it was my first computer, it took nearly 10 years after I sold it that I realized I wanted one again.

It really is a difficult question to answer, since you have to weigh in how much one knows about each, what other systems one got, what would be the reasons to get either or ideally both.

I would go for the Commodore 64. BITD I got started with the VIC-20 but it did not satisfy my wants and needs and it was going "out of style" in the way my TI-99/4A had gone: limited main-stream support and commercial development. The VIC-20 had been supplanted by the technically superior Commodore 64 and I could still walk into a retail store up until around 1992 and buy C64 software off-the-shelf.

These days things have changed quite a bit. There is no major commercial development for either platform, stuff is not impossible to find, and pretty much all of the software that was available back then for purchase can be found on-line.

Though what is even more exciting is, lacking the pressures of a commercial environment and the march of progress, people are able to focus on squeezing even more from each platform, building upon decades of work of others in some cases.

While I appreciate the technically amazing things and cool things which have been done with the VIC-20, I find the complexity of the C64 still continues to yield far more interesting results.

Commodore 64. Kinda feel like that should be obvious for, like, a litany of reasons.

That's not a knock on the VIC-20, however. It's also a very fun and interesting system, and great to collect for (love those giant cartridges! :-D), with quite a number of unique or otherwise exclusive games. But comparing the two, you can clearly see it was a stepping stone. The VIC-20 is the Z95 Headhunter to the C64's X-Wing. :P

• Like 1

I recently got rid of 99% of my collection. Among the few systems I kept were two C-64s, one PAL, one NTSC, as well as a Commodore 128DCR. I let my VIC-20s go. I consider the C-64, along with a good Apple II and Atari 8-bit or two, absolute core systems for most vintage computer enthusiasts. They're just the right amount of power and versatility, as well as have phenomenal ecosystems around them that persist to this day.

• Like 2

I recently got rid of 99% of my collection. Among the few systems I kept were two C-64s, one PAL, one NTSC, as well as a Commodore 128DCR. I let my VIC-20s go. I consider the C-64, along with a good Apple II and Atari 8-bit or two, absolute core systems for most vintage computer enthusiasts. They're just the right amount of power and versatility, as well as have phenomenal ecosystems around them that persist to this day.

AMIIIIIIIIIGA!!! ;)

• Like 2

I will have a blog post on Armchair Arcade probably late this weekend detailing exactly what I kept and why, as well as before/after of the basement.

Basically, I wanted to focus on 8-bits. I didn't keep anything 16-bit+. Since I wanted to keep only a few platforms, something like the VIC-20 really didn't make the cut. The 128DCR had a few advantages to why I kept it, including its ability to run CP/M software. Versatility and minimalism is prized in my new setup.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Damn, that would have been hard to do! I can't imagine how I would go getting rid of all or most of my systems (all the rest are consoles), but I have decided lately that if I were to keep one system, it would be the C64 for much the same reasons. I haven't touched ANY of my systems lately due to other expensive distractions, but hopefully soon :)