3 members have voted

1. 1. Choose your Game for Round 5

• Pinball
    • Buzz Bombers
    • Ice Trek
    • Tropical Trouble (read scoring)
    • Congo Bongo

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Its again a bit late, sorry dudes, so I quickly choose a couple of games (didnt talked to Scalpel this time, sorry for that).

As for Tropical Trouble: The game unfortunately allows camping and gaining infinite score with no risk of dying. Due to that this game will reward the progress. Every completed run gives you a symbol and if you are game over the final screen shows exactly how far you went. The longest run wins, if two players reached the same level the LOWER score will be rewarded with the better ranking.

Voting ends on 13th of January at 23:59 CET.

So you are better off not getting points but going furthest in TT...

The problem is: Getting just points is (pun incoming) pointless. You can chase the woman forever and they will drop from time to time a handkerchief. This gives you points and if you slow down before reaching her, you never catch her, but you also can't die in this stage in the early levels. So if you are patient enough you can get infinite points there. I discovered this in our last challenge 2014 and so I suggested the alternative scoring system, which was accepted bei cparsley back then. And I still think its the only fair system for this game.

The problem is: Getting just points is (pun incoming) pointless. You can chase the woman forever and they will drop from time to time a handkerchief. This gives you points and if you slow down before reaching her, you never catch her, but you also can't die in this stage in the early levels. So if you are patient enough you can get infinite points there. I discovered this in our last challenge 2014 and so I suggested the alternative scoring system, which was accepted bei cparsley back then. And I still think its the only fair system for this game.

Yes it's better that way for sure. .

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/213831-tropical-trouble-normal-scoring-mechanism-read-only/?p=2787045

I recommend to read this post. The scoring will be a bit complicated. Every run contains 7 stages, so to determine your progress you have to look up in which stage you died. Its possible in the final screen, so don't worry too much. The linked post shows the 7 different locations of the character on the screen.

If you complete all 7 screens you get a green mountain symbol. If you complete all 7 screens 10 times you get a red mountain symbol. In fact you count the mountains and the screens, which tells you your progress. But keep in mind: You are starting at level 1, so if you die in the 6th screen without any green mountain your progress is 1.6 (1st Run, 6th Screen). If you complete 5 runs and have 5 green mountains you in fact are on the 6th run. So if you die on the 2nd screen with 5 green mountains your progress is 6.2.

If you have any questions just ask, its a bit hard to explain what I mean in english. For this challenge a full screen screenshot is needed!

When I looked up the old thread I also found my "awesome" youtube video from back then :lol: Enjoy very bad quality with just no comments!

Bottom left. The green mountains are below the score, the red ones above.

Edit: Here you have a picture which shows both kinds of symbols. One red and eight green mountains: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/214229-hsc-season-4-game-4-tropical-trouble-special-edition/?p=2791865

Edited by Ignorama

This will be the text of the first post for Tropical Trouble, I post it here because I will open the thread tomorrow to add the final score of Worm Whomper (as you may remember I can not edit threads after a certain time, so if I would open the thread right now I would be unable to edit in the standings later). I have to work soon, but you have the rules and the scoring explanation right now to start the new round.

We are playing Tropical Trouble. Game is play on hard (press 6 on the title screen).

This game wont reward the highest score, it will reward the progress. The game has 7 screens (2 on the beach, two in the jungle, two in volcano land and one final battle on the bridge). You can see the progress on the final screen after you are game over, because the character stays there. I wrote a explanation how to determine your position here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/213831-tropical-trouble-normal-scoring-mechanism-read-only/page-2?do=findComment&comment=2787045

There is also a screenshot to compare.

Everytime you beat the boss at the bridge you earn a green mountain symbol at the bottom left. If you beat the game over and over again you will get a red mountain (I think it was 9 runs or something like this). This will keep countin the completed runs for you, just take a picture of the full game over screen.

Now how you determine your score: Look up your position on the screen, this will be X.1-7, as I explained in the link above. If you die on the 4th screen in the first run your final progress is 0.4. If you die on the 4th screen with 3 green mountain-symbols your score is 3.4. If you have trouble to understand that please ask, but I guess its much easiert to understand when you see examples, which should be soon.

If two players share the same progress the lower score of them will be rewarded with the better ranking.

Why this complicated scoring? Thats simple, because unfortunately Tropical Trouble allows to camp in the first levels forever and gaining infinite points without any risk of dieying. So its completely impossible to take the points to consideration. For that reason this time the progress will be the most important thing.

Good luck and have fun. If you have any questions feel free to ask here.

I dont think its a good HSC game. Plain and simple. So I put better games in the voting.

And to be honest: I dont have the feeling it makes sense to discuss with you. I spent a lot of time in our Star Strike discussion and it was completely wasted time, because you never even considered that your opinion is wrong. You also not even participated once, so your wanted games do not really have a big priority. Its still not rejected because you suggested it, its really rejected because I think it would be a bad choice, but I dont see any point in bringing arguments to you.

And yeah, its probably arrogant, but I do this thing in my free time and I am not enjoying the conversations with you, so it kind of spoils my freetime.

Just my honest thoughts on that.

I dont think its a good HSC game. Plain and simple. So I put better games in the voting.

And to be honest: I dont have the feeling it makes sense to discuss with you. I spent a lot of time in our Star Strike discussion and it was completely wasted time, because you never even considered that your opinion is wrong. You also not even participated once, so your wanted games do not really have a big priority. Its still not rejected because you suggested it, its really rejected because I think it would be a bad choice, but I dont see any point in bringing arguments to you.

And yeah, its probably arrogant, but I do this thing in my free time and I am not enjoying the conversations with you, so it kind of spoils my freetime.

Just my honest thoughts on that.

Is this for mr_me or Mister-VCS?

Yes, you run the HSC in your free time - but you need players for the HSC,,,otherwise you are King Ignorama without a kingdom.

Just make a poll which includes "Venture" and let the community decide- this is a major part of your moderating job.

Me-me and my job will be done after this season. I dont have time for this kindergarten. Some time ago there was no poll, players played what the moderator decided and that wasnt even a problem. Today I have discussions because you dont like to choose out of 5 if your wish isnt in these 5. Well, then feel free to take my kingdom after this season, because I said from the start that I dont think I fit in this role and I have no desire in taking shit for doing it in the way I think is the best way. I wont change my behavior, but at least the end is nigh.

I am done here. Thanks for not participating and still spoiling, I appreciate it.

Edited by Ignorama

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/180225-season-2-game-1-venture/

In this intellivision venture hsc from 2011 they figured out that the score rolls over at around 655k. They still ranked everyone that rolled the score tied; not sure why. That was played at skill three not four. If anyone knows anything else wrong with the scoring with intellivision venture please let us know. If the game is excluded because it's not a good video game, that's okay too. I never had this cartridge nor played the arcade game; don't know much about it. I avoided all coleco cartridges after hearing about the donkey kong disaster back in 1982. It's up to the hsc organizer to include or exclude not so popular intellivision games. But it's good to know which ones are a problem for competition.