IGNORED

Atari SpartaDOS X case

COREi64

With respect to the SpartaDOS Logo, what do you think of this?

One is the full SpartaDOSX logo, and the other is simply the enlarged "X" from that logo.

I converted the SpartaDOS gif I found through google into a sketch, and extruded it onto the blank label cartridge top. Haven't printed either of them (because I'm starting to drown in SpartaDOSX cartridge cases). A guy only needs so many eh!

Thomas

2018-01-12_09h27_47.jpg

• Like 8

This wasn't made to fit Dropcheck's Super SpartaDOS X w/RTC board is it? As I recall it's supposed to fit the original SDX case, right? I bought her version with the case, but I also was unhappy with the lack of pins and guiding, so I used the plastic housing for the cartridge port off a parts-only 600XL I have. Check it out here: http://atari.boards.net/thread/695/fixing-flaws-super-spartados-design

I'm interested in one.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

Hi.

This cartridge case was designed around Bitsofthepast's SuperSpartaDOS X cartridge ( https://www.bitsofthepast.com/?product=super-spartados-pcb ) The board that your showing me in that link appears to be a fair bit longer, and has buttons on it. I would hazard to say that it would not fit in this case. I could most certainly make one that would work with it, but as with all my designs, I need the cartridge in front of me to ensure a proper fit. That's quite a good adaptation you've got there. I can see that without the pins it would be disappointing.

On mine, I wanted the part of the case with the pins to be replaceable. The pins on mine are very tough as it turns out. You have to apply quite a bit of pressure to snap them off ( I know because I tried! All part of the torture testing).

Are you looking for a replacement case for the cartridge in the link, or the one that I've designed?

Thomas

This wasn't made to fit Dropcheck's Super SpartaDOS X w/RTC board is it? As I recall it's supposed to fit the original SDX case, right? I bought her version with the case, but I also was unhappy with the lack of pins and guiding, so I used the plastic housing for the cartridge port off a parts-only 600XL I have. Check it out here: http://atari.boards.net/thread/695/fixing-flaws-super-spartados-design

I'm interested in one.

Hi.

This cartridge case was designed around Bitsofthepast's SuperSpartaDOS X cartridge ( https://www.bitsofthepast.com/?product=super-spartados-pcb ) The board that your showing me in that link appears to be a fair bit longer, and has buttons on it. I would hazard to say that it would not fit in this case. I could most certainly make one that would work with it, but as with all my designs, I need the cartridge in front of me to ensure a proper fit. That's quite a good adaptation you've got there. I can see that without the pins it would be disappointing.

On mine, I wanted the part of the case with the pins to be replaceable. The pins on mine are very tough as it turns out. You have to apply quite a bit of pressure to snap them off ( I know because I tried! All part of the torture testing).

Are you looking for a replacement case for the cartridge in the link, or the one that I've designed?

Thomas

The board I am showing you IS Dropcheck's board from BitsOfThePast. So if my cartridge is too long, then it's an older version of the Super SpartDOS X cartridge from BitsOfThePast (Dropcheck). So make sure people are aware that your case will NOT fit OLDER Super SpartaDOS X PCB's from BitsOfThePast. But it does look like you are right, the new pictures at BitsOfThePast do look shorter than my version.

How are pass-thru cartridge reset and SSDX cart bypass/off accomplished on the new Super SpartaDOS X boards? That is what the buttons on my SSDX are used for...

Edited by Gunstar

Hi.

Sorry, I didn't make the connection. As for the functional differences, I'm very new to the Atari scene, so perhaps someone else with more experience could discuss that question.

Thomas

COREi64

The board I am showing you IS Dropcheck's board from BitsOfThePast. So if my cartridge is too long, then it's an older version of the Super SpartDOS X cartridge from BitsOfThePast (Dropcheck). So make sure people are aware that your case will NOT fit OLDER Super SpartaDOS X PCB's from BitsOfThePast. But it does look like you are right, the new pictures at BitsOfThePast do look shorter than my version.

How are pass-thru cartridge reset and SSDX cart bypass/off accomplished on the new Super SpartaDOS X boards? That is what the buttons on my SSDX are used for...

• Like 1

Bits makes a drop in replacement without buttons & a longer board with select/reset buttons(really made it easier to access the buttons in some situations)

I currently only see the drop in on offer https://www.bitsofthepast.com/?product=super-spartados-pcb

but I am certain she can make more If there's an interest especially with these awesome cart cases!

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

Bits makes a drop in replacement without buttons & a longer board with select/reset buttons(really made it easier to access the buttons in some situations)

I currently only see the drop in on offer https://www.bitsofthepast.com/?product=super-spartados-pcb

but I am certain she can make more If there's an interest especially with these awesome cart cases!

Ahh...now I understand. I was under the impression, at the time I bought mine anyway, that the boards were exactly the same, with or without the Dropcheck case, and were drop-in replacements for original ICD cases. I didn't have the original ICD SDX, so I just bought her version with the cartridge case, and modified it.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

Hi.

Thomas

One of the weaknesses of the Super SpartaDos with the reset and on/off buttons was that it did not have the shell guide and pins that the original SpartaDOS had. At the time I did not have a workable printable shell to put the pcb into. Some months later I finally was able to design and print a version that had the shell guide, but the pins easily broke, leaving the shell only partially better than no guide at all. It's nice to see COREI64 has been able to solve that particular problem. :)

But yes there were two different pcbs. One was the complete package pcb with RTC and buttons and shell, the other was a drop in replacement pcb for the original SpartaDOS shell. That version did not have external buttons. They also were different in length and pcb layers.

I have thought several times since then of re-offering the complete package, but that was a collaboration between three people to make it happen. One in Germany, one in Greece and the third in the US. It was fun in some ways, but I don't think anyone of us really wants to do that again. After all we are two or three years older and the parts and shipping are much more expensive than they were then. It really wouldn't make economic sense now.

I could offer the pcb with buttons, if COREI64 would be willing to design and sell a shell for it. But it would not be a single source purchase.

• Like 4

If you want to produce the longer version again, I'd be more than happy to buy one off you and design a case for it!

Thomas

COREi64

One of the weaknesses of the Super SpartaDos with the reset and on/off buttons was that it did not have the shell guide and pins that the original SpartaDOS had. At the time I did not have a workable printable shell to put the pcb into. Some months later I finally was able to design and print a version that had the shell guide, but the pins easily broke, leaving the shell only partially better than no guide at all. It's nice to see COREI64 has been able to solve that particular problem. :)

But yes there were two different pcbs. One was the complete package pcb with RTC and buttons and shell, the other was a drop in replacement pcb for the original SpartaDOS shell. That version did not have external buttons. They also were different in length and pcb layers.

I have thought several times since then of re-offering the complete package, but that was a collaboration between three people to make it happen. One in Germany, one in Greece and the third in the US. It was fun in some ways, but I don't think anyone of us really wants to do that again. After all we are two or three years older and the parts and shipping are much more expensive than they were then. It really wouldn't make economic sense now.

I could offer the pcb with buttons, if COREI64 would be willing to design and sell a shell for it. But it would not be a single source purchase.

• Like 1

Taking a quick check on what you all think, which logo on the front of the cartridges do you like?

I'm thinking the straight up full SpartaDosX just like it used to be on the top

I like the SD on the first if the X becomes the stylized X next to it.

to make it a clean sweep, what should we do for the R Time 8 that uses the same case? some idea art from the community for that?

MacRorie's R time 8 reproductions sold well and he's selling more I think this cart will be wonderful for them as well. I think there are two sizes on them as well... give a shout!

http://corei64.com/store/index.php?cPath=16

When ordering there is a nice group of colors to select from, even glow in the dark. The cart case is up for sale on the site looks in the 19 dollar area.

I was looking for shipping options, is it included and is more than one method available?

If not what's the standard method and how do you calculate it?

I loaded the shopping cart up but I did not see shipping information. I normally want to know this sort of thing before registration and clicking buy.

I think your website should be added to your AtariAge signature in the member settings page :)

Edited by _The Doctor__

Hi.

Within Canada and US, you get tracked shipping. Flat rate of $16.95. An additional dollar is added for each additional item you buy. So if you bought two items, the price would be $17.95 for shipping. Yes, shipping from Canada is as crazy as it is in the States! That value shows up at the end of the transaction just before you move off to paypal to make the payment.

Thomas

COREi64

http://corei64.com/store/index.php?cPath=16

When ordering there is a nice group of colors to select from, even glow in the dark. The cart case is up for sale on the site looks in the 19 dollar area.

I was looking for shipping options, is it included and is more than one method available?

If not what's the standard method and how do you calculate it?

I loaded the shopping cart up but I did not see shipping information. I normally want to know this sort of thing before registration and clicking buy.

I think your website should be added to your AtariAge signature in the member settings page :)

• Like 1

Just an idea, not sure if it's possible but...

If you are in the Lehigh Valley Area, that's A.B.E.P or the Reading Area and you would like to order these excellent cases let me know and in an effort to save you some shipping I'll see if your items can be sent with mine... I am covering a large area here folks and that's easily an hour and a half in any given direction. You pay Corei64 for your goods + a dollar. They ship together with mine. I meet you with your item at a restaurant or some public location, you give me a little something for gas and trouble, you get your goods. We save some dollars. Win Win Win!

Send a PM,while I discover what's possible :)

I'm buying some whether you join me or not, this is good stuff, you'd do the same ;)

For fun, I printed the shell with the original SpartaDOS X logo on it, since there was some interest in seeing a nod to the original mark...

For some reason the box didn't want to slice (probably the perimeter was a bit tight). I think it looks fine the way it is anyways. Don't think I'm going to tinker with this model any further, and move on to the next case. If someone REALLY wants the box completed around the logo for their own case, I'm sure I can figure out why. Wasn't a big deal for me.

So there you go... In all it's glory! Heh. :)

COREi64

IMG_2807.jpg

• Like 8

It wouldn't come out as nice because of the orientation the hat/shield is printed in. Changing the orientation of how that part is printed would adversely affect the strength of the part.

So, the short answer is no.

Thomas

COREi64