IGNORED

Bad Ebay Buyer List - Feel Free to Add

Mats90245

I do not get this second part. I have cancelled sales before, usually because the buyer request it. The money is immediately taken from my paypal and put back to theirs. The ONLY thing you could be complaining about is if you buy from your checking account and yeah it is going to take time to rip funds from your account just as it will take time to put them back.

Buy from paypal, keep money in paypal and you should not have problems. Funds are transferred immediately. If your funds are in limbo I guarantee that is NOT caused by the seller unless they don't cancel right away. Soon as that transaction is cancelled funds get taken from the sellers paypal immediately.

Basically, I bought a camera case on ebay, that the seller didn't ship. My Ebay page showed the item as 'unpaid', and when I clicked for more details, it said the seller hadn't claimed payment. Didn't ship, no contact. So I tried calling Ebay, becuase I couldn't open a case since the transaction wasn't complete. They suggested I try talking to Paypal.

Well, according to Paypal (via email, phone, and even twitter support)- despite the seller listing a US location, their account was set to a foreign currency, which meant they had to approve payments in US currency. Since they didn't approve or deny the payment, I couldn't get a refund or open a case- my money was effectively trapped in limbo until a 30 day inactivity limit passed, with would trigger an auto-reject and send my payment back. 28 days in he approved the payment- since I'd been expecting that & checking in every day, I filed a case right away.

My only saving grace was he tried it on too many people (at least 50 others bought the camera bag alone), and his account got ganked- so my case was closed in my favor immediately. If he'd been more clever, he could've sent a fake tracking number and rather effectively run out my clock to open a case. (Well, not mine maybe- I keep track & open a case regardless if the time's running out. I definitely know a lot of people who'd just be out their money, though.)

I definitely know a lot of people who'd just be out their money, though.)

First off not possible.

Second I have encountered the money not claimed thing before but that is not normal sellers. I think I have encountered it twice in the past 16 years I have had an ebay account. It is basically international buyers taking US currency because it is worth more from my understanding.

- despite the seller listing a US location, their account was set to a foreign currency, which meant they had to approve payments in US currency. Since they didn't approve or deny the payment, I couldn't get a refund or open a case- my money was effectively trapped in limbo until a 30 day inactivity limit passed, with would trigger an auto-reject and send my payment back. 28 days in he approved the payment- since I'd been expecting that & checking in every day, I filed a case right away.

Not sure I follow all this but it seems like a glitch or system exploit that the seller was aware of and using to scam. It reminds me that I encountered a glitch also beyond eBay's control a couple months ago with an international buyer. I had to cancel the sale in order to avoid having to ship a Coleco tabletop game TO JAPAN for FREE. Basically at the time (maybe still?) if an international buyer "requests an invoice" they have permanently bipassed the Global Shipping Service for that transaction and it is impossible for eBay to bill them for the shipping. I'm not sure the end game, if they just hoped for free shipping or if they would make an item not received claim afterwards too, but the eBay rep eventually told me there are scammers requesting invoices for this reason and that this looked like a scam. I got a flurry of international offers around that time and guessed they were all related to the scam.

And that's why I never ever open myself up to anything but US only sales on ebay for years now. I've seen that scam played out on people enough times and read more of them after the fact with a google search too in the past. Once that GSP went in it just made things worse for better scam tactics than before. The saving bit, though not for the scammers but legit buyers is I'm fairly regularly getting people using drop ship companies in the US to buy the item for them. I end up shipping to one of those spots and the address has an added code alphanumeric style on line one with the address street. The item is there, and like ebay GSP, they inspect and then repackage and send it to wherever (often it has been for me China.) Ebay doesn't care and I don't really either, because the buyer loses all rights once the drop shipper opens it, and so they don't get shut out by ebay.

They leave feedback that is 100% appropriate and I do in return. They have better manners than stupid lazy Americans who won't leave any feedback like 75% of the time unless I withhold mine until I get some (which bumps it up a bit.)

I'll ship internationally on a gaming forum like this, but that's it, and it's kind of case by case.

With ebay what you have is a stupid problem of their setup. Even if you think you block international, you have to do it in like two different places, and then the GSP too. Basically it was years ago but I had to click through a bunch of boxes isolating out continents, regions, and so on nixing one thing after another until no one outside the US had the right to bid let alone see my stuff. Then the GSP kicked in and if I accidentally leave that item active with it (they used to default ON) anyone can go for it so I keep on top of that.

With ebay what you have is a stupid problem of their setup. Even if you think you block international, you have to do it in like two different places, and then the GSP too. Basically it was years ago but I had to click through a bunch of boxes isolating out continents, regions, and so on nixing one thing after another until no one outside the US had the right to bid let alone see my stuff. Then the GSP kicked in and if I accidentally leave that item active with it (they used to default ON) anyone can go for it so I keep on top of that.

It's crazy that it's like that and that eBay knows about these exploits and that when they happen and are confirmed eBay still can't override or do anything to fix it. Maybe at that point they just let it play out in order to let the transaction fail without offending anyone.

Why they set you up as a seller to accidentally offer international shipping I can't really explain. When I had to talk to them on the phone about the Global Shipping problem though I think she said it was a new program. So maybe it will be more transparent in the future, if the program survives.

I can explain it. Up until a few months ago when the GSP came along the default settings were locked in, and even overriding a setup you created. So despite my regional lockouts to the entire world but the US, the GSP would be checked. When you usually do something in sales on ebay it saves your general settings for a lot (just not price/bin, weight, package size) but the others like the last shipping choice/price and others stay. The GSP would consistently check and recheck so it was a battle for a couple years. And if you went in to edit something, it would again turn it back on trying to perpetuate their overpriced shipping scam that hurts people with high fees on top of shipping in the name of so called import taxes (which when it slipped by me they paid anyway giving ebay free extra money.)

I can only guess they saw enough people complaining about it they finally defaulted it to off.

• Like 1

You guys make the international shipping seem like it took a rocket scientist to bypass it. You simply select:

"other shipping options" = none

Done!

I on many items still ship to Canada so if I want to allow Canada I change "other shipping options" = flat

I then select: ship to = Canada. In the rare instance I want to ship to a different country I will select: ship to = custom location, then go through the checkboxes and select say "Germany". Then add the service and price.

Yes I did find the box that you had to uncheck for GSP a tad annoying because it would always default to on, however that has since been defaulted to off at least for me. Then again unchecking a box was not that hard.

I sell often on eBay but never use their shipping services. I prefer to deal directly with Canada Post. I usualy ask a fix price for shipping and then adjust the service to the closest one price wise. Since the most expensive shipping is 3 days, the mid one is 4-6 days and the slowest is 5-10 days to the USA and they usually get there faster thna their max delay it doesn't really matter which one I chose, but I do pick the fastest for the amount paid. Often I bump it up at my expense.

For Canadian destination, regular mail is 2-4 days for just about any major cities in the country.

What more do you want? Putting more restrictions and penalties on sellers keeps hurting ALL sellers. Accidents happen. Sometimes items get damaged and a seller would have to cancel. There is no good way to stop bad sellers w/out hurting good ones.

I do not get this second part. I have cancelled sales before, usually because the buyer request it. The money is immediately taken from my paypal and put back to theirs. The ONLY thing you could be complaining about is if you buy from your checking account and yeah it is going to take time to rip funds from your account just as it will take time to put them back.

Buy from paypal, keep money in paypal and you should not have problems. Funds are transferred immediately. If your funds are in limbo I guarantee that is NOT caused by the seller unless they don't cancel right away. Soon as that transaction is cancelled funds get taken from the sellers paypal immediately.

My take on this is until sellers get better treatment the buying aspect has more than enough. You may get your money on hold from time to time. I get mine stolen! I think sellers need better treatment before buyers can even begin to complain.

It depends how the original transaction is funded. If you use PayPal credit or fund the payment through PayPal using a credit card (which provides added buyer protection), the seller has the option to not refund to the original payment method, but can issue an e-check which can take 5-7 days to clear. Frankly, paying with your bank account or PayPal balance is foolish if you are someone like I am that pays off my credit card balance every month and has great credit card rewards. In any event, it's not a both or nothing thing. There is nothing wrong with increasing buyer protection and also believing that sellers should have some additional protections as well.

Edited by bojay1997

Wow, I'm amazed this thread got to two pages without schoolgirlinashortdress being mentioned. AtariAge is slippin...

Anyway, I'm really glad that this information is available, as I previously have asked fellow sellers for their blocklists so I in turn can keep safe. There are indeed bad buyers out there (and bad sellers, to be fair), but I've only rarely had to deal with either. As long as we provide a reason why we recommend blocking any particular buyer this thread should be fine. It could be anything from an outright crook of a buyer to "merely" an overly picky buyer. For example, years ago I had one buyer try to insist on having a package notarized, in addition to signature confirmation, insurance, etc. Another time, I had a buyer (junkbgone) not even open an expensive package for 45 days, then neg me without any contact or a chance to offer a fix.

Some buyers just aren't worth selling to at any price.

Add another flakey eBay buyer to my list.

Globalizedmerchandise

He won 2 of my auctions on Monday and just sent me a message saying to cancel the orders because he just wasnt into these games anymore. So I had 11 auctions close this week and 3 were cancelled because people changed their minds.

Its apparent that we can just bid at will on eBay and then change our minds later.

Ive included photos of the three auctions in question. All were no reserve (starting at $.99) and had low shipping charges. I though people loved auctions like that where eBay determines the fair price. Im done with that. Ill list things with ridiculous Buy It Now prices and if people want to buy it, they can. If not, Ill keep everything.

F eBay. As you can tell, Im frustrated.

post-50497-0-00164800-1515698064_thumb.jpeg

post-50497-0-04577700-1515698085_thumb.jpeg

post-50497-0-92049100-1515698105_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

Its apparent that we can just bid at will on eBay and then change our minds later.

Yep, there is ZERO consequences for buyers on ebay. They can do whatever the hell they want. This is one reason I 99% only do BIN's. I try to price my items based on what items sells for and adjust on condition. Usually for the stuff I want to move fast it will.

• Like 1

BIN with instant payment is the way to go from now on.

I also wonder if some of the non paying buyer are in fact shill account from ressellers that don't like competition...

Why not? The guy who wasnt into these games anymore has over 1000 transactions. Ill check him out now.

Update. Hes selling something right now.

Edited by Mats90245

Im so done with this nonsense.

So now theyre asking me to cancel this guys orders. So its my responsibility to clean this up? What happens if I just leave it?

Im so over eBay. Been selling off and on since 2004 and have had some really nice stuff over the years. Im done after this. Ill toss a couple items up on this site, but nothing seems to sell here.

Those apps (OfferUp, LetGo, etc) might be the new method of selling. Way to fuck up a good thing idiot buyers and eBay.

Edited by Mats90245

Add another flakey eBay buyer to my list.

Globalizedmerchandise

He won 2 of my auctions on Monday and just sent me a message saying to cancel the orders because he just wasnt into these games anymore. So I had 11 auctions close this week and 3 were cancelled because people changed their minds.

Ive included photos of the three auctions in question. All were no reserve (starting at $.99) and had low shipping charges. I though people loved auctions like that where eBay determines the fair price. Im done with that. Ill list things with ridiculous Buy It Now prices and if people want to buy it, they can. If not, Ill keep everything.

F eBay. As you can tell, Im frustrated.

you could try to sell them to the 2nd highest bidder, a "second chance offer. It sometimes looks shady to some bidders, but may be worth a try. Be sure to block that dumbass.

you could try to sell them to the 2nd highest bidder, a "second chance offer. It sometimes looks shady to some bidders, but may be worth a try. Be sure to block that dumbass.

Thanks for the suggestion. At this point, I thought I was done selling and am not interested in trying to convince the people who lost to buy my stuff. Ill keep the boxed games in my collection (theyre nice ones) and figure out a way to get rid of the rest.

The clown that changed his mind today has sold a lot in the past so he knows he can get away with it. eBay couldnt care less about enforcing bids or doing anything other than collecting money from people.

Done with eBay

We are disagreeing here. As a seller you have the options of either setting a reserve, making your start price the min. you will sell for OR like I do it just make it a bin. It is pretty shitty to not complete a transaction YOU agreed to just because the bids didn't go as high as you would have liked.

Exactly and that is my point. When I said there is an astonishing amount of bad sellers out there who cancel an item because it sold too low has listed it in an Auction setting without a fixed buy it now. If you don't like the price it sold for then keep it as a buy it now only. As a seller you're going against ebays code of ethics policy. Not only that its a dick move.

On another note, I don't care what you say, but buyer's should receive respectful customer service. Straight, to the point and professional. This is directed to the sellers that expect me to start kissing their keister and jack the shipping price up afterwards too.

If a legitimate problem arises after the sale and it's due to your (the seller's) negligence, then make it right and fix the problem.

If you're a seller and you disagree with the above mentioned, then you're a douche. (Unless of course you have stuff no one else has that we'd like. Then us buyer's can grumble under our breath and reluctantly purchase from you)

I agree with what someone mentioned that mom & pop stores should always know how much stock they have. Especially John Smith selling his personal collection from home as an auction and expects top dollar.

I was giving power sellers the benefit of the doubt. If they have 30 of one item and 1 gets broken/misplaced, then its understandable, we're human.

Edited by Bodyshots
  • Like 1

Look this is a useful marketplace topic because people are being screwed in the market by scamming buyers who play games gaming the system at ebay (amazon too.) There should be a bad buyer list and separate from sheisty sellers/traders as it's not the same. The sellers and traders steal your money or goods in a bad sale or trade. The bad buyer takes your item and then extorts money or steals it all and or the product using lies and obstruction which is similar but different enough.

Perhaps, but when I sell things to a person that found my ad online, that I've never dealt with before, I flat out tell them paypal f&f or e-transfer only. I had a false claim filed against me before. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

It's safe to say that bad transactions can occur to anyone from all walks of life. There is however a higher percentage of problems/headaches with certain clientele who want certain things. Video games obviously being 1 of those

Exactly and that is my point. When I said there is an astonishing amount of bad sellers out there who cancel an item because it sold too low has listed it in an Auction setting without a fixed buy it now.

I understand what you are saying and I agree with you. My initial comment was disagreeing w/sellers needing harsher penalties for canceling. That will just hurt everyone.

See you see that as a problem and while it is undesirable it is perfectly legal according to eBay's terms and conditions.

"A buyer can ask to cancel a transaction within 1 hour of purchasing the item, even if they already paid for it."

scroll down to timelines.

https://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/cancel-transaction-process.html

That's en eBay rule. So is it not fair that a seller can cancel as well?

This is also an eBay rule under same section.

"If you haven't shipped the item, you can cancel the transaction up to 30 days after the buyer has paid for the item."

What you are complaining about is perfectly legal and allowed by eBay for both sides.

I think focus should be on buyers who abuse the system and do what is NOT legal. A seller cancelling your order if fully legal.

• Like 1

I understand what you are saying and I agree with you. My initial comment was disagreeing w/sellers needing harsher penalties for canceling. That will just hurt everyone.

See you see that as a problem and while it is undesirable it is perfectly legal according to eBay's terms and conditions.

"A buyer can ask to cancel a transaction within 1 hour of purchasing the item, even if they already paid for it."

scroll down to timelines.

https://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/cancel-transaction-process.html

That's en eBay rule. So is it not fair that a seller can cancel as well?

This is also an eBay rule under same section.

"If you haven't shipped the item, you can cancel the transaction up to 30 days after the buyer has paid for the item."

What you are complaining about is perfectly legal and allowed by eBay for both sides.

I think focus should be on buyers who abuse the system and do what is NOT legal. A seller cancelling your order if fully legal.

You seem to be disagreeing with your own post.

You mention that :

A buyer can ask to cancel a transaction within 1 hour of purchasing the item, even if they already paid for it."

Who are they asking? Me, the seller? Your post doesnt say they CAN cancel, only that they can request to cancel.

When you place a bid, it used to say that you were agreeing to purchase this item and your bid was binding. Now, you can bid and if you change your mind, you can simply cancel without any consequences.

They can cancel, I was on the phone w/eBay and if you request to cancel within 1 hour eBay will cancel for you if seller does not.

Thats what I thought. So why are people bothering me asking me to cancel their order?

Whatever. Selling on eBay is a hassle, but so is buying stuff from some of the sellers on there. Its a place that used to be cool, but Im having a much better experience on OfferUp and LetGo these days. But I live in LA and my job takes me all over Southern California, so I have access to lots of stuff.

Again, don't use auction, use BIN with instant payment. You can also opt in the non paid item service so that the person buying and not paying gets a strike on their account.

people tend to have less remorse when using BIN instead or over bidding on an auction.

Thats what I thought. So why are people bothering me asking me to cancel their order?

I guess I was not specific enough. They can not cancel on their own. They HAVE to open a cancel request. EBay is lazy and greedy and as such don't want to be bothered to enforce what they allow. They want sellers to waste their time and cancel the sale so they can hold it against us and our seller status for cancelling.

Once a buyer goes through the proper steps only then will eBay step in and actually cancel the sale for them if you do not.

• Like 1