IGNORED

How many unsold Jaguar consoles did Atari dispose or "recycle"?

Pink

Supposedly Atari had around 100,000 unsold Jaguar consoles at the end of 1995 from what I read (no clue as to how accurate it is but who knows?)

https://venturebeat.com/2013/04/25/consoles-that-wont-die-atari-jaguar/

Atari’s report to stockholders that year was bleak: “From the introduction of Jaguar in late 1993 through the end of 1995, Atari sold approximately 125,000 units of Jaguar. As of December 31, 1995, Atari had approximately 100,000 units of Jaguar in inventory … . There can be no assurance that Atari’s substantial unsold inventory of Jaguar and related software can be sold at current or reduced prices if at all.”

I know Tigerdirect bought some and sold them dirt cheap on their site around 1997 and obviously Brad from Best Electronics. But did those two, and maybe any other company that managed to get their hands on some, buy all the of the remaining unsold consoles Atari had on hand? (i've read KB Toys supposedly had massive displays of them for like $19.99 in the late 90s, but seeing as how I am 25 and was only born in 1992 i'm too young to remember and obviously wouldn't of been paying attention as a 6 year old or whatever)

Or did Atari have a bunch of leftovers that they ended up disposing of, or recycling, or whatever? Just how many factory sealed Jaguar consoles does Best Electronics have on hand?

http://www.vintagecomputing.com/index.php/archives/1012/retro-scan-of-the-week-atari-jaguar-in-tigerdirect

Edited by Pink

I know Tigerdirect bought some and sold them dirt cheap on their site around 1997 and obviously Brad from Best Electronics. But did those two, and maybe any other company that managed to get their hands on some, buy all the of the remaining unsold consoles Atari had on hand?

Or did Atari have a bunch of leftovers that they ended up disposing of, or recycling, or whatever? Just how many factory sealed Jaguar consoles does Best Electronics have on hand?

Yes. No. Only Bradley knows.

• Like 1

You'd be surprised how many CD units didn't ship either... completely packed but no outer box... the boxes were there but they figured f-it so you can probably by one separate from the other in brand new condition... that stock pile will be doled out at one or two a piece for the next 15 years at some stupid arsed ebay price of 300 400 500 dollars to fools that believe that last unused brand new in the box is really that.... I've watched it be sold so many times.... don't worry another will be found.... amazing! just 3 or 4 short months later... pfffft

That being said I think there's still 4 jags laying about this place and for sure one with working CD..as my kids have it for primal rage, hover, and I.S. mostly Primal is what they play on that though...

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 2

I don't know about Atari but there were still regular Jag systems and more games at various stores (mostly Kay-Bee Toys) around here well into the 2000's. They were always in those discount white wire bins with partly crushed boxes and such, and a few boxed systems behind the counters. Nobody at all cared until recent years. Independent shops and thrift stores seemed to have one or two units fairly often until about 2010-2011 or so. 2011 was the last time I actually saw a Jag system (in a beat up box) at a Goodwill. It was all of $35 or so.

• Like 1

Found a post on a different message board (not sure if were allowed to link to other message boards?) someone saying they found a copy of Zool 2 at a KB Toys in 2007 for 25 cents, dangggggg

$.25 seems a bit incredulous, but either way, must've been a super heavily discounted type of going out of business deal. Their stores closed 2 years later.

$.25 seems a bit incredulous, but either way, must've been a super heavily discounted type of going out of business deal. Their stores closed 2 years later.

I remember finding an NIB copy of Startropics for the NES at the local Kay Bee toys in 2001 for $5. It's amazing what collects dust for 5-10 years in the back rooms of toy stores....lol

• Like 2

In all honesty, jag was trash that nobody wanted bitd. Sure it had its fans but so does every obscure console. Unsold inventory gets disposed of all the time. If 1% of the exiting unsold stock from bitd were recovered, it would be enough to satiate the current market. The demand for jag merch even today is small, but existing stock is even smaller.

• Like 2

It was a liquidation, Atari had already tried Kay Bee Toy liquidators, Big Lots, direct market by this point. The last games post NBA JAM and Telegame releases only happened because Atari was forced to show some support for the system so they could get the reverse merger a0p0[\][[[[[[[[[[[[p-]

\zzzwith the dis drive company to go through.

This is the original source financial document from the time that Atari announced they were getting out of Jaguar business

http://google.brand.edgar-online.com/displayfilinginfo.aspx?FilingID=261582-33477-51099&type=sect

From the introduction of Jaguar in late 1993 through the end of 1995, Atari sold approximately 125,000 units of Jaguar. As of December 31, 1995, Atari had approximately 100,000 units of Jaguar in inventory and the value of Jaguar inventory and related software was approximately $9.9 million. Due to disappointing sales of Jaguar and increased competition from products introduced by Sega and Sony, Atari reduced the suggested retail price of Jaguar to $99.99 and recorded an inventory write-down of $12.6 million in 1995. There can be no assurance that Atari's substantial unsold inventory of Jaguar and related software can be sold at current or reduced prices, if at all. In addition, any further decrease in the value of such inventory could result in substantial additional inventory write-downs by Atari.

• Like 5

I know Tigerdirect bought some and sold them dirt cheap on their site around 1997 and obviously Brad from Best Electronics. But did those two, and maybe any other company that managed to get their hands on some, buy all the of the remaining unsold consoles Atari had on hand? (i've read KB Toys supposedly had massive displays of them for like $19.99 in the late 90s, but seeing as how I am 25 and was only born in 1992 i'm too young to remember and obviously wouldn't of been paying attention as a 6 year old or whatever)

I graduated HS in the mid 1990s. There were a couple of toy stores that sold games and other things... Electronics Boutique, Kay Bee Toys, and some other toy store that had just been bought out by KayBee Toys.

Never the less, I bought two Atari Jaguars from Kay Bee, and even went back and bought a third.

They were $20 bucks each, or $25... couldn't remember exactly.

The regular games were anywhere from $5 to $7 bucks, with CD games ranging anywhere from $9 to $11 bucks. Oddly enough, the CD drive was still over $100 bucks, so I didn't get it at the time.

I did buy at least one of every game they had, which included Alien vs. Predator for $7 bucks (brand new), Wolfenstein 3D, and at least 20 or so others. Also got Primal Rage on CD, and a few others.

They didn't have Doom though, that game was sold out at every store.

I knew / realized at the time the prices were cheap... so I bought them while I could.

• Like 4

• 7 months later...

I used to frequent Kaybee as a kid in the 90s and that is where I got my Jaguar for $29.99 in 1995 and then I bought every game I could possibly find for it by scouring every Kaybee I could get to. Unfortunately by then at least the stores I went to only had the lower end games (Checkered Flag, Zool 2, Zoop, Pitfall, Kasumi Ninja, Flip Out, Club Drive) and none of the more popular or really good titles (AVP, Doom, Rayman, Power Drive Rally, Defender 2000, Ultra Vortek).

I loved Kaybee and wished I could have found more of the Jag titles and bought more than 1 console and definitely the CD unit and the games! Obviously considering the prices these days that would have been a steal! I am envious of 82-T/A for the prices they paid and what they seemed to have scored!

this is where, the numbers for amount of consoles produced seems off, granted when atari was going strong pre liquidation only babbages, eb games, software etc, and kb toys, walmart towards the very end would carry them.

but you have a 25 yr old machine that produced around 350k units that still has enough units going that a person selling a game for it online can sell 100 to 300 copies. math seems off, did seem like post liquidation, brand new jags were available even today i believe best electronics still has a few left new in box.

do wonder what the production numbers truly were?

The cheapest I had ever seen them were $19.99 but that was when KB was going out. No clue why I didn't by more but I suppose at a time when one is enough, it didn't make sense to stock pile them. Of course I tell myself that now lol

Back in the 90s I don;t know of anyone who was stockpiling. But to have known then what we know now I would have bought a whole wall of Jaguars and Virtual Boys from Kaybee! For some who have tons of those consoles stocked up they were smart to do so. Alas we wouldn't have known how well the Jag would be worth today. Makes me think of that book form Back To The Future 2, to be able to know who would win in games before they happen. I'd have turned out like Biff and been a millionaire!

• Like 2