IGNORED

tiatune - TIA music player with "correct" tuning

utz

Wow, after 5 years of being a member of this forum I finally managed to actually code an Atari thingy icon_biggrin.gif Made a little sound routine for the mighty TIA, which fixes the "detune problem". This is achieved by re-implementing the TIA waveforms in software, and controlling playback with 16-bit pitch accuracy. All AUDC waveforms except 2,3 and E are supported, playback rate is approx. 10 KHz. The player takes 100% CPU time so it isn't suitable for use in games or demos, unfortunately.

If you've followed last year's Silly Venture VCS music competition, you will have heard the player in action on the entry named "Tunabit", which took 2nd place.

Anyway, I'm now releasing the source code, as well as an XM converter that can be used to convert music composed with a specially crafted XM template. Disclaimer: I'm only a beginner-level 65xx coder so please tell me if you spot any bugs/possible optimizations/etc.

github

download (includes win32 converter + xm template)

tunabit.bin

• Like 7

Wow, after 5 years of being a member of this forum I finally managed to actually code an Atari thingy icon_biggrin.gif Made a little sound routine for the mighty TIA, which fixes the "detune problem". This is achieved by re-implementing the TIA waveforms in software, and controlling playback with 16-bit pitch accuracy. All AUDC waveforms except 2,3 and E are supported, playback rate is approx. 10 KHz. The player takes 100% CPU time so it isn't suitable for use in games or demos, unfortunately.

If you've followed last year's Silly Venture VCS music competition, you will have heard the player in action on the entry named "Tunabit", which took 2nd place.

Anyway, I'm now releasing the source code, as well as an XM converter that can be used to convert music composed with a specially crafted XM template. Disclaimer: I'm only a beginner-level 65xx coder so please tell me if you spot any bugs/possible optimizations/etc.

github

download (includes win32 converter + xm template)

VERY NICE!!

is possible to use this with a static image? ie: like a game title before the game starts

i`m asking cos the page says

Limitations

===========

- 100% CPU time used, cannot render graphics at the same time as playing music

and i'm thinking if this means no render at all, static AND rendering an animated player0 for example.

cheers!!

Edited by zilog_z80a
  • Like 1

Sadly it's not possible to output any gfx with this player, because it does not produce a stable image. I do have plans for a simpler version however. That one will mix 2 simple saw wave channels, have a stable kernal and maybe even leave some time free on each scanline to do some additional ops. However, I don't understand yet how to do a VSYNC without introducing wait states, which would be crucial for pulling this off.

• Like 1

Sadly it's not possible to output any gfx with this player, because it does not produce a stable image. I do have plans for a simpler version however. That one will mix 2 simple saw wave channels, have a stable kernal and maybe even leave some time free on each scanline to do some additional ops. However, I don't understand yet how to do a VSYNC without introducing wait states, which would be crucial for pulling this off.

ty for your work.

Kind regards.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

However, I don't understand yet how to do a VSYNC without introducing wait states, which would be crucial for pulling this off.

There is no (too) big deal with VSYNC. If you are able to sync to scanlines to display a picture, then you will be able to sync to VSYNC too.

Let me know if I can help.

• Like 1

Most likely Deadline and/or VCFB, provided those are happening. No clue what to code though. I was going to do something with KC-85/3, but now that a KC-85/4 demo has happened at Revision my motivation for that has been lowered significantly :o

• 3 years later...

I am no musician, but I have some ideas how to accelerate the main loop which would allow for higher frequencies than 10.4 kHz (best case 16.6 kHz).

@utz hasn't been on AtariAge since April 2018, so I am not sure if he is watching or would be interested. Anyone else who wants to step in instead? Or at least interested in general?

• 3 weeks later...

In the last couple of weeks, Thomas and I (well, mostly Thomas) have been working hard on a major upgrade for tiatune. The upgrade includes:

• Optimized waveform generation code, increasing the sample rate from 10.4 to 13.5 kHz.
  • More compact player, freeing up ca. 700 bytes for music
  • Support for all TIA waveforms
  • More compact music data format
  • Variable global song tempo
  • Optional simple visuals

Enjoy it while it's fresh :-D and let us know if you run into any issues with this new release.

source code

download (includes XM converter for Windows)

new demotune:

waverider.bin

• Like 7