IGNORED

ECS 16KB RAM Expander for Sale

Lathe26

This is awesome! Now I need to find some time to see if I can fill in some holes on the Sears part numbers at the website.

I remember writing down that stuff on a list, as well as a small color TV for my room and figuring out how many hours I'd need to work to save up enough money for all of that.

• Like 1

Nice find. Somewhere I have a promotional pic showing the memory expansion module - probably posted here somewhere. I'm thinking it was a block of painted wood like the Inty II Intellivoice.

Sent from my Keyboard Component using Jack's Conversational Intelli-talk cassette

And here I thought you had one that made it out of the labs for sale... :_(

You jackass. I thought someone found one and was selling one. I mean, not that it's particularly useful, as the ECS is one of the worst computers of its era, but still...

LOL @ RAM costing almost as much as the entire computer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAMes-H21pc

LOL @ RAM costing almost as much as the entire computer.

$80 was a fair price for 16kB of sram. The computer is in the Intellivision so it costs $200 without the 16kB expansion. You could buy a 16kB Timex Sinclair for $80 at the time. The music synthesizer at $100 seems expensive; it doesn't even have the synthesizer chips.

There's no ecs software in the catalog; no world series baseball or mind strike. There's no tron solar sailer or treasure of tarmin either. They do have Locomotion rather than happy trails.

$80 was a fair price for 16kB of sram.

In the very same Wishbook you could buy a 16KB TI-99/4A for $99. The entire computer, including the RAM, was only $20 more than the INTV RAM alone. :lol:

64KB computers were $250 at that point. An INTV+ECS+16KB RAM was $280. Not exactly a good deal for 1/4 of the computer (RAM-wise... in other areas I'm being generous by only going that low). Hell, you could get a 48KB Sinclair for $180 - although the only advantage that had was RAM; graphically it was dogpoo.

Dram was coming down in price faster than sram, and I might be wrong but the ecs wasn't designed to take dram. It didn't matter, the Intellivision was already obsolete by end of 1982.

TI-99 is a bad example, they were in a price war with commodore and were selling the ti-99/4a at a loss.

Edited by mr_me