IGNORED

Plague (Atari 2600)

MemberAtarian

2018.02.09. - Update

I think these may be the final versions.

PAL:

PAL60:

(flicker and interference is because my recorder can really not handle 60Hz)

I did not record the NTSC because I don't have an NTSC console, Z26 emulator does not emulate the timing errors and somehow even the older and the current Stella both does not want to let Fraps record my gameplay, only the sound.

There were things those I could work and and some that I couldn't. Mostly because of the 262 cycles.

.Now, as asked, the fire button makes you jump, so on the last part as you are shooting sick people you have to use UP for shooting. It's a really easy part, so it won't disturb you hopely.

-I tried to go under 262 cycles as possible, that was the most disturbing thing, creating a lot of jumps if something is not needed. You can see that there are some levels where you can jump on platforms under them, it's because I had to turn off pfreads for those parts, that is the command that eats most of the cycles. Sometimes it will happen in the NTSC and PAL60 versions, with PAL you have more cycles, so it works perfectly, but it's slower because of the 50Hz.

-There will be some glitches, it's because I would need TWICE of the pfreads to make sure if there is an object in front of you, over you or under you. The hardest part was jumping, so I had to make strange decisions in coding that I am not proud of.

-Unfortunately, I had to cut the last boss because of the strange sprite placement of BB, it puts them into the last bank no matter what and of I don't want to put them all there, creating a long cycle that causes overload again and sometimes, I could cry instead of shouting and hitting the desk or the keyboard. :D

-I tried another way to make the score background black, but make the last row of background gray, so you could recognize holes easier, I could insert this little code

asm
minikernel
sta WSYNC
lda $00
sta COLUBK
rts
end

into vblank, but it left out a lof and there was a lot if gray under the last row of blocks (BB leaves the 12th row empty for vertical scrolling), and to be honest, it looked uggly.

-You can press Select, it does the same thing on the titlescreen as reset, I used it for testing and jumping to the desired room, now it goes to room0. I wanted to remove it, but if I do it, the game won't load the main cycle with the gameplay. Why won't it? Don't know, BB has some really strange and unfair things, sometimes it "creates errors" while compiling that makes no sense.

I think other errors were corrected that I found while testing, if you find more, please, tell me!

I attached the code of someone is curious about it.

https://www.4shared.com/archive/q19JSx1jca/titlescreen.html<< The title screen for assembling.

2018.01.25. - Update:

The two main music got an update, and I show you one of the two bosses. :) It's a reference to something. :)

2018.01.15. Update:

New rooms, objects and the cave. :)

2018.04.01. Update:

Some little changes were made based on requests.

2018.01.14. Update:

This is the state I'm right now. Unfortunately I had to remove a lot of ideas (mostly collectible items) because I just had ran out of variables. Of course there are var0-var8 besides a-z, but they are part of the playfield, so after I redraw the playfield, they are set as the playfield is set at that. This would make these variables only usable inside of the room, but I mostly need counters and these varx-es can only have 0 or 1 as a value.

The other thing I don't know how to solve right now is making you jump across the pf above if there is only one block in your way, so two or more blocks should punch you back. The problem with this is that you cannot place two pfread commands in one f statement, even if you create two values for the pfreads and compare only the values.

The third thing is I used the p1 for the doctor because the kernel settings I done removes the missile0 (I will have to use it in the last battle) and the multispite kernel only works for p1 sprites, so the stages look a bit hollow, I know.

You are the famous and misanderstood plague doctor of the middle ages, collecting herbs and at the end, duel a battle with Death itself. (That will be the only part of the game where you can use the projectile). A still have to manage scrolling the screen and putting there the other objects. :)

Gameplay:

post-43241-0-45526700-1515742710.png

post-43241-0-99866500-1515742715.png

Plague-Test.bin

PlagueTest2.bin

PlagueFinalNTSC 1.01.bas.bin

PlagueFinalPAL50 1.01.bas.bin

PlagueFinalPAL60 1.01.bas.bin

PlagueFinalNTSC 1.01.bas

PlagueFinalNTSC 1.02.bas.bin

PlagueFinalPAL50 1.02.bas.bin

PlagueFinalPAL60 1.02.bas.bin

PlagueFinalNTSC 1.09.bas.bin

PlagueFinalPAL60 1.09.bas.bin

Edited by MemberAtarian
  • Like 16

Hi guys,

This is the state I'm right now. Unfortunately I had to remove a lot of ideas (mostly collectible items) because I just had ran out of variables. Of course there are var0-var8 besides a-z, but they are part of the playfield, so after I redraw the playfield, they are set as the playfield is set at that. This would make these variables only usable inside of the room, but I mostly need counters and these varx-es can only have 0 or 1 as a value.

The other thing I don't know how to solve right now is making you jump across the pf above if there is only one block in your way, so two or more blocks should punch you back. The problem with this is that you cannot place two pfread commands in one f statement, even if you create two values for the pfreads and compare only the values.

The third thing is I used the p1 for the doctor because the kernel settings I done removes the missile0 (I will have to use it in the last battle) and the multispite kernel only works for p1 sprites, so the stages look a bit hollow, I know.

PlagueTest2.bin

Edited by MemberAtarian

Man...looks fantastic...with unique and difficult jumps and very impressive sprites. I also love the NO HOPE and NO CURE messages...

I don't understand the cave section, however.

There will be only this tree cave section. :) The first has really no hard part, you only have to jump across. The second had floating platforms, so you have to guess jumps. The third has that annoying "bridge fall" and a little trick at the end. I know it's only easy for me because I know the layout. :) Score works as continue here, but if you waste too much, you can't create enough medicine.

Messages are important part of this game. :)