IGNORED

downloading games to the 2600

Trip2018

I don't think downloading a ROM to an SD card is too much work.

It honestly can be. I've worked with people that cringe at the mention of a file copy operation. A simple drag'n'drop. Anything more than a 3 or 4 click operation is completely baffling.

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 2

Like game line? (Or newer, Sega channel) we had one for intellivision, and I think there was, or was planned, a 2600 version.

A service wouldn't fly, at least for old stuff, but a homebrew channel would be cool. I'd see it being more useful to play multilayered online. I'd prefer a ptp type(just call up who you want to play) as opposed to a server someone would have to maintain. Basically lan or something. Building a piggyback cart to talk to another system and the cart would be neat.

Don't know how hard it would be to do, but I could certainly see some cool things doing with it.

• Like 2

Why? And who is paying for the development of the hardware, software and server costs?

I'll admit I have no reason why, other than the fact I think it would be cool.

I can't see it as a viable business, so there's no one to pay for it, and no reason it should/will happen.

Just dreaming a silly dream. Pay it no mind.

PlayCable.. for Intellivision.. wasn't that it?

Yes: http://www.intvfunhouse.com/hardware/playcable/

Did you start working on it yet? Or are you still collecting ideas?

Unfortunately my wiring expeirence isn't top notch (I do have some expierience, it's not as good as you might hope) nor do I have the parts, however I am still collecting ideas, parts and expeirence. Maybe I could start after I finish some of my other projects as I have a lot of them on my plate. :woozy:

I did think up one idea:

wifi pcb

Instead of downloading games it would be online high score board and server cost could be as cheap as $30 with a raspberry pi zero W and cooling system provided by the developer.

Any Idea/suggestion is appreciated. :)

p.s. If anyone could help find some scematics for some sort of wifi cart or the harmony cart deveolpment that would be awesome, Thanks :-D

It honestly can be. I've worked with people that cringe at the mention of a file copy operation. A simple drag'n'drop. Anything more than a 3 or 4 click operation is completely baffling.

This is shockingly, SHOCKINGLY common. I also frequently meet people unable to grasp the concept of doing work in one program while another runs in the background. Their brains are locked into to concept of shutting down one program before opening another.

Many people are just now understanding PC concepts that were old in the mid-80s.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

THIS idea may not have panned out and may not be worth time. But what about other things? Surely you have ideas for other projects?

That is why I closed It. 20% of my ideas are just ones that I throw out there to see if anyone is interested, another 60% are unfinished, and 20% are finished or just need a little adjustments (probably spelled that wrong). I'll stick to programing in Bb and scratch. And if you are interested in some of the projects I have made you should check out my scratch account https://scratch.mit.edu/users/Brain52/or my tennis homebrew http://atariage.com/forums/topic/273748-atari-3d-tenis/?view=findpost&p=3924374

Wasn't someone working on a cart that had WiFi or bluetooth enabled for wireless transfer of roms to the 2600?

EDIT: Found it.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/247229-atari-2600-cartridge-with-wifi/?p=3401835

It appears the user lost interest in the idea.

There is a type of SD Card that does this, if the Harmony supports it. People have used them with the Ultimate Cart on the 8-bit computers successfully. Toshiba FlashAir SD WiFi card.

Ohh yeh I forgot about the Wi-Fi SD card. It lets you send/receive, doesn't it?

And I would think the only compatibility issues that'd arise would be the FileSystem and size. If the Harmony can hande it, it'd be good to go wouldn't it? You could then transmit your games to the VCS without having to worry about plugging and unplugging the SD card.

Personally, I believe the tech world tends to create solutions to problems that don't exist. In fact, I might suggest a Harmony cart user have several SD cards at the ready. One with favs, one with space games, one containing the early first 2 years of releases.. Or homebrews. Or whatever. Just a thought.

Alternatively, if you're one that genuinely likes to play with tech toys, then, yeh, sure.. The Wi-Fi SD card + Harmony could be a solution for you, if they work together, just that it would operate slightly different than a PlayCable or GameLine. You could potentially write a script to transfer groups of roms to the card on a set schedule, thus simulating a broadcast. That'd get you closer. Just thinking here.

There is a type of SD Card that does this, if the Harmony supports it. People have used them with the Ultimate Cart on the 8-bit computers successfully. Toshiba FlashAir SD WiFi card.

Ohh yeh I forgot about the Wi-Fi SD card. It lets you send/receive, doesn't it?

And I would think the only compatibility issues that'd arise would be the FileSystem and size. If the Harmony can hande it, it'd be good to go wouldn't it? You could then transmit your games to the VCS without having to worry about plugging and unplugging the SD card.

Personally, I believe the tech world tends to create solutions to problems that don't exist. In fact, I might suggest a Harmony cart user have several SD cards at the ready. One with favs, one with space games, one containing the early first 2 years of releases.. Or homebrews. Or whatever. Just a thought.

Alternatively, if you're one that genuinely likes to play with tech toys, then, yeh, sure.. The Wi-Fi SD card + Harmony could be a solution for you, if they work together, just that it would operate slightly different than a PlayCable or GameLine. You could potentially write a script to transfer groups of roms to the card on a set schedule, thus simulating a broadcast. That'd get you closer. Just thinking here.

That's a great idea. I didn't know that wifi sd cards existed, Thanks. ;-) :thumbsup:

Edited by Trip2018

It seems complicated, but I wonder if there could be hardware or a utility added to the Harmony cart that could send and receive controller information to/from your WiFi SD card, to the PC and then also a program that could send it to someone else's PC for playing online. I imagine the lag would be horrible simply due to the 2600's read/write speed. I know there is an underground network created for PlayStation 2 for online play after Sony shut the official one down, but the PS2 was already set up for it.

My games folder checks in at just over 35MB. That's every commercial NTSC release plus every homebrew ROM that's been made available and tons of WIP games and prototypes.

If you want them "all at once," you can download Rom Hunter's collection here. Unzip the archive, copy the games you want to your SD and play them whenever you want. Take your 2600 to a friend's house? Your games are still there!

As a way to distribute games, it's not practical at all. And that's not even getting into the legal and ethical problems with distributing copyrighted material on a paid subscription service.

Two player support over wifi? That's something worth looking into.

that last part, someone should do it! would that be impossible to make something like that or what?

It seems complicated, but I wonder if there could be hardware or a utility added to the Harmony cart that could send and receive controller information to/from your WiFi SD card, to the PC and then also a program that could send it to someone else's PC for playing online. I imagine the lag would be horrible simply due to the 2600's read/write speed. I know there is an underground network created for PlayStation 2 for online play after Sony shut the official one down, but the PS2 was already set up for it.

I might just look into how online play was achieved in the javatari emulator.

Or we could make a device that just records and broadcasts the video signal and recives button input and that would be the server console. Then we could make a reciever console with no 2600 reqired that could show a list of server consoles available and send\recieve it's data.

Example: _________________

____________ ___________ | |

| | \ / | | | ============== |

| SERVER | \ \ / / | RECIEVER | | =============== |

| CONSOLE | O ) | | | | ( O | CONSOLE | | ===============|

|____________| / / \ \ |___________|-----------------------------+ | =============== |

| | | / \ | | | | | | =============== |

| | | \ / \ / | | =============== |

| | | | | | | ============== |

___|^|____|^|__|_ | | | |______TV______|_|

|\____________/| ____|_ ____|_ |___________________|

|/_+ +_===_+ +_\| | o _ | | o _ |

|=============| | |O| | | |O| |

|=============| |_____| |_____|

|____a2600____|

|_____________|

Edited by Trip2018

I might just look into how online play was achieved in the javatari emulator.

Or we could make a device that just records and broadcasts the video signal and recives button input and that would be the server console. Then we could make a reciever console with no 2600 reqired that could show a list of server consoles available and send\recieve it's data.

Example: _________________

____________ ___________ | |

| | \ / | | | ============== |

| SERVER | \ \ / / | RECIEVER | | =============== |

| CONSOLE | O ) | | | | ( O | CONSOLE | | ===============|

|____________| / / \ \ |___________|-----------------------------+ | =============== |

| | | / \ | | | | | | =============== |

| | | \ / \ / | | =============== |

| | | | | | | ============== |

___|^|____|^|__|_ | | | |______TV______|_|

|\____________/| ____|_ ____|_ |___________________|

|/_+ +_===_+ +_\| | o _ | | o _ |

|=============| | |O| | | |O| |

|=============| |_____| |_____|

|____a2600____|

|_____________|

better exaple:

design.bmp

That's a great idea. I didn't know that wifi sd cards existed, Thanks. ;-) :thumbsup:

yea they have been around for many years, I used to have a compact flash wifi / storage card on my cassio PDA, its not ever been all that popular though cause people would have to do stuff