What I figure are the top 10 historical titles:

SMB1, 2, 3

Duck Hunt

Legend of Zelda and Adventures of Link

Metroid

Contra

Mike Tyson's Punch-Out

Megaman (pick one; 2 seems to be a popular choice)

My personal 10 most played and/or nostalgic (at the moment):

Super Mario Bros.

Bubble Bobble

Contra

Arkanoid

Bump 'n' Jump

Marble Madness

Double Dragon II

Dr. Mario

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Arcade Game

Duck Hunt / Excitebike (tie)

• Like 1

Off the top of my head, nothing too surprising and in no particular order:

SMB

SMB2

Kid Icarus

Metroid

Legend of Zelda

Donkey Kong Classics

Double Dragon

Dragon Warrior

Excite Bike

Life Force

Runner ups:

Contra, Super C

Gradius

CastleVania I, II, III

Defender II

Tetris

SMB3

Ghosts & Goblins

Iron Tank

Punch Out

RC Pro Am

Blades of Steel

Ice Climber

Kung Fu

10 Yard Fight (I realize I'm the only one who likes this game)

I kept mine to ten, but 10-Yard Fight, Blades of Steel, Ghosts N Goblins, or Excitebike could be on the list also. Especially Blades of Steel.

These are some great lists. I'm not good at coming up with top-10 stuff, but let me say some here mentioned Popeye, Contra and Castlevania II. Definitely great games. Someone also mentioned Monster Party. Agreed, and let me throw in another supernatural one -- Ghoul School.

Let me mention a couple rarities that are fun: The Blues Brothers and The Search for Dr. Stanley Livingston.

Someone mentioned Shadowgate. How about Tombs and Treasures?

Also, one of my favorites: Back to the Future. Love this one, with the street scenes and the challenge sequences (blocking the hearts is especially tough).

I think Friday the 13th is a cool game, but as with many Nintendo Entertainment System games, the frustration level was uncalled for.

Ok, you guys are going to force me to play NES today I guess. Right now before that happens, my list is:

-Castlevania III

-Castlevania

-SMB 3

-RC Pro Am

-Micro Machines

-Mike Tyson's Punch Out!!

-G.I. JOE

-Super Tecmo Bowl

-Journey To Silius

-Batman

Actually, after writing it down, I think I want to play Journey To Silius today. That is one great platformer. Batman is the only one on my list I don't have anymore, don't know what happened to it. I could one-life that game in my prime.

Adventure Island

Excitebike

Felix the Cat

Fire 'n Ice

Gun Nac

Popeye

Rainbow Islands

R.C. Pro-Am

SMB (insert number here) I love them all.

The Legend of Zelda

My close followers that had to get edited to ten...

Adventures of Lolo

Bubble Bobble

Chip 'n Dale's Rescue Rangers

Contra

Dig Dug

DuckTales

Kid Icarus

Krusty's Fun house

Mega man (3)

Solomon's Key

Tetris

Tiny Toon Adventures

• Like 1

These are some great lists. I'm not good at coming up with top-10 stuff, but let me say some here mentioned Popeye, Contra and Castlevania II. Definitely great games. Someone also mentioned Monster Party. Agreed, and let me throw in another supernatural one -- Ghoul School.

Let me mention a couple rarities that are fun: The Blues Brothers and The Search for Dr. Stanley Livingston.

Someone mentioned Shadowgate. How about Tombs and Treasures?

Also, one of my favorites: Back to the Future. Love this one, with the street scenes and the challenge sequences (blocking the hearts is especially tough).

I think Friday the 13th is a cool game, but as with many Nintendo Entertainment System games, the frustration level was uncalled for.

Popeye on the nes has the speed, but misses some of the movements and/or movement accuracy the colecovision and the arcade had. I think the colors are too saturated too. Having said that, it's probably my favorite port of it, but I do love my coleco...

• Like 1

I'm leaving the SMB, Zelda and Metroid games off the list. They're to the NES what vowels are to Wheel of Fortune...

In no particular order...

Golf

Spy Hunter

Duck Hunt

Gradius

Ikari Warriors

Mega Man

Track and Field

Bomberman

RC Pro Am

Excitebike

Edited by Inky

Not a list, but I foind a new game I liked a lot, and definitely makes my top 10: Gun Nac. It's an easy scrolling shooter. Well, easy untill about the third level. There it starts getting quite tough. Still, it's a pretty weird game worth checking out for people into scrolling shooters.

The game is so weird, that when I tested it in my multi games pirated system I thought it was a homebrew. But then I played it and it was so good I actually googled it to learn more. It's a legit release. And there I go on e-bay, and what do you expect? A less known JP scrolling shooter on the NES. Of course it's expensive. Found out abouit the game 10 years too late. :/

• Like 1

10 Galaga

9 Mappy

8 Dig Dug

7 Bump N Jump

6 Millipede

5 Donkey Kong Classics (Is that cheating?)

4 Defender II

3 Galaxian

2 Popeye

1 Balloon Fight

That's probably a different list than you normally see

I see what you did there . . . Was Dig Dug released in North America? I somehow have it in my head that it is Famicom only. Galaxian too right? Famicom only? (not that it matters) Also, talk about why you like Galaxian so much more than Galaga on this system. I'm just interested.

I can't name a top-10 specifically, but some of the games that got a LOT of gameplay in my youth:

RBI Baseball

Baseball (Vs. home version)

Bases Loaded

Tecmo Bowl

Tecmo Super Bowl

Kings of the Beach

Metroid

Mike Tyson's Punch Out!!

Contra

Super Mario Bros.

Except for Kings of the Beach, you and I had very similar experiences with NES. We did play good ole "Volleyball" quite a bit at the beginning, so I guess that is close. I'd probably throw Zelda on there in place of one of the baseball games and could be satisfied with that list. Even for someone who doesn't really appreciate side scrolling platformers, there really are a ton of great games for the NES.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

A top 50 list would be more realistic for me, heh. Too many games I really enjoy on the system.

"Top lists" for me are an ever revolving door. What I play the most frequently is generally what I'd consider my favorite at the moment, so In the last couple of years these are the ones I have probably gone back to the most for one reason or another:

Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse

Ninja Gaiden

Battletoads

Mega Man 2

Super Mario Bros.

Contra

Castlevania

Adventure Island

Silver Surfer

Ironsword: Wizards & Warriors II

• Like 1

These lists are always so difficult but here's mine.

Battletoads: Yeah it's cheap in parts but I love it.
Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers: Super easy but it's my favourite Capcom game on the system. I always go back to it.
Faxanadu: I love the world, music and gameplay in this.
Journey to Silius: I discovered this one later in life and it blew my socks off.
Kickle Cubicle: Devilishly hard and cute, this edged out Boulder Dash and Dr Mario to make it on my list.

Micro Machines: Best unlicensed game on the system? I've played this game across a lot of consoles over the years but it's the NES version that I love the most.

Ninja Gaiden: They got it perfect with the first game.

Shadowgate: Crazy atmosphere, great music, lots of death. Fantastic stuff.

Super Mario Bros.: My favourite Mario game.

Super Mario Bros. 3: Better than SMW.

Edited by Cepp

• 5 months later...

Last week I got an NES system and started playing NES games on real hardware again for the first time in probably 4 years or so, and it got me really enthused about about the console and wanting to talk about some of my favorite games for it. After doing a little forum digging I found this thread, so I decided to bump it up and add my own Top 10 NES Favorites list. :)

10. Xevious

I was really torn about whether to go with Xevious or Zanac for the #10 spot on my list. Zanac is the technically superior shoot 'em up and I really love it's intricate power-up system, but there's just something so timeless about Xevious that makes it feel infinitely replayable. It's a simple, straightforward, and (to me at least) relaxing game that I can pick up and play whenever.

9. Double Dribble

There's only two basketball video games I've ever really adored. One was NBA Jam: Tournament Edition on the Sega Genesis, and the other was this little gem for the NES. It's a simple game with only four teams to choose from but it plays wonderfully and I've always thought the animated cutscenes that occur when you do a slam dunk were so cool. Free throw!

8. Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

There's a long story behind my history with this game that I've gone into detail on here, but the short version is that not only was Zelda II the first Legend of Zelda game I ever played but also the first NES game of any kind that I ever played. Zelda II was my introduction to the NES, and for that it will always hold a special place in my heart, but it's also a great game that I can still sink a dozen hours into today.

7. Dragon Spirit: The New Legend

If there are two game genres that really personify the NES to me it's shoot 'em ups and light gun shooters, and it was a heck of a challenge trying to narrow down the list of all the NES shoot 'em ups I love for this Top 10. I've played just about every shoot 'em up there is for the NES and Famicom, from Gun Nac to Summer Carnvial '92: RECCA, but my favorite of the bunch is by far Dragon Spirit: The New Legend. It's basically Xevious with dragons, power-ups, and a pretty involved story for a game of this style and age with lots of anime inspired cutscenes. If I could only keep one shoot 'em up game for the NES, this would be the one.

6. Freedom Force

Speaking of light gun shooters, at #6 on my list is an absolutely awesome light gun game that you don't hear about too often. It plays a lot like Lethal Enforcers (and that's a very good thing) except with *gasp* blood and gore! There's not too many licensed NES games that actually have blood in them when a character gets hurt, but Freedom Force is one of them. It also happens to be an excellent game with a great difficulty curve, an innovative power-up system, and a pacing that feels just right for a single shot light gun like the NES Zapper. Freedom Force provides a healthy challenge and plenty of arcade-style shooting action but won't wear out your trigger finger after 5 minutes like Operation Wolf.

5. Mechanized Attack

Next up is another beloved light gun game, and this one is the cream of the crop for the NES when it comes to bringing the arcade light gun experience home. SNK really knocked it out of the park with every aspect of Mechanized Attack. The game is paced just right for use with the Zapper, the graphics are extremely impressive for the NES, it's got a nice assortment of power-ups, big epic boss battles, and branching paths to give the game a ton of replay value. There's really nothing bad I could say about this game, it's the best of the best in the world of NES light gun shooters.

4. My Little Pony: Dr. Discord's Conquest

I have a confession to make... I've never liked Mega Man games. I don't know if it's the high difficulty level or just the overall aesthetics of the games that turn me off, but I'm not into Mega Man. What I am into though is My Little Pony, and this very impressive MLP themed hack of Mega Man 3 made me love Mega Man's style of gameplay for the first time. There's been a few My Little Pony themed games over the years, both official and homebrew, but this one is by far the best of the bunch. It looks and sounds just like a My Little Pony game on the NES should, and it plays great with a high level of challenge that's definitely not for kids. After playing through this game I think I might have to hunt down a copy of Mega Man 2 and give the blue bomber another try!

3. Hogan's Alley

While not as deep or technically impressive as SNK's outstanding Mechanized Attack, there's just something about Hogan's Alley that keeps me coming back to play it again and again; Game B in particular. It's a short and simple game that masterfully executes a perfect balance between fast paced light gun shooting and split second decision making, creating a very engaging and addictive experience that always makes me want to play just one more game. Objectively it may not be the best light gun shooter on the NES, but it's always been my favorite.

2. Super Mario Bros. / Duck Hunt

When I got my first NES long ago this was the pack-in game, and I can't think of a more timeless combination to show off what the NES was all about. Super Mario Bros. is the quintessential platformer that revolutionized the way people thought about video game design for decades to come and Duck Hunt is the perfect approachable, family-friendly game to show off the precision and accuracy of the NES Zapper. Super Mario Bros. and Duck Hunt are like peanut butter and jelly, and you're never too old for a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

1. Castlevania

I love horror movies, horror stories and horror games, I always have. As far back as I can remember I've been captivated by vampires, werewolves, zombies, mummies, lake monsters, and all the other things that haunt children's dreams and go bump in the night. Leave it to Konami, one of the NES's most iconic game developers, to create a game that combined every scary thing I've loved since childhood into one enormously challenging game that kept me coming back to play it again and again no matter how difficult it got; until I had mastered every single level and learned every trick and secret the game had to offer.

Normally I'm not a big fan of kick-your-ass difficulty games, but there's just something so appealing to me about Castlevania's seamless combination of horror tropes that made me want to keep playing and trying again when I would normally give up and walk away from any other game. Needless to say I did play Castlevania enough over the years to truly master it, and now (on a good day at least) I can beat the game on a single life. I still go back and play through Castlevania at least once a year every year, and each time I do it still feels just as fun as the first time I played it. There's very few games that have ever drawn me into their world quite like Castlevania, and that's why it's my favorite NES game. :)

Edited by Jin
  • Like 2

Uhhhh...let's see here. Probably not the definitive top 10 but these are games that I still play on the platform, and that should count for something to me.

Final Fantasy

TMNT 2

SMB 3

Super C

Bases Loaded

Double Dragon

Tiger Heli

Dr. Mario

Nintendo Tetris

Dragon Warrior (1-4, they're all pretty solid RPGs and I wanted to get some of the other games on the list)

I'm not 100% sure of the order within the top 10, but these are the games I played a lot as a kid and continue to return to:

1. Blaster Master
  2. Cobra Triangle
  3. Contra
  4. Archon
  5. Double Dragon II
  6. The Legend of Zelda
  7. Shadowgate
  8. Rad Racer
  9. Ice Hockey
  10. Track and Field II