IGNORED

Has anyone done CMD HD-xx D64 emulation, or over 254 partitions?

OLD CS1

Now I have my SCSI2SD installed and partitioned in my HD-40 I have been messing around with it along side my SD2IEC.

In its own right the SD2IEC can replace the HD-40 but with the added D64/71/81 emulation. Has anyone done disk image emulation in the CMD HD devices? Is there enough room left in the ROMs to implement such a thing?

I am considering how best to set up my 64 and and reconfigured 128D systems, and given the design of the SD2IEC I have (connects to the tape port for power) it is highly likely the CMD HD will go to the 128D. I could get away with native and 1541/71/81 partitions (especially for GEOS 128,) but having the use of disk images would be icing on the cake.

Then comes the question of storage space. 254 partitions of 16MB native partitions gives roughly 4GB of storage, but when using drive emulation partitions used space can dwindle wasting larger cards. Has the 254 partition or 16MB size limit ever been exceeded?

sd2iec can do partitions (I wrote the code to do it :-). Just partition the FAT32 into multiple primary and extended partitions, up to 15.

But, I am not aware of someone adding image support to the CMD HD and FD series DOS.

However, I think it can be done.

Jim

I found in the sd2iec repository a file called "empty.dnp.gz" which, when extracted, is a formatted 16MB "native partition". I do not think it can be NEWed to change its disk name (I get a syntax error returned from the drive) but the file itself can be renamed and CDed into with CD/:

While, yes, you can place files in the FAT/FAT32 directory of the SD card, and it is exceptionally easy to do, long filenames is a pain and a-half since the firmware shortens everything to 8.3. While you cannot access the DNP from Windows (so far as I know, I have not tried with something like DirMaster, yet) at least creating files natively with up to 16 character file names works just fine.