IGNORED

SCART-GENIE V1.0

Shift838

All,

After my needless failures of trying to solder a DIN connector for my Geneve to work on testing a SCART to HDMI converted, I decided since I have seen it work as well as using a LCD like the Samsung 910mp or 510mp maybe a small board would be nice to have.

I have designed one in Eagle and it measures about 2.8" x 3.2".

I will be proving it on a breadboard before I decide to order a few prototype boards to see if I need to make any revisions. Once ready I will release them.

What it does:

• Allows a Geneve 9640 to connect via SCART to either
    • Directly to a SCART enabled monitor (if that monitor is supported)
    • Directly to a SCART to HDMI video converter
  • Dip switches used to set if using SCART Monitor or SCART to HDMI
  • utilize a standard 2.1mm wall wart for 3v DC
  • Stereo Phono Jack
  • Dipswitch to enable or disable Stereo phone jack for selection of Internal or External speakers

The thought is that a standard 8pin HD audio cable male to male such as used for Monster speakers as these are shielded very well that will connect directly to the Geneve and then to the SCART-GENIE device. A male to male SCART cable to connect from the SCART GENIE device to the SCART monitor or SCART to HDMI video converter.

Parts on the board:

• 1 x SCART Female PCB mount connector
  • 1 x 8 Pin DIN PCB mount connector
  • 4 x 4 position dip switches
  • 1 x 2 position dip switch
  • 4 x 1k Trimmer PCB mount (controls CSYNC, R,G,B lines) for final adjustment if using a SCART monitor
  • 2.1mm DC Power Jack PCB mount
  • 1 x Stereo phono jack for use with PC speakers

I have finished tracing all the connections on the PCB layout and all check out on paper.

Once I finish proving it out and order the prototype boards and get them all to production level then I'll post it here. I'll be doing a board order once done and if you want it assembled and tested or if you just want the board.

PM if you are interested.

post-35187-0-57201700-1516370766.png

Edited by Shift838
  • Like 5

Chris,

I've got a working monitor at the moment, though I know it is old and the screen is not huge. It was free with the Geneve at the time, so i can not complain.

Your board. You plug it into the Geneve, and if I understand things correctly, it takes another device SCART to HDMI to then allow me to plug into a HDMI monitor???

Will all HDMI monitors work? As far as estimation, what would be costs between your device and available SCART to HDMI converter if my understanding is correct on the requirements?

Trying to get an idea. I'm interested, just not at a 100% ready to commit until I know some more details.

Beery

Chris,

I've got a working monitor at the moment, though I know it is old and the screen is not huge. It was free with the Geneve at the time, so i can not complain.

Your board. You plug it into the Geneve, and if I understand things correctly, it takes another device SCART to HDMI to then allow me to plug into a HDMI monitor???

Will all HDMI monitors work? As far as estimation, what would be costs between your device and available SCART to HDMI converter if my understanding is correct on the requirements?

Trying to get an idea. I'm interested, just not at a 100% ready to commit until I know some more details.

Beery

Beery,

The board plus into the geneve with a standard 8 pin male to male DIN cable. It does not replace a SCART to HDMI and just allows a user to use either a SCART monitor or a SCART to HDMI converter with an HDMI monitor as well as external speakers. The whole reason to make t his board was to make it easier to hook up to monitors because those damn DIN connectors are such a hassle to solder. This way you just buy existing cables and PLUG-N-PLAY. ( I could not resist the Windows95 slogan!)

SCART Monitor:

Geneve --> 9640_Genie --> SCART monitor

SCART to HDMI converter:

Geneve --> 9640_Genie --> SCART to HDMI Converter --> Monitor

DISCLAIMER: Also not all SCART to HDMI converters work the as well as others. There are a couple like the Elefant ( i'll need to verify the spelling) that work's good. And you would be able to use it with any HDMI monitor or KVM. I have also seen that not all HDMI monitors work as others as well. I have seen on a 32" 1080p tv that it worked flawlessly and there was no interference, but on a small 19" HDMI 720p TV i had interference waves.

• Like 1

SCART-to-HDMI means there is some analog-digital conversion, right? As far as I know, DVI had an option to accept analog signals (as DVI-I, not DVI-D), but HDMI?

There are a group of pins on the DVI-I connector which carry what is VGA (DVI-A.) While I have never seen this, someone else here reports that some monitors have a DVI-I connector with the extra analog pins to accept an SVGA signal input without the use of a separate SVGA input. I have only ever seen the DVI-I on a video card, never a monitor as the monitors will have a DVI-D connection.

HDMI supports DVI as an overlapping signal-set without audio.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been chatting with JediMatt and he pointed me to a Sync Cleaner using a LM1881 to clean up the Sync signal for the Geneve. I have built one on a breadboard and it seems to do a pretty good job.

I have tested it on my SCART to HDMI converter.

I have just put this on a breadboard and I will be working to implement it within my Scart-Genie board.

not much wiring for it. It basically takes the CSYNC signal and cleans it up before it outputs. using this method I was able to remove the 10k trimmers out of my cable. This could mean a smaller PCB for the Scart-Genie..

Smaller = Cheaper...

post-35187-0-21263200-1518218137_thumb.jpg

post-35187-0-10548500-1518218144_thumb.jpg

Edited by Shift838
  • Like 8

Pulling the 12v from the Geneve video port is a nice option so long as it doesn't introduce noise. I know that Tony switched to a discrete supply and/or pulling the voltage from within the monitor, in part due to signal noise issues. I later realized that Tony's SNUG system (AVPC video) and my Geneve system, both powered with an AT power supply, exhibit video signal noise that isn't present when I put the same hardware into a PEB. Not sure if it is the AT power supply or the 12v regulators going into bypass or a grounding issue or some other problem, but it was most curious to see two systems behave in the same manner.

I remember that Tony K. drew the power for the scart signal from the 12v on the video out from the geneves video port. Would this be possible to include in your design and eliminate the extra ps?

It is possible. I may make an option for that. I am currently thinking of powering it via a 5v USB adapter and dividing the voltage with JediMatt's design to get the volts down to around 2.2 volts, which is sufficient. i'll look into it.

Technically 12V has the advantage of signaling a 4:3 aspect ratio on one of those SCART pins (pin 16 I think), if you have an actual SCART input on an HDTV... Most physically 4:3 displays probably ignore it though. So probably not functionally significant.

I personally didn't want to pull any power off the Geneve if I didn't have to. People here seem to be obsessed with pulling external peripheral power from internal sources. I suppose the 'RF modulator' power is designed for that though. I'd take InsaneMultitasker's anecdotal evidence as "It is a bad idea, no need to support bad ideas, when the original design was a fine idea" (Just my opinion btw) It should work, but why? if it may create a less happy experience.

-M@

• Like 1

Technically 12V has the advantage of signaling a 4:3 aspect ratio on one of those SCART pins (pin 16 I think), if you have an actual SCART input on an HDTV... Most physically 4:3 displays probably ignore it though. So probably not functionally significant.

I personally didn't want to pull any power off the Geneve if I didn't have to. People here seem to be obsessed with pulling external peripheral power from internal sources. I suppose the 'RF modulator' power is designed for that though. I'd take InsaneMultitasker's anecdotal evidence as "It is a bad idea, no need to support bad ideas, when the original design was a fine idea" (Just my opinion btw) It should work, but why? if it may create a less happy experience.

-M@

Matt,

The more I think about it the more I agree. I think pulling the power from a 5v USB power supply will be just fine since most of us have these things just lying around anyway. Also, anything that could produce interference noise would be bad too.

Edited by Shift838
  • Like 1

I think pulling the power from a 5v USB power supply will be just fine since most of us have these things just lying around anyway. Also, anything that could produce interference noise would be bad too.

I wasn't trying to steer you into not testing the 12v power. It is a legitimate source of power available on an unmodified Geneve (and TI) video port. I only intended to share what I had learned from Tony, and the later realization that his system may have been the cause of the interference, not the use of the 12v power. I don't think I made my point very clearly.