IGNORED

IntyBASIC Programming Contest Rules

Intellivision IntyBASIC Programming Contest 2018

Welcome to the second IntyBASIC game programming contest held on AtariAge (thanks Albert!). The contest is open to all IntyBASIC programmers and is sponsored by Rev, cmart604, intvnut, nanochess and Albert.

Further prizes are being offered by Rev and cmart604, and awards will be given to entries that place 1st, 2nd and 3rd respectively. Drop us a PM if you'd also like to help out with some more prizes!

post-30245-0-42417000-1517152055.png

THE RULES

So you can get started, the basic rules are laid out below:

• The competition starts Thursday 1st of February 2018 and the deadline for submissions is 00:00 GMT on the 1st of September 2018 (midnight on the 31st of August) - this gives you around 7 months of development time.
  • There will be no competition unless a minimum of six entries are submitted by the deadline.
  • Your game(s) must be developed in IntyBASIC v1.2.9 and use the default prologue/epilogue files. The assembly language statements allowed within your game are the ORG statement so that you can develop a larger game and the CFGVAR statement to introduce metadata. However, bank switching is not permitted.
  • All submitted games must meet the entry criteria to be valid.
  • The games submitted do not necessarily need to be new, but must be your own work, not sold commercially or released in cartridge format previously.
  • NTSC must be supported, with additional PAL support optional (but encouraged).
  • The maximum number of single entries from a person or group is set at three. If more entries are made, the applicant has the opportunity to replace a previous entry with a new one.
  • The 1st prize winning game may be published by Intellivision Revolution (should its developer enter into an agreement to do so). This matter will be discussed privately with the parties concerned and if an agreement is reached a public announcement will be made later.
  • There will be a panel of judges (announced in full over the coming weeks), and entries will be scored on a points basis across several criteria. The decision of the panel is final.
  • All game ROMs below 1st prize (2nd, 3rd etc.) will be published in this forum after judging has been completed. However, if the 1st prize game is to be published by Intellivision Revolution its ROM will be distributed after game sales have completed.
  • All entries must be submitted via email to contest@intybasic.com by the closing date, entry should indicate clearly if source code is to be published at end of contest.
  • The judges will declare the results of the contest by 12:00 GMT on the 30st of September 2018.

GAME ENTRY

Each entry into the contest must consist of the following items to be valid :-

• Game image in *.rom or *.bin+*.cfg.
  • Brief instructions on how to play the game.
  • IntyBASIC source code (and any required data files).
  • Instructions on how to build the IntyBASIC source code (must be made with IntyBASIC compiler v1.2.9 in order to obtain same ROM file).

As part of the validation process, each entry's source code will be built using its instructions and the final binary produced must match the submitted binary image 100%. Any entry that fails this criteria will not be judged.

It is not necessary for any contestant to publish the source code to their entry. However, if they wish to do so putting indication in entry e-mail, they will be awarded an extra 5 points.

Competition contestants are free to discuss their game's progress, provide source code, uploading concept art, GIF, videos and WIP ROMs and to also help other contestants should they wish to do so. For this, we encourage they to start a thread in the official contest forum with this title "Entry 2018: [name of your game]".

Your entry must be submitted via email to contest@intybasic.com by the competition's closing date.

THE JUDGING PANEL

The panel of judges is as follows :-

• Albert Yarusso (Albert)
  • -^Cro§Bow^-
  • DZ-Jay.
  • GroovyBee
  • Intymike
  • mthompson
  • Oscar Toledo G. (nanochess)
  • Tarzilla

Judges are not permitted to enter the contest themselves. However, they are permitted to answer technical questions and provide assistance to applicants publicly when required.

intvsteve will validate the entries. His role is to ensure that only the permitted assembly language is used in the game and that an exact game binary can be produced.

SCORING SYSTEM

The criteria that each game will be evaluated on are:

• Originality (1 to 10) - Is the game based on a new idea or a twist on an established design?
  • Concept (1 to 10) - Quality of game design.
  • Execution (1 to 10) - Execution of design, taking into account controls, NTSC/PAL compatibility.
  • Graphics (1 to 10) - Quality of graphics and animation.
  • Sound (1 to 10) - Quality of music and sound effects.
  • Presentation (1 to 10) - Overall presentation.
  • Game play (1 to 10) - A measure of how enjoyable the game is to play.
  • Lasting Appeal (1 to 10) - Replay value, addictiveness.
  • Source code (5) - These points are awarded to any coder that publishes his/her game's source code publicly.

When the panel has scored each game accordingly, the totals for each criteria will be added together for each game to give it a final score.

PRIZES

• First prize:
    • Optional: CIB publication with Intellivision Revolution
    • Single copy of game in cartridge. (intvnut)
    • One game to be choosen from Copter Command, Moon Blast, Missile Domination, Jawcrusher, Oregon Bound or IntyBASIC Showcase Vol. 1 (rev)
    • One Intelliwear shirt to be choosen from https://shop.spreadshirt.com/thompson/ (mthompson)
    • Evil Rick and Morty construction set, 99 pieces. (nanochess)
    • Whole 80s setup as it might have been back in the day with a mini
      Intellivision-like Lego model, the 80s style Lego coffee table, and a glorious 80s style retro
      television Lego model to complete the setup. (-^Cro§Bow^-)
  • Second prize:
    • One game to be choosen from Copter Command, Moon Blast, Missile Domination, Jawcrusher, Oregon Bound or IntyBASIC Showcase Vol. 1 (rev)
    • One Intelliwear shirt to be choosen from https://shop.spreadshirt.com/thompson/ (mthompson)
      Smith garage rack construction set, 109 pieces. (nanochess)
    • Mini Intellivision-like Lego model plus an 80s style Lego coffee table for the mini
      Intelly to sit upon. (-^Cro§Bow^-)
  • Third prize:
      Discreet assassin construction set, 54 pieces. (nanochess)
    • Mini Intellivision like Lego model. (-^Cro§Bow^-)

Note: These rules are based on RGCD's Programming Contest 2014 rules and are used with permission.

DEVELOPMENT
The development tools and emulators needed to create and play your games can be found here.

post-30245-0-72062500-1517152123.png

post-30245-0-84856300-1517152135.png

post-30245-0-01119400-1517152144.png

post-30245-0-55319300-1519418803_thumb.jpg

post-30245-0-35644200-1519418814_thumb.jpg

post-30245-0-68683200-1519418835_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

The only assembly language statement allowed within your game is the ORG statement so that you can develop a larger game. However, bank switching is not permitted.

How about ASM CFGVAR statements that specify metadata about the game, such as author, license, build date, etc? I'd love folks to start tagging their games, so it's easier to construct things like Good ROM Names lists, etc.

• Like 3

How about ASM CFGVAR statements that specify metadata about the game, such as author, license, build date, etc? I'd love folks to start tagging their games, so it's easier to construct things like Good ROM Names lists, etc.

I think it's a great idea and it's only metadata so I added it to the rules.

2nd and 3rd place are too similar for the prizes. How about we spice it up a little, and add a prize to 2nd place: a copy of the longest Intellivision game ever written (that has an actual end)?

You're welcome to add a prize. Shot me a PM with your description and I'll add it to the prize pool.

BTW, it has been brought to my attention a small error in IntyBASIC v1.2.9 that avoids it to detect correctly PAL video, but given it's not so serious as most testing will be done in emulator and it defaults to NTSC, I promise to upload a new IntyBASIC compiler after >END< of contest.

The recompilation with the new version will correct immediately the bug without any further work from the developer side.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a bit of an idea for a losing entry. However, it will require more than the stock RAM available. Not gratuitously more, perhaps a couple of K. Clearly, this can be allocated using ASM ORG and I think would have to be accessed using PEEK and POKE. Is this permitted within the rules?

I have a bit of an idea for a losing entry. However, it will require more than the stock RAM available. Not gratuitously more, perhaps a couple of K. Clearly, this can be allocated using ASM ORG and I think would have to be accessed using PEEK and POKE. Is this permitted within the rules?

There are no RAM limits in the contest, now that you bring it, probably we will need to put something about it in next contest.

Anyway currently JLP-Flash is widely available so I don't see any problem.

PEEK and POKE also are allowed because aren't prohibited. :grin:!

• Like 1

My game is heavily influenced by the band King Crimson, and I would like to covert some of their music to use in my game. Would this be considered 'not my own work' as per bullet point #5 of the rules, or would the conversion process make it my own work? I see it being no different then porting a game from one platform to another, but I want to ask just to be sure.

• Like 1

My game is heavily influenced by the band King Crimson, and I would like to covert some of their music to use in my game. Would this be considered 'not my own work' as per bullet point #5 of the rules, or would the conversion process make it my own work? I see it being no different then porting a game from one platform to another, but I want to ask just to be sure.

Not a problem for the contest. It's a rule to prevent copy&paste of published source codes or commercial games.

Note I'm not promoting the use of copyrighted material. That is completely under your responsability.

• Like 1

Ecs is fine, isn't?

Yes, and Intellivoice as well.

Not a problem. We didn't put platform limitations.

I think the Keyboard Component may be a problem, since we wouldn't be able to test it... :)

-dZ.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I see only 5 threads for contest entries. Since the rules call for a minimum of 6 entries, has that minimum been met and there just hasn't been a thread started for certain other entries? Is DoodleJump one of the entries as well (thread is under the main Intellivision/Aquarius forum)? Just curious how many entries there actually currently are. Apologies if this info is already listed somewhere else and I just missed it.

I don't think announcing your game in a separate thread is a requirement for the contest, just a courtesy for all other participants, sponsors and fans to see which entries may be available. In the end submission is done by email. Last time I remember there were a handful of games (*) never mentioned during the development process, that just showed up in the final results so I'm fully expecting it to happen this time around as well.

Besides there still are 11 days to go, so most likely some games will pop up in the last week.

(*) Actually in 2015 there were 14 entries announced in separate threads, of which 10 ended up in the final results, plus another 3 games submitted by email without posting about it before. I think at least two of those were old WIPs polished up for the contest.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 1