IGNORED

Low Price?

https://www.gamestop.com/wii-u/consoles/wii-u-system-32gb-build-and-drive-blast-from-the-past-system-bundle-gamestop-premium-refurbished/133609

Prices are finally Coming Down. This is the cheapest I have ever seen. 139.99. Even nintendo was 200 last I saw.

But online only so + shipping. Not sure how much that would be.

And it says refurbished. Probably by gamestop. Not sure how they refurbish stuff.

So is that a good price or not?

I don't think we'll know what a 'good price' is until well after you can't get the system for that price.

The Wii U is having an extremely odd end of life phase here. It's only Nintendo's second truly failed system (after the Virtual Boy), followed up by arguably their great success to date. With other failed systems, the developer had no good reason to try and retain market/shelf space, so they let stores blowout their stock as they saw fit- 'it bombed, we're done, do what you want.' Not so with Wii U- Nintendo needed that space to be held for Switch. So it seems like they actually flushed the system- Wii U didn't clearance out, it vanished, like Nintendo let stock get returned as long as they kept their space for pushing Switch.

As a result, there's now a very low supply, and a very low demand- and that really messes with pricing. I say, if you really want one & the price looks good to you, buy it! This is not the time to worry about the best deal.

Hopefully the prices keep coming down. I wouldn't mind picking up a second one for streaming and backup purposes.

Not sure if I would trust GameStop refurbished, but it looks like Nintendo has dropped the price of theirs to $175 (deluxe model). Link: https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/browse/productDetailColorSizePicker.jsp;jsessionid=BvcKWLVwwgeiKg_PErTZr3fvJS2sC9_RV6UESt19QG9jDoKx4iql!-1113982914?productId=prod150200

Hopefully the prices keep coming down. I wouldn't mind picking up a second one for streaming and backup purposes.

Not sure if I would trust GameStop refurbished, but it looks like Nintendo has dropped the price of theirs to $175 (deluxe model). Link: https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/browse/productDetailColorSizePicker.jsp;jsessionid=BvcKWLVwwgeiKg_PErTZr3fvJS2sC9_RV6UESt19QG9jDoKx4iql!-1113982914?productId=prod150200

How much lower can we really expect though?

But white is only 8gb. 32 is more useful.

Ok so after visiting my local GameStop I can conclude that refurbished is a joke. The white one that I reserved was trashed. I checked out a "refurbished" black one and the buttons on the gamepad were stuck because something had obviously been spilled on them and not cleaned up. Needless to say I walked out of there.

Edited by toptenmaterial
  • Like 1

From what I've read, the refurbished Nintendo units are the real deal.

Yep! I ordered a refurb from Nintendo last year after my house was robbed and my Wii U was stolen. One phone call to Nintendo and they transferred all of my digital content (it was the Super Smash Bros/Splatoon edition). The refurb even came with a physical copy of NintendoLand, which my old one didn't have. Only difference was it came in a white box and I don't think it came with the rubber feet to stand it on end.

Yep! I ordered a refurb from Nintendo last year after my house was robbed and my Wii U was stolen. One phone call to Nintendo and they transferred all of my digital content (it was the Super Smash Bros/Splatoon edition). The refurb even came with a physical copy of NintendoLand, which my old one didn't have. Only difference was it came in a white box and I don't think it came with the rubber feet to stand it on end.

I'm gonna take the plunge with my tax refund. Hopefully there is still inventory left, though I imagine there will be.

I was genuinely pissed at GameStop tonight. They ought to do better.

Yeah, mine was almost definitely brand new - not a mark on anything in the box, protective plastic still stuck on everything, etc. I think they are selling at least some new units as "refurbished" because they had more system components than boxes printed up, so they used up the components and just stuck them in plain white boxes. Also, the ones they sell as refurb'd are missing one or two plastic stands that come with the "Deluxe" set, probably because they ran out of those before other system components. So they can't sell them as Deluxe sets anyway, even though otherwise they are.

I can't say all of their current Wii refurbs are like this, but I'm pretty sure I did read that everything is at least thoroughly cleaned and anything that shows really noticeable wear is replaced. So if there's a Wii U with a scratched up shell, it'll get a new shell.

Gamestop... I don't trust their "refurbishment" at all. From what I've heard, some stuff does get sent back to their head office or whatever and goes through a bit of a more intensive process, but a lot of stuff is just "store refurbished" which entails just cleaning it, and the thoroughness of that probably depends on who's working that day. I don't even think they test stuff all that well, because I bought a refurbished Wiimote (it was the only choice) and it was just straight up broken. The battery compartment had very serious corrosion from batteries that had obviously been left in it for a long time, and this was not cleaned up at all, they just sold it to me that way. And it wouldn't sync with my Wii U at all.

I would say "refurbished" stuff at Gamestop is really just "used", whereas Nintendo's refurbs really are *at least* refurbished, if not new.