IGNORED

2018 Contest Chat

I wrote some thoughts in my blog on the judging experience and the contest entries, for whoever cares to read it.

TL;DR: Judging was hard, if I was too tough it's because I care about the potential of the games, and thanks to all the programmers for putting the effort and participating! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Yeah, we've had some technical difficulties. We're using a D20 to score the winner and it chipped one side. :grin:

Just kidding! The Judges judged their just judgements jesterday. We now await for the final collation of all scores into the super-computer, and for it to tell us the winner. :)

-dZ.

If there were only 12 entries, wouldn't a D12 be enough? Or does the other 8 outcomes of the dice represent "all entries sucked, no winner declared"?

That's part of the problem. We now require a coin toss to figure out what to do with the extra points.

I count 8 judges. That means 20 in total, and you'd have a chance to throw the dice and win the prizes yourselves!

LOL!

Seriously, there's the sheer amount of work in playing each game enough in order to be able to assess its quality across all categories; then we had some technical difficulties with at least one game, which was not really the fault of the author, but perhaps some configuration issue; and now it's just the daunting task of collecting all judges' scores and compiling them into a spreadsheet (remember, all this is done by hand in multiple threads to keep track of everything).

When all that is done, then the officiator needs to put it all together into a post, include all games with their source and instructions in usable packages, and write up the final results. It's a huge amount of work, I know -- I did it last time.

All the judges want to make sure everything is done right and above board. We all agree that the quality of all entries is so good, they deserve to be judged fairly and thoroughly, and for their scores to be properly accounted.

It'll take some time, but it'll be for the best. We just ask the participants and the community to please be patient. :)

-dZ.

• Like 1

This one: http://www.gamesigshowcase.org/

http://quicksilver.com/ieee/IntlGamesSIG2018%20Classic%20Games%20Contest%20Details%20071318.pdf

It was mentioned briefly on FB under the suggestion it was well known among the Intellivision community, but I don't think it previously has been mentioned once here on AtariAge.

Edited by carlsson

Your guess is as good as mine. At the point in time it was mentioned, I calculated that anyone wishing to enter had 2 weeks to make a game, whether you had something on your back burner or would start from scratch. Certain people in this community would find it a breeze to have 2 weeks to get a game done, while the rest of us procrastinators would figure that is near impossible, in particular if you have a $DAYJOB, $HOBBIES and/or $FAMILY to attend to as well.

This one: http://www.gamesigshowcase.org/

http://quicksilver.com/ieee/IntlGamesSIG2018%20Classic%20Games%20Contest%20Details%20071318.pdf

It was mentioned briefly on FB under the suggestion it was well known among the Intellivision community, but I don't think it previously has been mentioned once here on AtariAge.

An IEEE game contest for intellivision is just epic! :-)

Just a quick note to say that we're almost there!!! The judges have finished deliberating and we have the final scores for all of the entries.

Now we just need to put our favorites in a hat and pick the winner.

:grin: JUST KIDDING! :grin:

Well, kidding about picking the winner out of a hat. We do have the final scores. :)

The winner and the final scores for all entries will be announced soon. Intvsteve is hard at work compiling the results and preparing the announcements. He will also begin contacting the contestants about their prizes soon.

Thank you for all your patience. It's been a lot of fun playing all these games. It was a lot of work, but we enjoyed them all. We found a lot of great gems! :thumbsup:

-dZ.

• Like 1

You have all the final scores, now you only need a formula to feed the scores into to match it with the winner you decided on beforehand? :dunce:

LOL! No. We just feed the individual results in the our distributed Intellivision Neural-Net Super-Computer and wait for it to either give us a winner, or take over the world. :o

• Like 1