IGNORED

What program to create D64/71/81 images natively

OLD CS1

Using CBMXfer is ridiculously slow to create D81 images. I will try using imgcopy.exe directly to see if I can coax a faster transfer.

It seems to me that using my 64/128 natively with the SD2IEC would go much more quickly but I have been unable to locate a program to do so. I am still looking tonight but about to head to bed. I would greatly appreciate if someone can point me in the right direction.

(I swear I downloaded a program, maybe from Q-Link, and have it on a disk somewhere...)

I was browsing through some D64s in my downloads directory and found cbmcmd23.d64. I just popped back in to note that I had found it and was about to try it. Reading the help file indicates it can "manage disk images" so, yes, I think it should work. Thank you!

Okay, this program is really frustrating at first. The help file is missing some useful information, or at least not concise and not clear, but the "Cheat Sheet" PDF answered a LOT of questions.

On a JiffyDOS C64, making a D81 image from a JiffyDOS 1581 to SD2IEC takes about 16 minutes. Which is still three to four times faster than the XU1541. The process is running 845B/s and I suspect would be much faster using the 128 version -- got my 128D sitting up on the rack just waiting to be brought back to life!

I guess I should get my SuperFloppy running at some point to make my life easier.

Wow! Then again a D81 is nearly five times the capacity of a D64.

The speed comparison on this page is talking about read speeds of up to 2400 bytes/second on a C64 + 1541 with JiffyDOS and up to 8600 bytes on the same C64 + SD2IEC. I don't know how much faster the 1581 is, in particular when used in burst mode on a C128 but you seem to be correct that the process ought to be possible to speed up significantly.

https://www.c64-wiki.com/wiki/sd2iec_(firmware)

Just for fun, I timed how long it takes to write a D64 to disk using CBMXfer (Windows XP) and an XM1541 cable to a bog standard 1541-II. It took roughly 1.5 minutes to write a full image. I didn't measure the time to read it back, but I think it should be in the same ballpark. I don't know if the OpenCBM routines installs its own fast saver into the drive, but times 5 it suggests that a 1581 should take 7.5 minutes to write, not 16 minutes and definitely not 45-60 minutes. But I'm just extrapolating those numbers, not based on actual testing.

D81s are 800k, roughly 4.5 times the capacity of a D64.

Oh, yeah, WRITING a D64 image takes a relatively short amount of time with the XU1541. I have never created a D64 or D81 image before so I have no measurements against which to judge. My guess is CBM Commander is not using Kernal vectors to do its reads from the disk and thereby bypassing JiffyDOS. No idea without looking at it more deeply.

I have some opportunity to play around to see what needs or can be done to speed up the process a little.

Straight file copies from 1581 to SD2IEC run about 1200B/s. Writing a full D81 to disk took about the same time as reading, roughly 17 minutes running around 840B/s.

I guess it could be something with my setup but I cannot see it out-right: JiffyDOS 64, SD2IEC, and a JiffyDOS 1581.